Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Random comment here: Does it ever annoy you guys when you're reading a Men's fashion magazine (GQ, Maxim ,etc.) and their editorials have outlandishly prices items? Like who's buying these $3,000 jackets or $1500 shoes? Who are they marketing this stuff towards? :lol:

The casual reader is probably just getting inspiration from the GQ fits and replicating it with less expensive pieces.

I think GQ styling is pretty terrible regardless. Suits are way too tight, ugly pieces, etc. Very glad the mag is dying.

I always liked Details better. A few weeks back I went to look at their website and see the magazine and site are gone.

^ Yeah, they're all under the Conde Nast umbrella. Guess it didn't make sense to have both GQ + Details.

Good to know I'm not the only Details fan. I was hurt when they went under. They switched my subscription to GQ, and I'm really not impressed.

I don't mind those 2 mins. GQ videos on YouTube. Again everything is over tailored and over done, that is entertainment/the business, but I find it helpful for generating new ideas.

I think there's two versions cause i'm seeing the official for $400 and another for $300 in niketown and nike stores maybe it's the womens version thats cheaper :roll eyes

^ There are 2 versions. $300 is the replica, while $450 is the NikeLab version. Latter is made in Italy and has a little more detailing.

GQ has to keep up with the trend. I think it's been sold to new owners a handful of time in the last decade or so. They have to stay relevant, that's why you see dudes like Young Thug on there.

They usually do a lot of low/high stuff. High end outfit in one page, and fast fashion in the other.

Last night:

Shoes are Joseph Cheaney Threadneedle. Jeans are J Brand "Mick" that I had tapered to 6.5" leg opening.

What's a good fall shoe to dress up a bit ? Haven't tried on any Chelsea's before, but don't think I want to go that route.

I have a pair of Beckmans. They're nice but a little bulky. Only look good when I wear tapered jeans / pants.

Red Wing Beckman

Chukkas

Fall is boot weather my friend.

I just need to find the right boot I guess. I know a lot of ppl like the Beckman and wolverine 1000 miles, but personally not a big fan of either. Maybe I need to try them on as this is all based on seeing pics

my uniqlo flannels came. 

they're too big on me though 
ohwell.gif

guess i'm going to have to exchange/return them.

Random comment here: Does it ever annoy you guys when you're reading a Men's fashion magazine (GQ, Maxim ,etc.) and their editorials have outlandishly prices items? Like who's buying these $3,000 jackets or $1500 shoes? Who are they marketing this stuff towards? :lol:

You aren't alone i think this all the time.
As a man i would much rather have the mag tell me reasonable prices for things to look a certain way. Not "want to look like this? Good luck finding pieces you can afford"

Like i remember reading one GQ with JJ Redick (sp?) for Target i think it was. It was like henley and pants for $50 total. I was literally shocked it was in the magazine. I wish they would do a common man section or something. But i feel like it is all marketing based anyway. Whoever pays GQ will get their clothes in the mag.

I was salty that I missed out on the Uniqlo jig so I popped into the store yesterday. Ended up copping a flannel and the ma-1 bomber. The flannels are on point fit/quality wise for the price.

Last 3 orders from Uniqlo.
Order #5 of 7: WAS a dark gray flannel, exchanged it for the olive plaid flannel
Order #6 of 7: AirIsm Shirt and Bright Pink Sock...exchanged for White OCBD for my wife
Order #7 of 7: Navy blue twill shorts and khaki socks

Don't think I spent more than $25 on these 3 orders and my previous 4 (flannel, 12 socks, boxers)

Got that same olive flannel as a gift for a friend, then ended up exchanging it for my size cause I liked it so much :lol:

Got that same olive flannel as a gift for a friend, then ended up exchanging it for my size cause I liked it so much :lol:

Last 3 orders from Uniqlo.
Order #5 of 7: WAS a dark gray flannel, exchanged it for the olive plaid flannel
Order #6 of 7: AirIsm Shirt and Bright Pink Sock...exchanged for White OCBD for my wife
Order #7 of 7: Navy blue twill shorts and khaki socks

Don't think I spent more than $25 on these 3 orders and my previous 4 (flannel, 12 socks, boxers)
]

Curious on how the sizing is for that olive flannel. True to size?

[h3]J. Crew is making an unprecedented move to try and boost sales.[/h3][h3]  [/h3][h3]Beginning on September 12, the company will be selling some of its apparel at Nordstrom, according to a release.[/h3]
J. Crew apparel will be available on Nordstrom's website and at 16 Nordstrom stores.

"This was an easy decision," CEO Mickey Drexler said in the release. "Nordstrom is the perfect partner because we both share the same high standards of customer service and store experience. Additionally, we are known for exceptional design, quality and style, which we know will appeal to the Nordstrom customer."

But J. Crew has also become known for poorly executed styles and tumbling sales. Same-store sales dropped 8% in the first quarter of fiscal year 2016.

The retailer has been resorting to excessive discounts to clear inventory, which makes it harder for the company to demand a premium for its products.

Business Insider visited one the retailer's stores in the Flatiron neighborhood of New York City in May and found it in disarray.

Weird. Maybe they need to decrease their product lines and produce less. Along with decreasing very high prices so stuff doesn't sit all the time and people only end up buying on big sales. Their stuff will just go on sale at nordstrom now.

Last edited:
Weird. Maybe they need to decrease their product lines and produce less. Along with decreasing very high prices so stuff doesn't sit all the time and people only end up buying on big sales. Their stuff will just go on sale at nordstrom now.
Yeah they should lower their prices and make it more "college affordable" especially with that student discount. Maybe expand their sizes too?

is that what this means? Like why is Nordstom carrying J. Crew a big deal at all? Nordstrom can put J. Crew on sale when J. Crew itself won't?

Just wondering how this effects the customers. Like can i get J. Crew for cheaper at nordstrom

Back
Top Bottom