Dressing Better Vol 2.0

J. Crew is seen as very hip. Brooks Brothers seems like an older guy's store or at least that's what I think the perception was a few years ago. I'm in my mid-20s and very few of my friends have ever stepped into that store.
Yes. I think J. Crew gets a good chunk of its sales from the recent grads. The college kids who went from eating Ramen noodles to making $45k a year. They want nicer stuff, but can't afford Tom Ford yet. Brooks Bros has an appeal of 'old money' or 'boring-ness' while what is seen on J. Crew's website can be put into the pages of GQ. There is a local J. Crew store that has its on 'consultants for men". I frequent the store often and have literally seen dudes come in and say "I want to redo my wardrobe". They walk out with t shirts, shorts, suits, etc. J. Crew is a love/hate brand. The fashion in crowd hates it for being so trendy (ie wearing New Balance sneakers with suits) while the general public loves it for being trendy/hip yet still traditional.

That bad huh? They'll be returned. Any other brands around the $50-$70 price range?
Brooks Brothers.

I don't quite understand why everyone buys from J Crew. BB is cheaper when on sale (which is basically always), better quality and a wider array of fits.

They've changed it up some but I've always felt Brooks Brothers has had a certain stuffiness to it. It's more conservative, I think of middle aged men and preppy southern frat boys as their demographic. I mean, even walking into a store with its color coordinated tables of ties, many of which are very ordinary, shelves full of oxford shirts and racks of navy blazers and khakis . While they finally discovered the idea of a slim fit shirt, it took forever for there to be any actual stock in store. Then they realized that maybe their slim fit wasn't all that slim so they needed to add an extra to it. I don't think I've gone in one lately but it seemingly took forever for the stores to carry any of those too.

Brooks Brothers is good quality at a decent price but IMO there's a certain rigidity to a lot of what they sell, it's generally a little boring.

They've changed it up some but I've always felt Brooks Brothers has had a certain stuffiness to it. It's more conservative, I think of middle aged men and preppy southern frat boys as their demographic. I mean, even walking into a store with its color coordinated tables of ties, many of which are very ordinary, shelves full of oxford shirts and racks of navy blazers and khakis . While they finally discovered the idea of a slim fit shirt, it took forever for there to be any actual stock in store. Then they realized that maybe their slim fit wasn't all that slim so they needed to add an extra to it. I don't think I've gone in one lately but it seemingly took forever for the stores to carry any of those too.
Brooks Brothers is good quality at a decent price but IMO there's a certain rigidity to a lot of what they sell, it's generally a little boring.
Pretty much it. Prep AKA Southern style, Martha's Vineyard, etc.

3-4 years ago I was buying a suit for my cousin's wedding. I told the tailor I want no break, and he acted like I was talking in a different language. The traditional method is that they pull the fabric down to the bottom edge of the sole, and that's where they hem the pants for an inch of break. I showed him some images from GQ and he told me "you don't want that" :lol:

Brooks Bros deals can be had though, I truly agree with that. They have the sales twice a year I think where it is very good. J. Crew's quality is definitely not top notch, but it gets the job done for the public. This reminds me that I actually saw a guy wearing Lanvin sneakers in real life yesterday. I thought it was RFX, but it wasn't :lol:

Try black fleece by Brooks Brothers....slimmer fitting "trendier" clothing.  A tad bit pricier though.

JS"

J. Crew is seen as very hip. Brooks Brothers seems like an older guy's store or at least that's what I think the perception was a few years ago. I'm in my mid-20s and very few of my friends have ever stepped into that store.

Jcrew is for recent college grads looking to enter the workforce. Brooks Brothers is more for college students with disposable income. They are more for ivy league students. Jcrew' customers tend to grow out of Jcrew, while Brooks Brothers clients have been wearing BB since they were boys and will wear it once they are older gentlemen.

For those of you with Wives, GF's, JO's or favorite stripper. http://www.agentprovocateur.com/us-main-nav/lingerie.html

50% OFF

BB is cheaper than Jcrew sometimes, Copped like 5 BB slim fit polos in traditional colors for 14 buck each :pimp: . I wear a mixture of both, just depends what the cheapest is.

For those of you with Wives, GF's, JO's or favorite stripper. http://www.agentprovocateur.com/us-main-nav/lingerie.html
50% OFF
:lol:

Honestly y'all are spot on with your opinions on BB. Cuts are huge. I'm an extra slim dress shirt and sport shirt, slim polo and Milano pant and I'm 6'1 195, albeit a slim 195.

I do prefer southern prep, which is probably why I like BB so much. It also works very well in my profession (medicine). I'm going to have to post up a picture of my tie collection when I go back to school. Some of y'all will appreciate it.

Jcrew is for recent college grads looking to enter the workforce. Brooks Brothers is more for college students with disposable income. They are more for ivy league students. Jcrew' customers tend to grow out of Jcrew, while Brooks Brothers clients have been wearing BB since they were boys and will wear it once they are older gentlemen.

Great point, although I've been a fan of J Crew for years and I still love their stuff. Some of the outerwear pieces they've put out recently are just beautiful.

Merry Christmas!

I've never purchased anything from a JCrew store, I have purchased items from a JCrew Factory Store and the Factory website.

I like their items. From a casual standpoint.

As far as dress shirts go, I don't stray from BB (ESF), and Charles Tyrwhitt. They fit my budget and are amazing. I've purchased regular and slim fit shirts from BB. They are not slim. Usually on sale and less than $25. I get them tailored and use the ESF as a template for the tailor. I do have a couple Banana Republic shirts in there, but that's usually because they are heavily marked down with a coupon on top.

I know traditional equals boring to a lot of people. Personally traditional is timeless. A good tailor is a must.

Merry Xmas to all!

Secret Santa participants: have you all got your gifts yet?

Back
Top Bottom