Employment Question - what would you do?

Hey NT, I'm a recent Marketing graduate looking for work. I've been applying both locally (West coast, Canada) as well as overseas in Shanghai. Mind you I am bilingual. There are very few Marketing jobs in my city, and the only positions that seem to be available for junior grads are small gigs with small local firms.
I've been offered a PR Manager job recently by a relatively large Architectual firm in Shanghai, the only catch is they are willing to only pay me peanuts compared to what I can get here. I feel like if I tough it out with the petty pay, eventually I am either able to get a raise, bonus, or some other opportunity in such a huge market such as Shanghai.

Would you take the risk of a low wage in Shanghai or settle for a higher salary but seemingly less opportunity in my current city. 
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif

Hey NT, I'm a recent Marketing graduate looking for work. I've been applying both locally (West coast, Canada) as well as overseas in Shanghai. Mind you I am bilingual. There are very few Marketing jobs in my city, and the only positions that seem to be available for junior grads are small gigs with small local firms.
I've been offered a PR Manager job recently by a relatively large Architectual firm in Shanghai, the only catch is they are willing to only pay me peanuts compared to what I can get here. I feel like if I tough it out with the petty pay, eventually I am either able to get a raise, bonus, or some other opportunity in such a huge market such as Shanghai.

Would you take the risk of a low wage in Shanghai or settle for a higher salary but seemingly less opportunity in my current city. 
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif

Take the opportunity now. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth unless there are definitely opportunities in Shanghai. If you build your resume and show you can put together good campaigns for companies here then you can use that to your advantage with companies overseas.

Take the opportunity now. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth unless there are definitely opportunities in Shanghai. If you build your resume and show you can put together good campaigns for companies here then you can use that to your advantage with companies overseas.

bro....

TAKE THAT GIG, FAMBS.

think about it. you get to live in a completely different country.

learning about different cultures will broaden your horizons, and ultimately help you in developing marketing plans and strategies for whatever assignment youre company gives you.

you say they will pay you peanuts...

but you'll be gaining experience.

you could only work there for a couple years, come out w/ international experience and the ability to show that you can adjust to any situation.

how many PEANUTS are we talkin, though?

bro....

TAKE THAT GIG, FAMBS.

learning about different cultures will broaden your horizons, and ultimately help you in developing marketing plans and strategies for whatever assignment youre company gives you.

you could only work there for a couple years, come out w/ international experience and the ability to show that you can adjust to any situation.

Take that opportunity. It'll be a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Get in good with your future boss and show a lot of effort and hard work on your part. Next thing you know, you'll be making more than you'd thought.

Take that opportunity. It'll be a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Get in good with your future boss and show a lot of effort and hard work on your part. Next thing you know, you'll be making more than you'd thought.

Originally Posted by ricky409

bro....

TAKE THAT GIG, FAMBS.

I'm talking around 1000USD a month 
indifferent.gif
. This is double the wage of a local university graduate but Shanghai is an expensive city also... 

Originally Posted by ricky409

bro....

TAKE THAT GIG, FAMBS.

I'm talking around 1000USD a month 
indifferent.gif
. This is double the wage of a local university graduate but Shanghai is an expensive city also... 

Hey what's good fam! Hope everything worked out with your last incident man.

Anyways, from the choices you listed, I can definitely see why it's a tough decision to make, given the amount of pros and cons attached to each choice... But personally, I'd definitely head overseas and take the job offer, especially since you said it's a relatively large firm in Shanghai. Like what crc said, it looks good on the resume and it's never bad to expand your connections... And who knows, it may lead to potential future jobs.

Travelling overseas is an excellent opportunity to go out there and meet new people, see new things, and experience new stuff... And if you really don't like the conditions, you can always choose to come back.

Also try to ask around, see if anyone you know has ever been in the same situation as you, and ask for their opinion. Good luck dude

Anyways, from the choices you listed, I can definitely see why it's a tough decision to make, given the amount of pros and cons attached to each choice... But personally, I'd definitely head overseas and take the job offer, especially since you said it's a relatively large firm in Shanghai. Like what crc said, it looks good on the resume and it's never bad to expand your connections... And who knows, it may lead to potential future jobs.

Travelling overseas is an excellent opportunity to go out there and meet new people, see new things, and experience new stuff... And if you really don't like the conditions, you can always choose to come back.

Also try to ask around, see if anyone you know has ever been in the same situation as you, and ask for their opinion. Good luck dude

Originally Posted by jawnyquest

1k a month isn't THAT bad. like dude said, you'll be gaining much more in experience.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

the job about PR not flipping burgers

1k a month is garbage

Originally Posted by jawnyquest

1k a month isn't THAT bad. like dude said, you'll be gaining much more in experience.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

the job about PR not flipping burgers

1k a month is garbage

sick.gif
sick.gif

1000USD/month? that's below minimum wage bro.

i'd say to tough it out. it's only been a month or two since you graduated (assuming by "recent" you mean Summer '11). wait for a better opportunity.

sick.gif
sick.gif

1000USD/month? that's below minimum wage bro.

i'd say to tough it out. it's only been a month or two since you graduated (assuming by "recent" you mean Summer '11). wait for a better opportunity.

well damb....

1K?

naw, fambs...

keep it moving... part time McDonalds employees make that.

well damb....

1K?

naw, fambs...

keep it moving... part time McDonalds employees make that.

^ That is true, however, 1K USD can stretch a long ways in China. Shanghai is an expensive city, but if you are smart with your money you can get by. By no means is it going to be a lavish experience, which is why I'm pondering if the tradeoff of moving there and gaining that experience and getting those opportunities is worth the sacrifice.

Btw, the firm is an Australian firm...I'm sure the execs there are making bank, I was actually surprised they are only offering me such a low wage...

^ That is true, however, 1K USD can stretch a long ways in China. Shanghai is an expensive city, but if you are smart with your money you can get by. By no means is it going to be a lavish experience, which is why I'm pondering if the tradeoff of moving there and gaining that experience and getting those opportunities is worth the sacrifice.

Btw, the firm is an Australian firm...I'm sure the execs there are making bank, I was actually surprised they are only offering me such a low wage...

Originally Posted by FOG

I actually said the exact opposite.  Sure you'll have "experience" overseas.  You can get that easily from a city like Seattle or Vancouver with the multicultural influences from both cities.  If he has a job lined up that pays decently all he needs to do is build some good campaigns and then he can advertise those to companies overseas if he still wants international experience after that.

Originally Posted by FOG

I actually said the exact opposite.  Sure you'll have "experience" overseas.  You can get that easily from a city like Seattle or Vancouver with the multicultural influences from both cities.  If he has a job lined up that pays decently all he needs to do is build some good campaigns and then he can advertise those to companies overseas if he still wants international experience after that.

id do it in a heartbeat...ive been applying overseas too (trying to go to HK) but it's nearly impossible even getting a reply back
eyes.gif

do you have connections in shanghai? or you just randomly applied on the company's website?

Back
Top Bottom