Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I don't know what makes them think they can charge 2 to 3 times more than an average barbershop just because they are more hip. They market themselves as old school authentic but barbers back in the day didn't hike up their prices like crazy.

There is a difference between a barber and a hair stylist...I have both now, see my barber for the past 9 years, the last 2 strictly for lineups and my beard every 2 weeks and I see my stylist every 6 weeks

The shops we're talking about have barbers though. Those trendy barbershops. We know salons charge more and cut differently. I know a guy who is a hairstylist and he said his boss has cut guys' hair and charged $250 for it.
Just like overpriced kicks. Can' t be mad if someone will pay it.

Lol barbers will charge anyone, anything they think they'll pay. Just went to a shop with a sign that said $40. I said I'll give you $20. The barber laughed and said that's fine lol

^
Ha. Business is probably slow and he'll accept even 50% payment. If places can flourish charging that much then good for them. Economy sucks and i'm poor so i'll stick to my neighborhood shop.

Just like overpriced kicks. Can' t be mad if someone will pay it.
Oh yeah. I can't even get mad or knock the hustle. The higher end place occupies better location and generally guarantees a better experience too.

When i moved across the country and was looking for a barber i would just ask people i saw who had a haircut i liked. Best decision ever cuz i found a great barber

Barber tipping should be 15-20% and no more. I also take into consideration if they are self-employed or work for a company.

My barber scissors (old head. used to hit his homies' afros back in the day) and fades me something mean. $13 for the cut but I leave $20.

I have been letting my hair grow out for the past few year and just a cut every few months or so but I'll likely start going more regularly again.

My barber scissors (old head. used to hit his homies' afros back in the day) and fades me something mean. $13 for the cut but I leave $20.

I have been letting my hair grow out for the past few year and just a cut every few months or so but I'll likely start going more regularly again.
Lemme braid your hair, b.

I've been practicing.

J. Crew CEO Mickey Drexler On Hong Kong Expansion, His Management Style And Advice To Entrepreneurs

Millard “Mickey” Drexler, J. Crew’s chairman and CEO is man whose genius you want to absorb. I got the rare opportunity to sit down with him last Wednesday in Hong Kong where he and the rest of the J. Crew team opened two separate stores for men and women. Below, we talk about the company he elevated to new heights, how he gets things done and what makes him successful.

Why is now the right time to open in Hong Kong?

I don’t think there’s a particular right time. Hong Kong has always been a dynamic and exciting and high-energy city and it has that New York thing going on and people here care about how they look. And when you have an energetic, cosmopolitan city where people care about they look then that’s the right time.

The men’s store looks amazing…

We were told that guys in Hong Kong love clothes and they would like their own environment. Men want to shop in their own stores. Women will shop anywhere. And we found in America and in London, where we’ve opened separate shops, they just ended up being more successful. That said our men’s assortments have become so important and it’s enabled us to fill stores with just men’s clothes. I’m really happy about that.

J. Crew's CEO Millard "Mickey" Drexler

Do you have a say on the look of the stores?

I look at what the team is doing and we think alike as to how a store should look like. But you have to give creative people the feel of just running with their position and point of view. I am more than thrilled with how they look. I love the men’s store. And I love the goods. If you don’t love the goods you can’t love the store.

J. Crew is so good at creating an environment that fully captures the brand.

It’s a reflection of taste level and a point of view that the team just does really well. It’s part of who we are. It’s our personality. You can’t separate the clothes from the stores, from the environment. And it’s not a cookie-cutter manufactured kind of store. I would be the first to say that I have nothing to do with the final product here specifically but that’s how we work. We have a creative team and we all care about what we do. We have pride in it and that is why we get this kind of result.

How do you get things done? What’s your management style?

I can give you the answer you want to hear but you have to ask the people who know me for the real answer.

My management style is there is no such thing as non-important people in the company. It’s a matter of people participating, listening, hearing. I think people can contribute more if you give them the opportunity to show their potential. None of us can do it ourselves and none of us is self-important to think that we can do it ourselves here in our company. We are all worker bees. We have a blue collar mentality. We just work. Not a lot of layers. My office has no walls. You can’t be removed from your team to be successful. You have to be respectful of others.

People reflect the leadership in the company. Every day you can do something better. It is about encouraging creativity and putting parameters on what’s J. Crew and what’s not. I like hanging out with the team. I have fun doing what I do and I also know that I can learn a lot everyday from the people I work with.

To what do you attribute your success?

For people who are successful, the job is never done. Everyday you wake up and think I can do better. Evaluating where you are, where you’re going. And the problem is you are never where you want to be. Most people I know who are high achievers never get to the point where they sit back and say “I’m there.” It’s always a climb to the next level. And I think that’s really important.

So you don’t think you’ve made it big then?

I think when you think that you’ve made it big, that’s the time when it’s over. And if you act like that, it’s over. Humility is an important thing and connecting is important. And most bosses in my early days I remember where a little too self-important whether they were good at what they did or not.

People I admire in business or in anything come to work everyday to figure out how they can do better, how they can contribute more and they don’t think too much about their success. There are those people who think that just because they have the title and position that they’ve succeeded. And there are those who, regardless of their position and title, continually work to succeed. It’s not the easiest way to live your life I must tell you but it is what it is.

What’s a day in your life like? Do you sleep?

I do sleep but not today. For the past 14 hours since I landed. But I do sleep well. There’s not typical day. I exercise everyday. I work everyday. And I work hard. I love what I do. When you do this, the enormous amount of discipline, business and creativity and ideas flow through every single work day and there is nothing that might not inspire you on how to do things better or what new business to explore or what to do differently.

So it still excites you?

Absolutely. And it’s really exciting working with the whole team and see new designs constantly fly out. I’m very fortunate to have the kind of position that I have.

What advice would you give to those who want to be you?

It’s a life-long commitment. Everyday is a new idea, a new barrier. My advice is learn, listen, work hard, work smart. Get back up when you’re knocked down. You have to. Be strong. Have a vision. Have a good idea. Be relentless in your pursuit of it and of course be nice about it. And at some point you’ll get there

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bluecar...management-style-and-advice-to-entrepreneurs/

Last edited:
When i moved across the country and was looking for a barber i would just ask people i saw who had a haircut i liked. Best decision ever cuz i found a great barber
This is actually a really good idea and sadly i have never thought of it.

I need a new one.  I get my hair cut once every month and a half really.  But its $22 + Tip...so i end up paying about $27 each time.  Even that is too much for me.  I keep telling my sister she needs to learn to cut hair.  I told her i would buy her clippers and scissors 
laugh.gif

Been cutting my own hair for nearly 20 years.

If I do need a cut, my dude is a barber and is nice with scissors. He's the only person who has cut my hair since I figured how to cut my own and that was only 3-5 times he cut me. Never ever takes my money, but I hooked him up with a Polo RL leather wallet since he cut my hair before my wedding last year lol.

Back
Top Bottom