Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Smh at Uniqlo. Ordered two oxfords this morning. Just to receive an email just now about them going on promotion this week only for $10 less. Contacted customer support and they told me their isn't anything that they can do about it. :rolleyes . Will be returning them store and pick up items there as well.

Last edited:
Just started my job today. I can already tell I'll get bored with wearing the same type of clothing everyday for the rest of my life. Are there any other ways that I can add something unique to a business casual wardrobe without being too crazy? I just don't want to look like everyone else but at the same time. I don't want to stand out too much. How do you guys do it?

Just started my job today. I can already tell I'll get bored with wearing the same type of clothing everyday for the rest of my life. Are there any other ways that I can add something unique to a business casual wardrobe without being too crazy? I just don't want to look like everyone else but at the same time. I don't want to stand out too much. How do you guys do it?
knit tie

Today, tweed and layering:
http://dressingbetterforless.blogspot.com/2014/03/wdiwt3314.html

How casual is the environment?

Polo and chino would be the most casual I'd go.

I'm just wondering what other options are out there or is it pretty limited

Odd jacket, no tie, fun pocket square. :D

Yeah I can do a button up. That and wool trousers is what I typically wear.

Wish it was more of a casual job so I could have more options. Everything kind of feels like a uniform.

For those who have the jcrew unsweat pants, how's the sizing? I'm a 30-31 waist which equates to a small according to the sizing chart. This accurate?

The waist is pretty true to size. You would be a small, but I would describe them to run on the big side in the thigh. Its a comfortable fit that's a little more relaxed in the hip and thigh, and slim at the ankle. If you are looking for a slimmer fit, check the slim sweat pant by J.crew, those run on the smaller side. Good for guys with skinny legs. If you have bigger thighs I would recommend the unsweat pant or sizing up in the slim sweat pant.

Welcome to the club. This is why I only do menswear on week days and do sneakers on weekends. Even some of the mc vets wear crazy stuff here and there, ie PG with AF1 lows and dress socks with shorts on his casual outfits.

Play it by ear. Try the invisible tie or no break trousers or something you'd like.

Just buy a bunch of Barena and SNS Herning :pimp:

I like a few of J Crews items, but man, their creativity is beyond ridiculous and makes me not want to buy something I'd normally want. You could buy something like a simple wool sweater that you can get literally from anywhere else, and they'll say it comes gently handpicked from an ancient breed of Norwegian lamb or some BS. Is it that hard to say 100% wool?

Last edited:
I like a few of J Crews items, but man, their creativity is beyond ridiculous and makes me not want to buy something I'd normally want. You could buy something like a simple wool sweater that you can get literally from anywhere else, and they'll say it comes gently handpicked from an ancient breed of Norwegian lamb or some BS. Is it that hard to say 100% wool?
I don't mind that part since all wools aren't the same, ie alpaca wool....as long as they keep it 100. I actually think that's one of their niche points...a mall brand that explains and utilize cool fabrics and go to unique locations for photoshoots. But some of their descriptions are :lol: and :smh:

The funny part is like "Introducing our new slim, but not too slim chinos. You don't know it yet, but they will be your favorite chinos. Get a pair or get all 15 colors. You will thank us later on".

I don't mind that part since all wools aren't the same, ie alpaca wool....as long as they keep it 100. I actually think that's one of their niche points...a mall brand that explains and utilize cool fabrics and go to unique locations for photoshoots. But some of their descriptions are :lol: and :smh:

The funny part is like "Introducing our new slim, but not too slim chinos. You don't know it yet, but they will be your favorite chinos. Get a pair or get all 15 colors. You will thank us later on".

the exaggeration is what annoys me. Instead of leaving it at Italian wool, they'll say "Handcrafted meticulously by descendants of 17th century Italian wool masters." Why? I'm not even exaggerating, that was pretty much the description for one of their suits

and yea, "Our washed shirts are so soft, you'll never wear any other shirt again." (Insert a bunch of italics).

Don't hate their products btw, I have some coats and shirts from them. Just think they use extremely obnoxious language to justify high prices, when the reality is that most people pay the high price for the convenience factor. It's really hard to find well fitting clothes that you need ASAP at any other spot (other than Express, but their clothes are built out of newspaper)

Last edited:
the exaggeration is what annoys me. Instead of leaving it at Italian wool, they'll say "Handcrafted meticulously by descendants of 17th century Italian wool masters." Why? I'm not even exaggerating, that was pretty much the description for one of their suits

and yea, "Our washed shirts are so soft, you'll never wear any other shirt again." (Insert a bunch of italics).

Don't hate their products btw, I have some coats and shirts from them. Just think they use extremely obnoxious language to justify high prices, when the reality is that most people pay the high price for the convenience factor. It's really hard to find well fitting clothes that you need ASAP at any other spot (other than Express, but their clothes are built out of newspaper)
You nailed it. It's more or less a one stop shop for guys who want to 'dress nice'. They have it all...suits, rugged boots, jeans, t shirts, shaving knives, maybe even PJs too :lol:

Factor in they have 'stylists'...easy for guys to come in and drop thousands and walk out with a 'complete wardrobe'.

I also have a lot of their stuff. Like you said as well...they have great basic pieces, especially at on sale prices.

I guess J. Crew is like a hipper Brooks Bros, but with more locations.

I completely understand where you're coming from and I think it's a bit much also, but you wouldn't believe how much that strategy works. Not to say its a scam, but when you educate people on where stuff comes from and it's longevity, to them it helps to justify the price. A lot of our customers appreciate the fact that someone took the time to choose a specific fabric and reputable manufacturer of that fabric as opposed to the least expensive / fastest option. That doesn't mean that everyone is looking for such meticulous care, some people just want to buy something nice without all the extra fluff. Thats where having a good staff comes in, people should know the difference between a customer that is interested in product specs vs. someone who could care less.

I'm looking at uniqlo more and more when it comes to basics. I don't have the patience for jcrew to have sales and my local store doesn't have much anyway.

Back
Top Bottom