Dressing better

Originally Posted by ConductZero

I got a couple of Express Solid 1MX shirts for my birthday. They are all really bright colors like bright red, bright blue, and magenta.

I can't imagine any fits that I could pull it off with. Advice?

Return them and get a white, a blue and maybe a striped colored shirt with a white base.

Stopped by the local mall. BR has a 30% off all retail tops and Gap has a buy one shirt get one free deal.

laugh.gif
at the suit article, RFX. I went to the Hugo Boss store yesterday to get my pants re-tailored. I argued with the dude for about 10 mins. I asked for a more 'modern' fit, like sutuff you would see in GQ and such. He's drawn to the more classical fit, for a lack of better word. He couldn't understand why I didn't want so much break on the inseam.

Niidawg,

I need your expert advice on suit tailoring. I just picked up an Isaia suit (full canvass) and realized the arm holes aren't as high as I want them to be. Do you think a tailor can alter it? I would think it would be possible given the fact that it's fully canvassed.. I asked SF but didn't get any response. Hopefully you (or anyone else that's knowledgeable) can answer my question. Thx!

What would look nice with a medium grey mk2 shirt?

I was thinking something along the lines of mk2 shirt, jeans, and black shoes. Any input?

Originally Posted by airboy23

Niidawg,

I need your expert advice on suit tailoring. I just picked up an Isaia suit (full canvass) and realized the arm holes aren't as high as I want them to be. Do you think a tailor can alter it? I would think it would be possible given the fact that it's fully canvassed.. I asked SF but didn't get any response. Hopefully you (or anyone else that's knowledgeable) can answer my question. Thx!

It can be done, buy by a competent tailor - probably someone who has experience in bespoke tailoring. it would require removing the sleeves, hemming up the armhole slightly, recutting the shoulder of the suit and the putting the arm back (and maintaining the sleeve pitch)

It would be a MAJOR surgery and you should probably ask yourself how you will fell if the tailor screws it up - cos its possible. might be worth just chalking up the armhole issue to your sartorial adventures or ebay and then working with another suit in that price range and a more modern cut.

good luck.

So i've never gone through this thread but i'm curious if anyone has these Levis 511 twill pants. I wanna get away from jeans and like the slimmer fit style and came across these Levis. Don't know many stores that sell them as i've never seen them. Hows the fit? Worth the $50. I'd cop all three colors if i like them but i wanna check them out in person. Thinking of ordering a pair to check out the fit and quality and if i don't like them i'll just return them. Here's a link to pacsun that has them.

http://shop.pacsun.com/guys/pants/511-Twill-Pants/index.pro?colorCd=004

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

So i've never gone through this thread but i'm curious if anyone has these Levis 511 twill pants. I wanna get away from jeans and like the slimmer fit style and came across these Levis. Don't know many stores that sell them as i've never seen them. Hows the fit? Worth the $50. I'd cop all three colors if i like them but i wanna check them out in person. Thinking of ordering a pair to check out the fit and quality and if i don't like them i'll just return them. Here's a link to pacsun that has them.

They're going to fit pretty slim. I think it's like 7.5 inch opening or something...a lot of people from this thread have to size up cause the thigh area is rather slim as well.

As for the quality..levis always seems like a hit or miss for me. there are a few pairs i've had thats pretty decent quality..and theres also some that starts ripping and fraying after 4-5 washes.

You should check out your local Kohls and Sears. I usually see a bunch of 511s over there for under $40. Not sure if they have the twill ones though.

Originally Posted by retroflashbacks

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

They're going to fit pretty slim. I think it's like 7.5 inch opening or something...a lot of people from this thread have to size up cause the thigh area is rather slim as well.

As for the quality..levis always seems like a hit or miss for me. there are a few pairs i've had thats pretty decent quality..and theres also some that starts ripping and fraying after 4-5 washes.

You should check out your local Kohls and Sears. I usually see a bunch of 511s over there for under $40. Not sure if they have the twill ones though.

Do you know how these fit compared to 514 jeans? I wear a 32x32 with 514's. Don't have 511 jeans so i can't say what i wear in those.

Nii, thanks for the insights. I might just venture out to different tailors and see what's the best option. I've actually tried looking for suits with higher armholes for a while now but to no avail.. it seems like designers have given up the fact that people want to be able to move freely with their suit on.

My second option would to go bespoke. But with the amount of time and money needed for to make it happen, I'll probably look into that in the future when I can afford it.

Sun cometh!
J.Lindeberg S/S 10 - slowly becoming one of my fav brands
JL1.jpg

JL3.jpg

tumblr_kyip4lBqjV1qargt4o1_400.jpg

JL6.jpg

JL7.jpg

JL8.jpg

JL9.jpg

Tods S/S 10
tods1.jpg

tods2.jpg

tods3.jpg

tods5.jpg

tods6.jpg

tods7.jpg

Loro Piana S/S 10
LP2.jpg
LP15.jpg

LP4.jpg
LP5.jpg

LP7.jpg
LP8.jpg

LP12.jpg
LP13.jpg

random goodies

tumblr_kyjet48pvV1qarkcco1_500.jpg

tumblr_kyj976DlPi1qarkcco1_500.jpg

and one lucky guy
tumblr_kyfky10EBh1qamyhoo1_500.jpg

those j lindberg jackets will be hot for maybe 2 years max. lol @ the fit of those jackets. damn near got the lower button on their damn chest
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

those tod loafers on the other hand (and the suede chukka too) are just
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i dont need more shoes ... but those are just pure liquid.

damn you got a trained eye, I just noticed how short the jackets are
eek.gif
laugh.gif

well I liked the fabric & pockets

Macys got some belts for over 50% off
beenhadpolo-4.jpg

for your interviews also many dress shirts for $9.99
beenhadpolo-10.jpg

thrifted some old ##+ blazer from Bill Blass for Barneys, eh $6 and kicka$$ shoehorn for $2
beenhadpolo-17.jpg
beenhadpolo-19.jpg

beenhadpolo-18.jpg

today
ymcawinterconcert-207.jpg

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

511 is a lot skinner than the 514.

Have a pair of 511s in my closet that have yet to be worn.
this is definitely true...i wish there was something in between the two. 

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

Originally Posted by rafsjays

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

I'm super tempted to cop these right now... Any of yall own this exact color?
nerd.gif

I've wanted to get the grey DB's for a while now, I just can't find the one with the black midsole.
greysuede1-300x200.jpg

If you find these, please post info.
these it?  maybe those aren't black midsoles, not sure...

http://bananarepublic.gap...;ap=2&siteID=2178999
I'm looking for the grey ones with black midsoles in particular.
What size do you wear? I found some pairs with the black sole on ebay if you're interested. Im thinking of pulling the trigger on them myself.

That suit-fit post was pretty interesting--didn't know about the jacket/knuckle mach up. However, I think an inch of break is a bit much. I don't care for any break/bunched up fabric at the bottom.

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

I wouldn't say button down are necessarily casual, I mean it is casual but it can be dressy for work. It isn't formal though.
Sport shirts usually had bolder patterns and colors while dress shirts tend to be more toned down or of solid color (not that one can't be the other).
Also, most of the time, sport shirts are sized "S, M, L, etc..." while dress shirts are sized by neck size, "14, 14.5, 15, 15.5, etc..."

As for pants, chinos/khakis are more casual than say slacks/dress pants. You can usually tell the difference between chinos and slacks just by looking at it.
Chinos/khakis, I would say, is less refined. It doesn't exactly have that clean look like slacks does with the crease or pleats.
Chinos tend to be cotton while slacks/dress pants tend to be wool but it goes both ways now-a-days or integrate other material types.
Most casual pants are made of fabric that is easier to maintain/wash, something that you can throw in the washer unlike dress pants that has to be dry cleaned for the most part.
It's hard to explain in words but I tried, Niidawg is usually better with words than me so I'll let him summarize my wall of text.
laugh.gif

Thanks alot for that explanation, i think i pretty much get it now.

My clothing budget might need a little push for these items. I really, really...................really like the glasses & these 3 loafers (all but the red)
tods2.jpg

Probably can't see myself spending the kind of dough I think they would want for the glasses, but we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom