FIXED GEARS

To convert that bike to a fixed gear you need to check and see if the rear hub has a fixed side to it. If it does all you need to do is buy a cog and lockringand your good to go. If not then you need to get a new rear wheel that is fixed. Also you will want to get some foot retention, i.e. toe clips and footstraps.

The difference between a fixed gear and a single speed is the lack of coasting. There are advantages and disadvantages to riding a fixed gear, just like withany bike. Of course there are people who are just doing it because its a fad, but the same can be said about just about anything.

Originally Posted by DontStepOnMyKs

Originally Posted by green1bay

ok im houston. but havent found a bike shop that sells fixed gears.. a little help would greatly be apprciated?
ohwell.gif

what I did was just go thru whatever website the bike I'm interested in and they usually had a locate a dealer button or something. they may not have what u want there but they'll at least be able to order it. buyin from a website is a good option if you already know what size bike u want

alrightt thankss bro..

I recently got into an accident also.

fractured my collar bone/clavicle was at the hosp. bike is straight though thank god.

but the healing process is like 6+ months . . i'm a miss riding
frown.gif

Originally Posted by dream5hift

what is a good online parts shop?
http://www.eighthinch.com
This website has some great products that are very decently priced.

So whats the difference between a fixed and single gear bike? What are the advantages of a fixed gear? I'm gettin the feelin that some people get them because it's fad..
A single speed bike is similar to a bmx. It has one single gear and a freewheel so you can coast. On a fixed gear the cog is fixed to the wheelsso whenever the rear wheel turns, so do the pedals. On a fixed gear you cannot coast and to slow down you need to apply resistance. You do not need brakes ona fixie.

Some people ride fixie because its a fad or whatever but some people do it for different reasons. Personally I like the simplicity and the aesthetics of abike without all the wires and gears and crap. A single speed or fixie is much easier to maintain as well.

Originally Posted by rafsjays

To convert that bike to a fixed gear you need to check and see if the rear hub has a fixed side to it. If it does all you need to do is buy a cog and lockring and your good to go. If not then you need to get a new rear wheel that is fixed. Also you will want to get some foot retention, i.e. toe clips and footstraps.

The difference between a fixed gear and a single speed is the lack of coasting. There are advantages and disadvantages to riding a fixed gear, just like with any bike. Of course there are people who are just doing it because its a fad, but the same can be said about just about anything.
i dont even know what all that is. You got pictures to see what your talking about?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

just let me know evrythin i need to get to make this bike look wet
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Ok, I'll break it down for you. Check the hub, on the opposite side of the cog to see if there are threads to put another cog on (called a flip flop hub).If there are no threads on the other side then you need a new wheel. If there is threads then it gets more complicated. You need to check that there are twosets of threads, one for the cog and one for the lockring (see pic). The threads should be at different levels as shown in the pic, also the threads for thelockring are reversed.

Once that is figured out all you need is a cog and a lockring and you are good to go.

52025b54e97eca4e4ead0977cda3a238b77ca67.jpg

If you still have any questions feel free to ask, I'll try my best to explain.

Originally Posted by Frijolero

fixed gear is like stage 7 of the hypebeast evolution, right after the "professional photographer" stage.
real talk.
if your getting into cycling because its "cool" your a clown, and you can be spotted a mile away. This summer was horrible for riding because ofall the kids riding around trying to be seen and not knowing proper riding etiquette.

I hope all of you have a break and WEAR A HELMET!!!

Originally Posted by 5thGearidah

Originally Posted by Frijolero

fixed gear is like stage 7 of the hypebeast evolution, right after the "professional photographer" stage.
real talk.
if your getting into cycling because its "cool" your a clown, and you can be spotted a mile away. This summer was horrible for riding because of all the kids riding around trying to be seen and not knowing proper riding etiquette.

I hope all of you have a break and WEAR A HELMET!!!

People who don't really ride and do it just to be cool will always stand out like a sore thumb, and will give up sooner rather than later. But people withno riding etiquette just drive me crazy. I mean if you want to ride like an idiot and be all over the road then ride by yourself. They don't understandthat they are putting other peoples lives at risk.

+1 on wearing a helmet. I've seen some pretty nasty accidents and looking cool without a helmet is definitely not worth it. Although I admit that I'mguilty of not always wearing it.
embarassed.gif

Looking to pick up a new hub for my bike.

Which one of these do you recommend I lace up to a B43?

Chub Hub
colins_chub_hub_eai_gold_metal_cog.jpg

or a Phil Wood?
DSC_0520.9.jpg

^get the CHUB HUB, it hear its light for its size, then again Phil hubs tend to last a very long time.
CHUB HUB to B43 should be so dope, i wish i could have that setup for my rear wheel right now.

can somebody recommend me a frame set. I wanted to get into cycling to get back into shape. I was thinking a Bianchi pista frame.

Save your money and get a mercier kilo tt from bikesdirect.com Its a great starter frame and its only $350 complete.

If your trying to decide between phils and chubs, you have to decide whether you want strength and durability or something lightweight and stylish. PersonallyI think they are both great hubs, and they both look great, its a tough choice.

Back
Top Bottom