FIXED GEARS

Nice roadie. I've been wanting to pick one up for a while now, but unfortunately the funds wont allow.

I'm thinking about getting a Mercier Kilo TT as a beginner bike. It fits my budget. I don't feel like finding parts and put together at the moment.

Originally Posted by dream5hift

I'm thinking about getting a Mercier Kilo TT as a beginner bike. It fits my budget. I don't feel like finding parts and put together at the moment.
kilos are great bikes, just as reliable as bikes twice the price. The only thing on them thats a little iffy is the wheel set, but for a beginnerbike they should be fine.

Oh yeah, you should get a different set of tires cause the ones that come on it are doodoo.

I'm contemplating selling my bike while the kids still think it's whats hot but I know I'll regret it since I really like riding it. I justdon't have time to ride anymore due to work and location and it kills me to see it collecting dust.

I like continentals, and usually ride and ultra sport up front and a gatorskin in the back.
Randos are good too, but only come in a 28 which can be a little sluggish.

*Edit*

As far as tire sizing if you are planing on doing tricks I would go with a wider tire so you dont break you wheelset, if not 23s are good.

Originally Posted by dream5hift

what tires you recommend me getting and where?
I run a Vittoria Rando in the back and Vittoria Rubino up front.
Before that I had Continental GP4000s which I had gotten for free.

My only gripe about the Rando is how heavy and slugish it feels. Definitely perfect for the street tho, I haven't gotten a flat and they slide for dayswhen skidding. For the front try and get something with good puncture resistance. I'd also recommend Gatorskins, a lot of my friends run those.

gatorskin on the front...

rubino on the back....

i kno plenty of people who run randos on the back because theyre legit. but i think the rubino skids easier....

Originally Posted by Redrum SB

before
30n9d0z.jpg
after:
2mg5uyt.jpg

I took the red paint off with sandpaper and used white Krylon primer on the body then spray painted it flat black. I got some white primer on the wheel'sbecause I forgot to tape them up so they wouldn't get painted
grin.gif
, butI ended up taping the tire's up to paint the rim's fluorescent Pink.
I like the way it came out
pimp.gif
. It was a decent amount of work but thematerial's only cost me $15.
btw, is it possible to convert this bike to a single speed? I realized that it has gear's which I don't like too much.

eef4h.jpg

quick phone pic from the park the other day

2009 schwinn madison picked up a couple of weeks ago.
got new bar tape, saddle, saddle bag, pedals/clips/straps(original set up was trash)
threw on blackburn headlights and tail lights for night riding.

i've been having a blast riding it since i've gotten it until today
got into an accident when a car rolled through a stop sign while i was riding by

anyway- the frame is a tank but my rear wheel is bent so no riding til i get a replacement...
other then that a few dings and scratches on the driveside of the bike where i got hit

hopefully will have her up and rolling by this weekend tho!

Damn, thats crazy. Glad you're alright.

my second/beater/winter bike
d30350554fc0733ea8ef47a0d27e665fc43ae8b.jpg

ok im houston. but havent found a bike shop that sells fixed gears.. a little help would greatly be apprciated?
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by green1bay

ok im houston. but havent found a bike shop that sells fixed gears.. a little help would greatly be apprciated?
ohwell.gif

what I did was just go thru whatever website the bike I'm interested in and they usually had a locate a dealer button or something. they may not have whatu want there but they'll at least be able to order it. buyin from a website is a good option if you already know what size bike u want

Is that a single speed? If so, I believe it would consist of removing the free wheel and replacing it with a cog and lockring. I personally have never done theconversion before so I hope others can chime in if there is more to the process.

So whats the difference between a fixed and single gear bike? What are the advantages of a fixed gear? I'm gettin the feelin that some people get thembecause it's fad..

Back
Top Bottom