FIXED GEARS

Originally Posted by DL2352

Originally Posted by wrukus

eyes.gif
at dude calling skateboarding a fad. i personally have been skateboarding for 20+ years, and most people i know have skated for close to that long. skateboarding was around before i found it too. what kinda fad lasts that long? i've been riding fixed for 3 years now, and lots of people have been riding longer than that. its called transportation. anyway, here's mine.
Clean
smokin.gif

I have a pair of drops just sitting in my closet collecting dust. What kind of handlebar tape / or grips do you recommend?
for grips oury is the way to go
pimp.gif

I have Oury grips on my risers. Thanks for the suggestion for tape though. Any suggestions for grips on drops?

Originally Posted by endemic415

hipster white kids ride these, hypebeast pinoy kids are starting to pick up on this (i'm filipino)
ive started to notice this in socal. i got a frame(76 centrium le mans) in the garage that is waiting for me to put it together, but funds aresuper low. im going to get it set up before the end of this month so i can start saving money.

just got a bmw fork.. 700c barspins ... i need a bigger frame though.. probably will end up getting a 59cm steamroller

I just got a Mercier TT, need to get some actual steel toe clips tho, I can't get my left foot into the cheap plastic ones haha. Looking for a straight bartoo, just not sure what kind.

Who brought theirs out for the warmer weather?

Considering my regular mountain bike got stolen at college, I was just thinking about putting one together given I've got a couple of months off.

Any tips...

Yo I fixed up my bike today
pimp.gif

Now I got 4 fixies and steeling one for 350 ..

Im riding from staples center to the angels stadium
eek.gif
\

Midnight Ridazz

I want a fixed gear ... But I dont want to spend $500-600 on a bike.

Either that or Im just going to have to get an old 10 speed Ross or something.

Starting a new project on an old Nishiki. Converting it to Fixed soon as I get decent brakes. Can't skid yet.

Originally Posted by solemunchies

Starting a new project on an old Nishiki. Converting it to Fixed soon as I get decent brakes. Can't skid yet.
I have an old nishiki that I wanna single speed or fixie as well. I love the frame and that's about it
5prhts.jpg

as you can tell, it needs a TON of work

bus pass from college kid per semester fo unlimited bus and light rail use all year: 85x3 = $255/year
tires and tubes for popping: <$20/year

overall, i use it to get around. i'm self-employed in a sense and work about 12-14 hours a day, gets me to work and home, bus pass during winter mainly oremergencies or if im lazy that day
been riding for a little over 1.5 years. the pedalling problem is just something you just gain with experience, learning to judge when to stop or slowpedalling, or calculating and avoiding cars. your ideal bike probably won't be what you initially get. my first was a leaders frame.

my daily ride setup: $1k+, but saved so much on gas/insurance/etc........, and keeps me in shape by biking hours a day.
i don't do tricks. no health insurance makes me not attempt things like this and other activities.

~Lefty

^ Nice FTP.

Here is my bike. It's been my primary means of transportation in the Bay and now Boston. In the city, it beats subways and cars in terms of time.

3594175490_f1d81e7607.jpg

Originally Posted by solemunchies

Majestic...

I believe we have the same frame
laugh.gif
not sure but is yours heavy?
haha yeah it looks really similar
laugh.gif
, mine doesn't saynishiki down the side but yeah it's pretty heavy. Steel frames are usually heavy but mine feels like a tank.

At least where I go to college, fixies are indeed a trend. The number on campus compared to two years ago has EXPLODED. I'm not against the idea of asingle speed setup, but what I dont understand about fixies is...why fixed? You can buy single speed setups that achieve the same thing in terms of what Ialways here listed as the benefits (cheap, low maintenance, etc), without the difficulty of riding a fixie. The mere fact that I see so many people who onlycasually ride to and from campus, yet have dropped hundreds on matching wheels/bartape/seat/pads/cards in their spokes makes me think it really is more of astatus/image thing than anything else. Part of the whole see and be seen hipster vibe. Blah, no thanks.

Back
Top Bottom