Female Black Architect Humiliated When Seattle Bank Refused To Believe Her Paycheck Was Real

As someone who works in the banking industry, this is standard practice. None of those are personal questions, they're all part of the due diligence process. The only mistake the bank made was on the teller's part for not placing the check on hold at the time of deposit to explain the situation.

Prolly tried to deposit a large sum. Prolly justifying it by the type of work she does.

I don't see discrimination here, just standard practice.
if what youre saying is true and its standard practice, then why did they release the check to her that same day when it was supposed to be 9 days "just to be safe"? 

its standard practice now to have to bank tell you to come back and verify who you are, WITHOUT asking for your id, which would be the simplest way?

standard procedure for a bank employee to google your job in front of you and question you about things you have nothing to do with, like location of business?

what standard practice they gonna have next, bend over and spread so that check ur ******* out too? 
mean.gif

As someone who works in the banking industry, this is standard practice. None of those are personal questions, they're all part of the due diligence process. The only mistake the bank made was on the teller's part for not placing the check on hold at the time of deposit to explain the situation.
but she didnt have to wait for her check after all so what part of standard practice is that?

if policy is that she had to wait 9 days?

this is the subtle, covert racism that people hate to talk about and people are scared to admit to

they want for us to just silently accept it

and people will tell themselves whatever they have to

even the customer service lady she talked to

"sorry youre having a bad day" = sorry we were racist and you called us out on it, but since we wont admit it lets just chalk it up to your sensitivity 
mean.gif

Last edited:
but she didnt have to wait for her check after all so what part of standard practice is that?

if policy is that she had to wait 9 days?
9 days is the maximum any institution can place funds on hold per federal regulations.

They released the funds as a courtesy to her by doing their due dilligence by even compromising with her in the first place. They could have placed the check on hold and let the back office handle everything else and they'd be completely within federal regulations.

You're barking up the wrong tree because the bank did everything right except place the check on hold at the time of deposit, but even then they did right by her to even contact her employer when they don't have to.

See that's the thing, for my sitiuaion it's not the the practice but the way they came at me.

I'm sorry but this form of prejudice is the most infuriating cause it's easy to write off as me overreacting or people saying extscly what you did. I know when someone is doing they job and someone is using their job to perpetuate their own bigoted views of the world.

I gotta side with sister girl cause I've dealt with this nonsense before. Hell I went to my bank to make a money order and was brought to a cubicle for a serous of dumb questions. I know what I know man it's just chicken **** when people consistently avoid calling a spade

this is the subtle, covert racism that people hate to talk about and people are scared to admit to

they want for us to just silently accept it

and people will tell themselves whatever they have to

even the customer service lady she talked to

"sorry youre having a bad day" = sorry we were racist and you called us out on it, but since we wont admit it lets just chalk it up to your sensitivity :smh:

You reaching on the last part fam. I have heard that response 80% of the time when I am pissed at customer service. You might be right about some of the other stuff but let's not dislocated a shoulder with reading too deep.

Last edited:
See that's the thing, for my sitiuaion it's not the the practice but the way they came at me.

I'm sorry but this form of prejudice is the most infuriating cause it's easy to write off as me overreacting or people saying extscly what you did. I know when someone is doing they job and someone is using their job to perpetuate their own bigoted views of the world.

I gotta side with sister girl cause I've dealt with this nonsense before. Hell I went to my bank to make a money order and was brought to a cubicle for a serous of dumb questions. I know what I know man it's just chicken **** when people consistently avoid calling a spade
Whether you get treated like crap or treated like their favorite customer has no direct correlation to heir compliance with federal regulations. The reason why banks are encouraged to cater to customers is because they don't want their clients to close their accounts, not because some possible lawsuit.

If you continually get treated like crap at the same bank, leave and find another one. Either way, you're still going to run into the same Reg CC issue.

you call it what you want

ive had customer service tell me that 80% of the time too

and 50% of those times it was an apology for some racist ****

like what possibly made her have a bad day, in the customer service lady's eyes?

why did she feel the need to vehemently uphold the "fact" that the guy in the bank absolutely wasnt racist?

and how would she know that for a fact? 

its rude of them to even say that now that i think about it

cuz if the lady felt as if he was thats her right, its not for the customer service lady to push her .02 in

either way from top to bottom its all smells like covert racism to me

but we all have different opinions

so the minimum then is the same day but only after you've been demeaned and humiliated and had to call them out on it correct?

The more i think about it this sounds like a white man who just couldnt believe/accept that a black person could legitimately have "x" amount of dollars

I bet what it was is she probably deposited like his whole year salary in one check and it got him upset

Prejudiced/bigoted/racist white people hate to see others, especially black people, doing as well or better than them

Last edited:
Having been in the banking industry, thats the standard protocol for new accounts. But they handled this situation poorly, like some said that check shouldve been on hold from the get go and she shouldve been notified immediately. The way they had her come back and interrogated her is disgusting, if anything they should've just put the hold on and notify her about it without asking any questions. Once the holds in place theres really no reason to ask any further questions.

Last edited:
This is every urban metropolis it seems.

Now with amazon, and google pushing all these people into the city with completely different mindsets expect
even more of this ish in Seattle. They look at you crazing for living in a neighborhood you grew up in and they
just happen to spend x10 the cost because of the location to the company. :smh: Would have never stepped foot
in the CD 10 years ago!

Last edited:
This happened to a coworker of mine(not black), except the bank questioned her immediately. I think this is standard procedure to be honest for large deposits.
FALSE. Only checks over $9,999 are to be questioned and you have to fill out an IRS form stating where the funds came from.

Scamming is at an all time high and they don't believe that black people can make good money without scamming .

I worked IT at a bank and we were required to take the tellers courses. Never have I heard of a 9 day hold on a check because its a new account. I'd close my account immediately.

Last edited:
Standard practice or not, you can tell when someone is treating you like a criminal vs being informative. We know, we deal with this every day.

Back
Top Bottom