Employment Question - what would you do?

id do it in a heartbeat...ive been applying overseas too (trying to go to HK) but it's nearly impossible even getting a reply back
eyes.gif

do you have connections in shanghai? or you just randomly applied on the company's website?

^ I've been persistent. Bugging the hell outta the HR people and whatnot.

I just hope I can move up quickly.

^ I've been persistent. Bugging the hell outta the HR people and whatnot.

I just hope I can move up quickly.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

Originally Posted by FOG

Hey what's good fam! Hope everything worked out with your last incident man.

Anyways, from the choices you listed, I can definitely see why it's a tough decision to make, given the amount of pros and cons attached to each choice... But personally, I'd definitely head overseas and take the job offer, especially since you said it's a relatively large firm in Shanghai. Like what crc said, it looks good on the resume and it's never bad to expand your connections... And who knows, it may lead to potential future jobs.

Travelling overseas is an excellent opportunity to go out there and meet new people, see new things, and experience new stuff... And if you really don't like the conditions, you can always choose to come back.

Also try to ask around, see if anyone you know has ever been in the same situation as you, and ask for their opinion. Good luck dude
I actually said the exact opposite.  Sure you'll have "experience" overseas.  You can get that easily from a city like Seattle or Vancouver with the multicultural influences from both cities.  If he has a job lined up that pays decently all he needs to do is build some good campaigns and then he can advertise those to companies overseas if he still wants international experience after that.
It's been hella hard to get a foot in the door in Vancouver. I'd love to be able to work at say EA here and do Marketing for them if I had the chance. Most of the "Marketing" jobs here are more Sales focused and are mostly for industrial organizations. My previous job (6-7 months) was a Lumber sales coordinator. I was basically a receptionist that had to punch orders into a computer all day and help pile wood in the warehouse when it got really busy. Made 40,000k before taxes but it was dumb stressful and I didnt see it going anywhere in the longterm. 

Originally Posted by FOG

Anyways, from the choices you listed, I can definitely see why it's a tough decision to make, given the amount of pros and cons attached to each choice... But personally, I'd definitely head overseas and take the job offer, especially since you said it's a relatively large firm in Shanghai. Like what crc said, it looks good on the resume and it's never bad to expand your connections... And who knows, it may lead to potential future jobs.

Travelling overseas is an excellent opportunity to go out there and meet new people, see new things, and experience new stuff... And if you really don't like the conditions, you can always choose to come back.

Also try to ask around, see if anyone you know has ever been in the same situation as you, and ask for their opinion. Good luck dude
I actually said the exact opposite.  Sure you'll have "experience" overseas.  You can get that easily from a city like Seattle or Vancouver with the multicultural influences from both cities.  If he has a job lined up that pays decently all he needs to do is build some good campaigns and then he can advertise those to companies overseas if he still wants international experience after that.
It's been hella hard to get a foot in the door in Vancouver. I'd love to be able to work at say EA here and do Marketing for them if I had the chance. Most of the "Marketing" jobs here are more Sales focused and are mostly for industrial organizations. My previous job (6-7 months) was a Lumber sales coordinator. I was basically a receptionist that had to punch orders into a computer all day and help pile wood in the warehouse when it got really busy. Made 40,000k before taxes but it was dumb stressful and I didnt see it going anywhere in the longterm. 

Originally Posted by sauuceking

Originally Posted by FOG

You'll probably find that most "marketing" jobs really are just sales jobs.  It's that really what marketing is?  Unless you're in graphic arts or something else like that where you're creating something for someone, you're just going to "market" the product.  I just got done looking for a marketing job and that's the same thing I found.  Really, at your age it's best to bite the bullet and work your butt off and use hard numbers or a solid portfolio to build your resume.  I know you're anxious to go to Shanghai, but if the numbers at a new job can't justify it, it may just be the wrong time to do it.

Originally Posted by sauuceking

Originally Posted by FOG

You'll probably find that most "marketing" jobs really are just sales jobs.  It's that really what marketing is?  Unless you're in graphic arts or something else like that where you're creating something for someone, you're just going to "market" the product.  I just got done looking for a marketing job and that's the same thing I found.  Really, at your age it's best to bite the bullet and work your butt off and use hard numbers or a solid portfolio to build your resume.  I know you're anxious to go to Shanghai, but if the numbers at a new job can't justify it, it may just be the wrong time to do it.

Just think about it well OP because that is a big decision for you to relocate. If you can find something similar here then I would just stay here, unless you want the adventure....

Just think about it well OP because that is a big decision for you to relocate. If you can find something similar here then I would just stay here, unless you want the adventure....

It depends man. Do you have & wife and family that you would be moving with over there?

Have you been out of the country and have lived in a place outside of the US?

Do you have any family over there ?

Trust me man think about all of this because you can easily find yourself lonely and wanting to come home quick if you do this by yourself.

It depends man. Do you have & wife and family that you would be moving with over there?

Have you been out of the country and have lived in a place outside of the US?

Do you have any family over there ?

Trust me man think about all of this because you can easily find yourself lonely and wanting to come home quick if you do this by yourself.

Some factors that also pull me over there other than me seeing more opportunities/wanting the adventure:

1. I have family making bank in China. While they aren't in Shanghai, they are pretty close by. To give you an idea, one of my cousin pushes a Phantom and a Bentley and literally a fleet of X5s....in China.

2. My girls living in Tokyo right now and we're doing LD. If I work in Shanghai, we are still doing LD, but its not as bad as a Trans-Pacific 9+hr flight type of relationship..

Some factors that also pull me over there other than me seeing more opportunities/wanting the adventure:

1. I have family making bank in China. While they aren't in Shanghai, they are pretty close by. To give you an idea, one of my cousin pushes a Phantom and a Bentley and literally a fleet of X5s....in China.

2. My girls living in Tokyo right now and we're doing LD. If I work in Shanghai, we are still doing LD, but its not as bad as a Trans-Pacific 9+hr flight type of relationship..

Back
Top Bottom