Employers Refusing To Take Employees Off Payroll

a friend of me recently found out that one of her previous employers hasn't taken her off the payroll after she's been gone at least 8 months. she never officially resigned, nor was she ever fired. she called and requested a letter stating that she's no longer an employee and was refused. it's been told to her that this company refuses to actually fire people as a way to avoid having to pay unemployment benefits. has anyone ever been in this type or situation or knows someone who has?

a friend of me recently found out that one of her previous employers hasn't taken her off the payroll after she's been gone at least 8 months. she never officially resigned, nor was she ever fired. she called and requested a letter stating that she's no longer an employee and was refused. it's been told to her that this company refuses to actually fire people as a way to avoid having to pay unemployment benefits. has anyone ever been in this type or situation or knows someone who has?

Same boat, but I never tried to collect unemployment. They haven't said nothing to me. I gotta drop off my uniforms. I been had another job.

so she quit? why does she need the writ of unemployment anyway? why does she need them to take her off the books? she quit, so she isnt eligible for unemployment anyway.

Is she still getting a paycheck
no, she hasnt been paid since she worked her last shift. she also walked off the job without giving any prior notice.

So she just casually disregarded her job responsibilities? Also never officially quit, and was never fired?

Sounds like she played herself, if you ask me.

I wouldn't remove her of the payroll either, if I was the company in question.

so she quit? why does she need the writ of unemployment anyway? why does she need them to take her off the books? she quit, so she isnt eligible for unemployment anyway.
she quit. she needs it to complete an application for food stamps. she needs them to take her name off so she can prove that she no longer works for that employer; they insist that she still works there since she's still on the books even though she hasn't worked there for months on end. yes, she quit. she is not seeking any type of unemployment benefits anyway. 

Technically she's still an employee. She hasn't received a paycheck because she hasn't worked any shifts. You never just walk off the job. Even if you intend on storming out and causing a scene, you let your boss know that you are no longer an employee.

So she's trying to game the system?

Gotcha.

I surmise that your friend, based of what you've revealed thus far, is that one person that makes it difficult for those who are legitimately disenfranchised from an economic-jobs standpoint.

:smh:

Last edited:
Technically she's still an employee. She hasn't received a paycheck because she hasn't worked any shifts. You never just walk off the job. Even if you intend on storming out and causing a scene, you let your boss know that you are no longer an employee.

So she just casually disregarded her job responsibilities? Also never officially quit, and was never fired?

Sounds like she played herself, if you ask me.

I wouldn't remove her of the payroll either, if I was the company in question.

understood. now for an official resignation, would a letter dated the actual day of her last shift suffice? how about a letter with the current date? 

so she quit a job that paid her money....to get food stamps. but she has another job...but the gov't assistance program doesnt care about that job? the struggle is strong in this one. she's hustlin backwards.

So she's trying to game the system?

Gotcha.

I surmise that your friend, based of what you've revealed thus far, is that one person that makes it difficult for those who are legitimately disenfranchised from an economic-jobs standpoint.

mean.gif

yes bro, ur exactly right my friend. how u drew that conclusion is beyond me. 
grin.gif

Doesnt make sense, if the company fires her, they dont have to pay unrmployment.
Backwards.

If the company fires her they will most likely be required to pay the enemployment unless she has had prior documented discrepancies.

Hence leaving her on the payroll (they probably didn't document her probelms with signed warnings)

I'd leave her on the payroll too.  Trying to play the system
mean.gif
  she outdid herself on this one

It might be a scam if the company is doing contract work. Government pays the contractor a fee assuming a certain number of employees, if less employees and the work still gets done...general contractor pockets the profit.

[QUOTE url="/t/521625/employers-refusing-to-take-employees-off-payroll#post_17008670"]
Doesnt make sense, if the company fires her, they dont have to pay unrmployment.
Backwards.

If the company fires her they will most likely be required to pay the enemployment unless she has had prior documented discrepancies.

Hence leaving her on the payroll (they probably didn't document her probelms with signed warnings)

I'd leave her on the payroll too.  Trying to play the system :smh:   she outdid herself on this one
[/quote]

that's not true. If a company fires you, for say...walking off the job...they aren't liable to pay unemployment as you voided the contract of employment. If they let you go however, for say, lack of work to be completed or less hours to go around, then they are on the hook.

but being fired and being let go...two completely different things in the corporate world.

It might be a scam if the company is doing contract work. Government pays the contractor a fee assuming a certain number of employees, if less employees and the work still gets done...general contractor pockets the profit.
dont think its a contract job, its a local restaurant.

(not directed at sumrndumdude)

so how can she go about officially quitting this job? aside from anything else, what would be the proper procedure for getting her removed from the payroll?

Back
Top Bottom