FIXED GEARS

Originally Posted by Quig707

At least where I go to college, fixies are indeed a trend. The number on campus compared to two years ago has EXPLODED. I'm not against the idea of a single speed setup, but what I dont understand about fixies is...why fixed? You can buy single speed setups that achieve the same thing in terms of what I always here listed as the benefits (cheap, low maintenance, etc), without the difficulty of riding a fixie. The mere fact that I see so many people who only casually ride to and from campus, yet have dropped hundreds on matching wheels/bartape/seat/pads/cards in their spokes makes me think it really is more of a status/image thing than anything else. Part of the whole see and be seen hipster vibe. Blah, no thanks.
I totally agree with that status/part. But what about the honest guy who just wants to do something to abide time for another art project, haha.

I mean its like fixing up an old ride, the fun part. My dad bought a '77 Vette just two weeks ago, yeah its got the class... but maintaining up part is thebest part.

Fixed bikes are rare at least at my college, but I can definitely relate to your trend mentality that you speak of. Some just do it, just cause.

Hipster this, hipster that. But the thing that can't be avoided is real recognize real. If you're a herb that can't ride, it will be madeexplicitly clear no matter what you're on.

557260638a676a1d25420172fd84bb93079d5b61.jpg

In need of a new saddle & might flip the bars...

How about... I ride fixed gears because I have better control over the bike. How about... I ride fixed gears because it's just more fun for me. Howabout... I ride fixed because I can ride faster than you.

Labels are for losers. Don't like fixed gear, don't buy one.

Just got new brakes and handle bar tape. Pics coming soon if not later. Wasn't there a previous Bike Thread? Where'd that go?

We should keep bumping this thread regardless of the labels!

I got a mercier TT, only thing I've changed is I've put on some nitto risers. Planning on changing the pedals and clips next.

Originally Posted by Quig707

At least where I go to college, fixies are indeed a trend. The number on campus compared to two years ago has EXPLODED. I'm not against the idea of a single speed setup, but what I dont understand about fixies is...why fixed? You can buy single speed setups that achieve the same thing in terms of what I always here listed as the benefits (cheap, low maintenance, etc), without the difficulty of riding a fixie. The mere fact that I see so many people who only casually ride to and from campus, yet have dropped hundreds on matching wheels/bartape/seat/pads/cards in their spokes makes me think it really is more of a status/image thing than anything else. Part of the whole see and be seen hipster vibe. Blah, no thanks.

on a road bike you have multiple gears. i got tired of gears in a sense. i ended up cruising a lot or even with it on the spinningest gear, still ended upspeeding up and then had many a time end up cruising or outpedalling in a sense. kinda hard to explain, without trying and experiencing. nice bob jackson also.

isn't the BMW fork also HELLA HEAVY?
~Lefty

n664083031_2071740_5289.jpg

Tommaso Agusta. got it for $160 brand new from who got it from Italy and didn't want to ride it anymore. and i added some straight strip bars on it.i'll try taking a new pic.
n664083031_2071746_6717.jpg

and i have some lime green Deep-Vs just chillin at the place.

Originally Posted by doosta45

Originally Posted by endemic415

hipster white kids ride these, hypebeast pinoy kids are starting to pick up on this (i'm filipino)
ive started to notice this in socal. i got a frame(76 centrium le mans) in the garage that is waiting for me to put it together, but funds are super low. im going to get it set up before the end of this month so i can start saving money.

the thing i noticed about the pnoys who started picking it up is that they only ride w/ fellow pnoys not the bike community in general. i hardly see a pnoybiking by himself. im filipino btw but i noticed most filipinos always want to be on the newest coolest things, but sooner or later they will drop it forsomething new. thats why you dont see any pro filipino skateboarders and such because they are to busy making a social image at the present for themselves andjust drop it later. eventually the people true to the sport will stay so no worries

Originally Posted by rowbot626

hipster white kids ride these, hypebeast pinoy kids are starting to pick up on this (i'm filipino)
ive started to notice this in socal. i got a frame(76 centrium le mans) in the garage that is waiting for me to put it together, but funds are super low. im going to get it set up before the end of this month so i can start saving money.

the thing i noticed about the pnoys who started picking it up is that they only ride w/ fellow pnoys not the bike community in general. i hardly see a pnoy biking by himself. im filipino btw but i noticed most filipinos always want to be on the newest coolest things, but sooner or later they will drop it for something new. thats why you dont see any pro filipino skateboarders and such because they are to busy making a social image at the present for themselves and just drop it later. eventually the people true to the sport will stay so no worries
this man speaks the truth. filipinos annoy me a lot of times, im filipino btw
its so ironic how dudes were on my back *pause* for riding a fixed, and now these same dudes is riding a fixed too. a bunch of lames if you ask me.
personally i dont prefer group rides, because you have to either have to catch up or slow down with the people youre riding with. i feel relaxed when im alone

Originally Posted by yancancook90

Originally Posted by rowbot626

the thing i noticed about the pnoys who started picking it up is that they only ride w/ fellow pnoys not the bike community in general. i hardly see a pnoy biking by himself. im filipino btw but i noticed most filipinos always want to be on the newest coolest things, but sooner or later they will drop it for something new. thats why you dont see any pro filipino skateboarders and such because they are to busy making a social image at the present for themselves and just drop it later. eventually the people true to the sport will stay so no worries
this man speaks the truth. filipinos annoy me a lot of times, im filipino btw
its so ironic how dudes were on my back *pause* for riding a fixed, and now these same dudes is riding a fixed too. a bunch of lames if you ask me.
personally i dont prefer group rides, because you have to either have to catch up or slow down with the people youre riding with. i feel relaxed when im alone

yeah mann i feel yah filipinos are contradictory type of people. sometimes i just want to sock a lot of em in the face haha i guess this is growing up :/

Damn, bashing on Filipinos. hahaha I'm Filipino too. But I have to agree with most of you guys. Anybody that was 14-18 years old and lived in LA a fewyears ago remembers Glendale? :rofl:g

But you got to admit, Filipinos that are making it big are taking over the world...or maybe Asians in general

pimp.gif
this thread!

Im a huge biking fanatic, ive got my '08 Fuji Roubaix racing bike and a triathlon bike frameset. With those two its kinda hard to save up for a fixie. Thissummer though I'm gonna look around garage sales/craigslist/ebay/classifieds/etc for a nice fixie frame. I used to ride one a long long time ago and Ireally miss having it. seeing pics of all these sweet rides is making me want one real bad! keep this thread rollin.

any fixed gear riders from ontario?

raf, wsup, haven't seen your name about, that a FTP you got painted?

White B43 and White 650 Deep-V Laved to Pewter All-City Hubs
dsc_08462.jpg

and white All-City crankset looks purty
dsc_08442.jpg

group rides blow for the most part unless its fast, many times it ends up lagging and some have to catch up here or therE, or the pace set is fast(fun)
~Lefty

Been busy, but still check the forum every now and again. Don't really post much any more.
Its actually a leader 725tr with an FTP fork. Its pretty much the same frame as the FTP. Waiting on a new frame to come in though...
That cutter looks clean, it'll barspin a 700 to though right?

What is so attractive about these bikes to people? Not trying to bash anyone, just asking.
Alsoooo is there any difference in the ride compared to a mountain bike or bmx...

Oh and can I get info on this
01_%20trek_CruiserClassic.jpg

i.e. where they can be found, how comfy is the ride and how much do they cost?

yo, my Nephew is carbonlord......you need something this-kind-of-bike-related, i'm pretty sure he can hook you up...

get at me on AIM: enphanate

With different bikes the ride is going to change a lot since different bikes have different purposes. There are several things to think about including thegeometry of the bike, weight and so on.

If your looking for a cruiser I would check your local bike shop or craigslist.

As far as why people ride fixed gear bikes, everyone has their own reasons, trends, training, socialization...

Also if your in the bay area this weekend you dont want to miss this...

3573858683_de63b83f90_o.jpg

it is most definitely a fad. you would be fooling yourself if you believe otherwise. no one was riding these things a few years ago and a few years from nowyou wont be seeing a ton of them around either. i like the way they look and what not but they are not practical for most. its a trendy thing and like alltrendy things it will fade away.

Back
Top Bottom