ELECTION DAY 2008:........... Barack Obama, the next President of the United States of America

I couldn't agree more DaGreatJ.
You guys can throw around crime statistics all you want, and keep acting like that makes a mayor, but none of you want to talk about how much the New York Citypublic school system suffered under Rudy. And as for the crime rates, do we really need to talk about how much the national economy changed while Rudy was themayor? Stop acting like it's so cut and dry.

You think if Hillary won the D ticket, she'd ask Obama to be her VP? and would/should he accept? And the same for Obama if it were the other way around.Just curious of what you guys think.

I don't see how Giuliani is still leading the GOP if he doesn't have the backing of the religious right. Next to Huckabee, he's probably the mostinsane candidate.

Originally Posted by wuSHUMast3r

I don't see how Giuliani is still leading the GOP if he doesn't have the backing of the religious right. Next to Huckabee, he's probably the most insane candidate.
Actually he does have the backing of the religious right. He got the endorsement from one of the biggest religious right people in, Pat Robertson.
WASHINGTON - Evangelical Christian leader Pat Robertson on Wednesday endorsed former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who has struggled to bridge with conservatives some of his socially moderate policy positions on abortion and gay rights.

The endorsement is a coup for the Giuliani campaign, especially after opponent Mitt Romney recently racked up two major endorsements from social conservatives.

Robertson on Wednesday said Giuliani is the best candidate to handle the War on Terror. He said Giuliani understands the need for a conservative judiciary, and that he is a "true fiscal conservative" who is tough on crime.

48135.23Giuliani-2008-Robertson.sff.jpg

07rudy.600.jpg

07rudy2.600.jpg

Two of the scariest men in show-business.

[h1]POLL: Obama Finds Help in IowaWith a Focus on New Ideas[/h1][h2]Contest Close in Iowa, ObamaMounting Strong Race Against Clinton[/h2]
A growing focus on fresh ideas coupled with lingering doubts about HillaryClinton's honesty and forthrightness are keeping the Democratic presidential contest close in Iowa, with Barack Obama in particular mounting a strong raceagainst the national front-runner.

While Clinton still leads on more personal attributes than any of her competitors,just half of Iowa Democrats in the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll believe she's willing to say what she really thinks -- far fewer than say so ofeither Obama or John Edwards. Obama beats her by 2-1 as the most honest and trustworthy candidate. Her advantage on experience, whilesubstantial, has softened since summer. She has notably less support in Iowa than nationally in trust to handle a variety of specific issues -- on Iraq, forexample, Obama now runs evenly with her. And she's third in Iowa among men.

Overall, in current preferences, 30 percent in Iowa support Obama, 26 percentClinton and 22 percent Edwards, with 11 percent for Bill Richardson.

Obama: I Tried Drugs As a Teen

(AP) - Presidential hopeful Barack Obama on Tuesday told high schoolstudents that when he was their age he was hardly a model student, experimenting with illegal drugs and drinkingalcohol.

Obama stopped by a study hallat Manchester Central High School and answered students' questions about the war in Iraq and his education plan. But when an adultasked about his time as a student, Obama spoke bluntly.

"I will confess to you that I was kind of a goof-off in high school as my momreminded me," said Obama, an Illinois Democrat who grew up in Hawaii

"You know, I made some bad decisions that I've actually written about. Youknow, got into drinking. I experimented with drugs," he said. "There was a whole stretch of time that I didn't really apply myself a lot. Itwasn't until I got out of high school and went to college that I started realizing, 'Man, I wasted a lot of time.'"

Obama has written about his drug use in his memoir, "Dreams from MyFather."

"Junkie. Pothead. That's whereI'd been headed: the final fatal role of the young would be blackman," Obama wrote. Mostly he smoked marijuana and drank alcohol, Obama wrote, but occasionally he would snortcocaine when he could afford it.

[h3]Sweet scoop: Oprah to stump for Obama.[/h3]
MANCHESTER, N.H.-Oprah Winfrey is poised to campaign for White House hopeful Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) in Iowa and New Hampshire, the Chicago Sun-Times has learned.

Obama made the disclosure while working a crowd at Central High School here, after delivering an education policy speech. A man, Ralph Hoagland, asked Obama-who was mingling and shaking hands-- if Oprah was going to stump for Obama in New Hampshire.

"First she's coming to Iowa," Obama told Hoagland, who in 1963 was a co-founder of what is now the giant CVS pharmacy chain. "But we'll talk about it. We'll get her up here."

A woman piped up. "We need her here."

"Is she thinking of not coming up to New Hampshire?" Hoagland asked?

Obama replied, "No, no no. We're just doing it one state at a time."

Barack Obama has pulled ahead in the race for Iowa's Democratic presidential caucuses, while the party's national frontrunner Hillary Clinton hasslipped to second in the leadoff nominating state, according to The Des Moines Register's new Iowa Poll.
Despite the movement, the race for 2008's opening nominating contest remains very competitive about a month before the Jan. 3 caucuses, just overhalf of likely caucusgoers who favor a candidate saying they could change their minds.

Obama, an Illinois senator, leads for the first time in the Register's poll as the choice of 28 percent of likely caucusgoers, up from 22 percent inOctober. Clinton, a New York senator, was the preferred candidate of 25 percent, down from 29 percent in the previous poll.

Interesting article......

http://thehill.com/****-morris/hillary-rudy-may-know-life-after-death-2007-12-05.html

[table][tr][td]Hillary, Rudy may know life after death[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]By **** Morris[/td] [/tr][tr][td]December 05, 2007[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
It now seems possible, and some would say probable, that both front-runners for their party nominations will be wiped out in the early caucuses and primaries. It may well be that neither Hillary Clinton nor Rudy Giuliani win anything before the Florida primary on Jan. 29.

Hillary is now behind in Iowa and her lead in New Hampshire has dwindled from an average of 19 percent in five polls in October to a 13 percent average in five polls in the first half of November to only 9 percent in four polls at the end of the month. In the last two polls, she holds only a 7-point lead (source: www.realclearpolitics.com). If Hillary loses Iowa, it is easy to see her sinking in New Hampshire five days later.

Giuliani may fare no better. Clearly he is on his way to a humiliating defeat in Iowa where he inexplicably chose not to spend time or resources. He looks to finish third but a late surge by John McCain could knock him into fourth. Mike Huckabee will probably win Iowa, followed by a faltering Mitt Romney. Rudy trails Romney in New Hampshire and a defeat in Iowa will do nothing to bolster his chances there. If Romney wins in New Hampshire, his momentum combined with his father's tenure as governor will likely power him to a win in Michigan. And there is no way that the most conservative primary in the most conservative state (the South Carolina Republican contest) will prove beneficial for the most liberal Republican candidate. Rudy could lose Iowa, New Hampshire, Michigan and South Carolina.

Does that mean that Hillary and Rudy will be dead?

No. They will probably still win their parties' nominations.

The only question people have been asking in the Democratic primary is, "Can we trust Hillary to tell us the truth?"

Obviously one can't.

There is only one way for Hillary to shift the focus onto Obama or John Edwards: lose. By losing in Iowa and New Hampshire, she makes the key question not her veracity but Obama's or Edwards's ability to win. Democrats are going to be reluctant to nominate someone they know so little about as Obama and will wonder if the nation is ready for an African-American candidate (it is) or for a man who has been senator for 104 weeks before running for president (it's not). They will also wonder about nominating Edwards, who lost twice in 2004. When the question becomes viability, not credibility, Hillary is in a league of her own with her ability to bring new female voters to the polls.

The question that has dominated the GOP contest is, "Should we nominate someone as liberal as Rudy on social issues?" The answer among the stalwarts is obviously no. As long as the social conservatives are divided among four candidates, Rudy has a shot. But when they rally behind one man (probably Huckabee) conservatives outnumber moderates in Republican primaries, particularly if the independents are drawn into the Democratic primary by Hillary's new vulnerability.

But by losing, Rudy shifts the focus. Republicans will ask, "Is America ready to elect a Mormon?" (unfortunately not) and, "Are we ready to go with Romney or Huckabee who have no experience in foreign or military affairs?" Once again, Rudy will profit from the shift in focus his defeat in the early contests will trigger.

Of course, the real question that will determine Giuliani's fate is how seriously we take the threat of terrorism. There is no reason to nominate Giuliani except for his demonstrated ability to fight terrorism. This threat is the only way a Republican can win and Rudy has a huge edge in making terrorism his issue. But the subject has been virtually absent from the Republican debates of late and the national discourse. Rudy needs to get that fixed if he is to have a chance to recover from early defeats.

But recover they both likely will. Remember how Gary Hart beat Mondale in New Hampshire in 1984 and Mondale came back to win? And how Paul Tsongas beat Clinton there in 1992 and Clinton eventually won? And how McCain defeated Bush in New Hampshire in 2000 but how Bush came back to win? Different year. New candidates. Same deal.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

no way hilary chooses obama as her running mate. for vp you usually choose somebody that will help you get the votes you normally wouldnt get. it will mostlikely be a white male from the south, or some swing state.

obama leads in iowa, believe it or not, no matter what the media or internet says, the race isnt a lock for hilary.

Ron Paul would be a pretty good candidate.
Hillary gives me shivers.
and its true the race for DEM nomination isnt a lock. Hillary would be an easier candidate for the Republicans to beat, and most Democrats know that.

Originally Posted by Dunkaroos

If you're a Democrat, Clinton's your only hope.
how so?
i'm backing obama
and i'm really not a dem or repub.
ron paul is honestly the best candidate but we all know that vote is worthless

Originally Posted by domc03

Originally Posted by Dunkaroos

If you're a Democrat, Clinton's your only hope.
how so?
i'm backing obama
and i'm really not a dem or repub.
ron paul is honestly the best candidate but we all know that vote is worthless
best candidate?? yeah right.....

best candidate?? yeah right.....
Who's better?

I guess everyone has their own opinion, because we really place a different amount of importance on issues. Me, I'm all about international affairs.

I'd back Obama, but he's trying to start another war in Pakistan and that idea is fail.

Ron Paul '08

Bill Clinton played down expectations for Sen. Hillary Clinton's performance in the Iowa caucuses, saying it is a "miracle" that sheis even competitive in the state as he brushed off rival Barack Obama as too green to run for the White House.

The former president, who has been campaigning tirelessly for the Democratic frontrunner as slipping polls and a series of gaffes have threatened hercampaign, made the comments in an interview with host Charlie Rose on PBS Friday. Clinton also suggested the Illinois senator was running strong because hishome state and Iowa share a border, and said voters would be taking a "risk" if theyelected Obama.

Obama rejected Clinton's comments at a press conference Saturday.

"When I was 20 points down, they all thought I was a wonderful guy. Obviously things have changed here in Iowa and elsewhere,"Obama said. "If they're suggesting that I, as this 'callow youth,' somehow had a structural advantage in Iowa relative to the Clintonoperation and the former president of the United States, that doesn't strike me as a real plausibleargument."

According to a transcript of the interview posted by Real Clear Politics, Clinton said former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards might even win Iowa, afterexplaining that the state poses a challenge for his wife.

MORE NEW ARTICLES

DES MOINES REGISTER EndorsesClinton, McCain...

BOSTON GLOBE: Obama,McCain...

Lieberman to EndorseMcCain...

Bill Clinton playing more prominent role in his wife's campaign as things tighten...

...Says Obama Isn't Ready For WhiteHouse...

Elizabeth Edwards: 'Republicans should scare us in a lot of ways'...

Ron Paul raisesmillions in 'Boston Tea Party' event...

Giuliani: Nation Needs Bold Leadership...

Pulls back ads in NH to focus onFL...

NYTSUNDAY LEAD: OBAMA IN COMMAND; NEW CONFIDENCE...

Hillary Clinton vows not toquit...

hill.jpg

THE TOLL OF ACAMPAIGN...

LIMBAUGH: Does Our Looks-ObsessedCulture Want to Stare at an Aging Woman?

PAPER: Are we ready to see Hillaryage?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071218/NATION/42189178/1001

Forty percent of Americans say they would vote to keep Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton from winning the presidency, more than twice the total for theirNo. 2 "anti-" pick, former New York Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani.

In a new Fox 5-The Washington Times-Rasmussen Reports survey, 64 percent of Republicans, 42 percent of third-party or independent voters, and 17percent of Democrats said the candidate they most want to keep from the White House is Mrs. Clinton.

Back
Top Bottom