Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Like that dude a lot.

"John Wall has the softest hands ever." - Tron
laugh.gif
u caught that too?? 
roll.gif
roll.gif

1695995856ba1276_FIF.jpg

No joke...I think McGee is primed for a big season.  From everything I've heard, he's been taking his job a little more seriously.  He know's he's going to be the starter and get big minutes....this McGee/Wall combo could be like Chandler/Paul from a few years back.  Fun to watch....no reason why McGee can't get 6-8 points off of lobs or uncontested dunks.  2nd most athletic big in the NBA behind D12. 
i've been thinking the same thing.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Like that dude a lot.

laugh.gif
u caught that too?? 
roll.gif
roll.gif

1695995856ba1276_FIF.jpg

No joke...I think McGee is primed for a big season.  From everything I've heard, he's been taking his job a little more seriously.  He know's he's going to be the starter and get big minutes....this McGee/Wall combo could be like Chandler/Paul from a few years back.  Fun to watch....no reason why McGee can't get 6-8 points off of lobs or uncontested dunks.  2nd most athletic big in the NBA behind D12. 
i've been thinking the same thing.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Malta...im pretty sure within the next 2 years they will switch to a R/W/B colorway...
Ah yes, I remember hearing them going back to the Bullets days but without the actual name.  Switch to a more patriotic name and I'm suddenly a closet Washington fan.  It's childish but the "Wizards" name just doesn't sit right with me, at least in the Nation's capital.
Don't even get me started on how stupid "Wizards" is...when u get time, read this:

the article sums up how the selection process which ultimately came down to "Wizards" was a sham....NO ONE LIKED THE NAME!!!  (Except for Abe)

The Wizards

The ensuing contest was indeed run through Boston Market, and the restaurant reportedly received 500,000 name suggestions involving around 3,000 separate names. Some of them were classic.

They "ranged from what you'd expect, like the Washington Generals or Washington Stars or Washington Monuments, to some strange ones," team spokesman Matt Williams said at the time. "Antelopes, Astronauts, Geckos--that's a lizard, I believe--and the Funkadelics. You wouldn't believe it."

Other choices included Accelerators, Zulus, Wolverines, Litigators, River Dawgs, Power Cats, Glory, Fury, Cobras and Monuments.

The finalists--chosen by a panel that included Pollin, Susan O'Malley, George Michael, Juwan Howard and others--were Sea Dogs, Express, Stallions, Dragons and Wizards. Fans had three weeks to vote among the five finalists via a 1-900 line; the $1 cost was given to anti-violence efforts. And the choices were roundly skewered.

Norman Chad:
Hey, who slipped something in Susan O'Malley's mineral water? his is the lamest group of choices since Chevy introduced its luxury Geo line....

Let me tell you something, my good friends: You don't go through 500,000 submissions and come up with "Washington Sea Dogs" unless the other 499,999 suggestions were all "Washington Gerrymanderers." Who was on this panel, the folks who signed off on New Coke?

I would take the Washington Wildebeests, the Washington Wallaroos, the Washington Whippoorwills, the Washington Whirligigs, the Washington Whammos or the Washington Whoosh before I'd take the Washington Wizards. And those are just names I made up while showering 15 minutes ago!

Post editorial:
Except for Sea Dogs, which is simply inexplicable, they look like the output of the same computer programs that create names for new car models and laundry detergents.

One other thing they have in common: None of these names has a thing to do with the city, its climate, flora, fauna, landmarks, geographical features, history or primary activity, which is the government.

Tony Kornheiser:
They're kidding, right? They've got to be kidding.

These proposed nicknames all stink. And when I say "stink," I mean like a dead skunk in the middle of the road. Or should I say a Sea Skunk?

How could people come up with such bad names? And I say that as someone named Anthony Irwin Kornheiser, one of the silliest names imaginable. If I was given the chance to choose a totally new name for myself, do you think it would be LaPhonso Steinberg?

And so on. O'Malley said that copyright restrictions had kept the franchise from considering many more traditional sounding D.C. nicknames. Fans and writers unleash a torrent of other possibilities. The Post ran a poll with the team's five choices, "None of the Above" and "Bullets;" the latter two combined for 85 percent of the votes. (Sea Dogs led of the other choices with about 5 percent.) Chris Webber suggested River Dogs; "The Potomac River is right here," he explained, making the choice more logical than Sea Dogs.

When Wizards was chosen, the president of the D.C. chapter of the NAACP said it invoked images of the KKK and should not be used. A New Jersey-based barnstorming basketball team known as the Harlem Wizards filed a trademark infringement suit. Many fans said the deck had been stacked for Wizards, and Pollin said it had been one of his early favorites.
It's someone who can do things," Pollin said. "It's magic, flamboyant, smart and a winner. All those things connote a winner. Once we get the new logo and uniform and colors it'll be fantastic. The NBA has very creative people."

And he talked again about why he was making a change.
"Bullets has been a very important part of my life," he said. "In fact, it has been more important than most people know. The Bullets came at a time in my life when I'd just lost a daughter. I was really not in life. The opportunity to buy the Baltimore Bullets brought me back into life. I won a world championship with it. I have a ring that says Bullets' and Pollin' on it. I'm prepared to give that up. If I can maybe make a difference and save some lives, that's more important than the history that will be lost. I finally decided if there was the possibility of making a difference with this anti-violence campaign, it's more important than the nickname of a team."

The skeptics remained. Like Kornheiser:
I appreciate how sincere Pollin is in his desire to stop violence. But not all of us connect the nickname "Bullets" with some drive-by sniper. Some of us hear the name "Bullets" and think of Wes Unseld and Elvin Hayes. I hope that doesn't make us insensitive louts.

Regardless, after the 1996-'97 season, the franchise officially became the Washington Wizards.

The Throwbacks

To me, one of the most puzzling features of the name change and its purported anti-violence origins was Pollin's willingness to have his team wear (and sell) Bullets jerseys less than a decade later. This was part of the NBA's throwback program; fans could (and did) buy Bullets jerseys, and the players wore the familiar threads.

Three times in the 2002-03 season the team trotted out red white and blue throwbacks. Nine times in 2004-05, and six times in 2005-06, they wore the throwback orange unis. During one game in Miami, the PA announcer referred to the team as "the Bullets" throughout. And the Michael Jordan red-white-and-blue top became a huge seller.

Rest of Article

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Malta...im pretty sure within the next 2 years they will switch to a R/W/B colorway...
Ah yes, I remember hearing them going back to the Bullets days but without the actual name.  Switch to a more patriotic name and I'm suddenly a closet Washington fan.  It's childish but the "Wizards" name just doesn't sit right with me, at least in the Nation's capital.
Don't even get me started on how stupid "Wizards" is...when u get time, read this:

the article sums up how the selection process which ultimately came down to "Wizards" was a sham....NO ONE LIKED THE NAME!!!  (Except for Abe)

The Wizards

The ensuing contest was indeed run through Boston Market, and the restaurant reportedly received 500,000 name suggestions involving around 3,000 separate names. Some of them were classic.

They "ranged from what you'd expect, like the Washington Generals or Washington Stars or Washington Monuments, to some strange ones," team spokesman Matt Williams said at the time. "Antelopes, Astronauts, Geckos--that's a lizard, I believe--and the Funkadelics. You wouldn't believe it."

Other choices included Accelerators, Zulus, Wolverines, Litigators, River Dawgs, Power Cats, Glory, Fury, Cobras and Monuments.

The finalists--chosen by a panel that included Pollin, Susan O'Malley, George Michael, Juwan Howard and others--were Sea Dogs, Express, Stallions, Dragons and Wizards. Fans had three weeks to vote among the five finalists via a 1-900 line; the $1 cost was given to anti-violence efforts. And the choices were roundly skewered.

Norman Chad:
Hey, who slipped something in Susan O'Malley's mineral water? his is the lamest group of choices since Chevy introduced its luxury Geo line....

Let me tell you something, my good friends: You don't go through 500,000 submissions and come up with "Washington Sea Dogs" unless the other 499,999 suggestions were all "Washington Gerrymanderers." Who was on this panel, the folks who signed off on New Coke?

I would take the Washington Wildebeests, the Washington Wallaroos, the Washington Whippoorwills, the Washington Whirligigs, the Washington Whammos or the Washington Whoosh before I'd take the Washington Wizards. And those are just names I made up while showering 15 minutes ago!

Post editorial:
Except for Sea Dogs, which is simply inexplicable, they look like the output of the same computer programs that create names for new car models and laundry detergents.

One other thing they have in common: None of these names has a thing to do with the city, its climate, flora, fauna, landmarks, geographical features, history or primary activity, which is the government.

Tony Kornheiser:
They're kidding, right? They've got to be kidding.

These proposed nicknames all stink. And when I say "stink," I mean like a dead skunk in the middle of the road. Or should I say a Sea Skunk?

How could people come up with such bad names? And I say that as someone named Anthony Irwin Kornheiser, one of the silliest names imaginable. If I was given the chance to choose a totally new name for myself, do you think it would be LaPhonso Steinberg?

And so on. O'Malley said that copyright restrictions had kept the franchise from considering many more traditional sounding D.C. nicknames. Fans and writers unleash a torrent of other possibilities. The Post ran a poll with the team's five choices, "None of the Above" and "Bullets;" the latter two combined for 85 percent of the votes. (Sea Dogs led of the other choices with about 5 percent.) Chris Webber suggested River Dogs; "The Potomac River is right here," he explained, making the choice more logical than Sea Dogs.

When Wizards was chosen, the president of the D.C. chapter of the NAACP said it invoked images of the KKK and should not be used. A New Jersey-based barnstorming basketball team known as the Harlem Wizards filed a trademark infringement suit. Many fans said the deck had been stacked for Wizards, and Pollin said it had been one of his early favorites.
It's someone who can do things," Pollin said. "It's magic, flamboyant, smart and a winner. All those things connote a winner. Once we get the new logo and uniform and colors it'll be fantastic. The NBA has very creative people."

And he talked again about why he was making a change.
"Bullets has been a very important part of my life," he said. "In fact, it has been more important than most people know. The Bullets came at a time in my life when I'd just lost a daughter. I was really not in life. The opportunity to buy the Baltimore Bullets brought me back into life. I won a world championship with it. I have a ring that says Bullets' and Pollin' on it. I'm prepared to give that up. If I can maybe make a difference and save some lives, that's more important than the history that will be lost. I finally decided if there was the possibility of making a difference with this anti-violence campaign, it's more important than the nickname of a team."

The skeptics remained. Like Kornheiser:
I appreciate how sincere Pollin is in his desire to stop violence. But not all of us connect the nickname "Bullets" with some drive-by sniper. Some of us hear the name "Bullets" and think of Wes Unseld and Elvin Hayes. I hope that doesn't make us insensitive louts.

Regardless, after the 1996-'97 season, the franchise officially became the Washington Wizards.

The Throwbacks

To me, one of the most puzzling features of the name change and its purported anti-violence origins was Pollin's willingness to have his team wear (and sell) Bullets jerseys less than a decade later. This was part of the NBA's throwback program; fans could (and did) buy Bullets jerseys, and the players wore the familiar threads.

Three times in the 2002-03 season the team trotted out red white and blue throwbacks. Nine times in 2004-05, and six times in 2005-06, they wore the throwback orange unis. During one game in Miami, the PA announcer referred to the team as "the Bullets" throughout. And the Michael Jordan red-white-and-blue top became a huge seller.

Rest of Article

Was watching the replay of this game late last night trying to fall asleep.

Literally jumped off the couch when I saw it.

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Was watching the replay of this game late last night trying to fall asleep.

Literally jumped off the couch when I saw it.

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Any highlights of him doing the behind the back move or taking it the distance on the fast break?
laugh.gif
Kid is something else.

Any highlights of him doing the behind the back move or taking it the distance on the fast break?
laugh.gif
Kid is something else.

Like that dude a lot.

laugh.gif
u caught that too?? 
roll.gif
roll.gif

1695995856ba1276_FIF.jpg

If he really is, he could be a very good player down the road. Super athletic and you can see the talent already...just needs more focus and maturity (which is understandable given that he's young).

Like that dude a lot.

laugh.gif
u caught that too?? 
roll.gif
roll.gif

1695995856ba1276_FIF.jpg

If he really is, he could be a very good player down the road. Super athletic and you can see the talent already...just needs more focus and maturity (which is understandable given that he's young).

Back
Top Bottom