Former St. John's Stars appreciation post Vol. Chris Mullin, Ron Artest, Mark Jackson,...

No mention of Willie Shaw? Didnt Roshown McLeod's bum !!% go to St. John's before selling his soul to the devil in order to transfer to Duke?

laugh.gif
@ willie shaw....
646777.jpg

this was his 1st game against Kentucky....he was NOTHING without Omar Cook...this dude was buttcheeks after Cook bounced... he's put on a bit of weightsince his days at SJU
2805_IMG_1136.jpg

How many teams do the Globe Trotters have? I could have sworn they have a squad that just plays exhibition games vs. college teams, and another that plays the"fun" type of games vs. the Generals....

*wasn't McLeod duke's first transfer basketball player after he played at SJU?

Jim Calhoun tried to tell the public that he was the best player he's ever had off of off season practices

we gotta get some sort of Calhoun thread going....this dude is pure comedy in some of his press conferences....did u see the one where they asked him about whyhe didn't recruit Ryan Gomes? He flat out went..."I f'd up....what do you want me to tell you? I f'd up"
roll.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

My bad Shannon, it was Deng. the 6 foot 11 three point shooter/athlete
smh.gif
calhoun had all of america fooled

laugh.gif
. I mixed up the damn african names
laugh.gif
Jim Calhoun tried to tell the public that he was the best player he's ever had off of off season practices
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
...I like everyone else was fooled. My good friend went at UConn atthis time and all he would talk about was Deng and before you knew it he was gone. Sports Illustrated did a huge article on the dude. Started his career atUConn with much hype and ended it at Fairfield with nobody even caring.

As an Alumni it is depressing. Hatten is actually what made me apply I got rejected from my first school and watched SJU play Duke and Hatten made a FT withlike .01 on the clock to beat the Dukies and I applied right after online lol. I don't know what to say aside from they are straight garbage. My pops wastelling me back in the day SJU used to be like a prestigious program and it was an honor to be a Johnny. Now people know it is a good school, but theirbasketball team is not even mentionable.

Yall should try to make a move for Jay Wright...

his ability at St Johns would be better used than at Nova...has NY ties.

Bobby G woulda been great, and if he was hired, Lance Stephenson would be coming next year.

Pitino or Cal would get things going in a hurry.

I still will say a smart hire is Anthony Grant...

former Gtown assistant Sydney Johnson is doin a nice job at Binghamton now and somebody is gona scoop him up soon

all of that is fine and dandy but those that know SJU management, the chances these geniuses will make a move is minimal. complacent %$@ $$%@+!

Anthony Grant gotta better job right now at VCU why da hell would he leave for that ++!+ hole on Utopia pkway

Anybody not named Norm Roberts can recruit there.

Still so much talent in NYC/NJ...

plus the money would be better.

I've never been to the campus or seen campus facilities or the location...(the way yall talk it cant be good
laugh.gif
)

But It's no worse than what the Georgetown job was 4 years ago. Poor facilities, no on campus arena..but a ton of talent in the area....and NYC would getbehind a good program again.

In college sports the coach(es) make all the difference in the world.

They got a bad one right now, X and O's and on the recruiting trail.....somebody can turn that around fairly quick, imo.

In college sports the coach(es) make all the difference in the world.

tru but why would Grant even look at St Johns
He has set himself up for an established job, nothin where he'd have to work miracles and turn the program around. He's easily top 5 hottest names incoaching.

Even if they gave him 40 million, it would be a bad move profession wise

Sheeeeiit, you wanna talk about facilities?!

Ima put it like this.... Every other school's gym/arena makes ours look like a damn soup kitchen. EVERY school in the Big East > Us.

I'd take pics, its pathetic. I can understand why students wont come here but then again I was amazed when people like Ron Artest, Felipe Lopez, Hattenetc.... chose SJU over anything else.

^ I doubt McDonough is much better than what every is on your campus, but idk.

gunna, I just think being in the big city, the recognition that can come with it, the money.....potential players he can get in there...

it's not a bad chance to take. Coaches have egos, I don't know about him, but most think they can be the guy.

At SJU, he can potentially get the best city players, keep them away from Pitt and Nova, etc.....

at VCU, he's gettin DMV leftovers.

I don't think it takes a miracle worker there....yet.

However, let continue this it'll turn into one of those jobs.

I can see Grant not taking it based on the fact he has no NY ties...he'd have to dip into some AAU/HS programs for an assistant or two....maybe FSU firesHamilton and he heads back down there, idk.

the best option would be a young, goodcoach in the MAAC or at Hofstra, Fordham...but I don't think any fit that.

And Grant might not even be a top choice, just throwing his name out there, because like said, he's a hot candidate now.

Maybe Norm gets another year, I really don't know.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

"showtime"...had to be one of the most over hyped players I've seen in the Big East

indifferent.gif
smh.gif

Knee injuries decimated my dude...

Lance Stephenson @ SJU??? That would be a good look....If he doesn't come to Duke
tongue.gif
, I want him to go to St. Johns....Or stay in the BE one way oranother....

Anthony Grant = LSU.

St Johns is going to come back. New York/Jersey recruiting base, home games at MSG, one of the 5 or 10 winningest programs in college hoops history... All thisprogram needs is a coach that knows his *@+ from a hole in the ground. Guys like Coach Cal, Pitino, Jay Wright would rebuild that program in a HURRY. But atthe same time, they all may be pipe dreams. It's pretty much a given at this point that hiring another Norm Roberts or Mike Jarvis is not the answer. Theyneed to do something to shake things up. Go throw every resource you have in the lap of some established coach, or maybe go out and take a chance on MarkJackson...

They need to try and get Bob Hurley......
Yah, that would be the best with his sons doin the recruiting...

but if he didn't take it when Jarvis left, he wouldn't now.

Nowitness, I agree that he's probably gona get that job if he wants it.

Knee injuries decimated my dude...
Post injury Hill showed me he had no legit game
laugh.gif
....nah,but I never saw him as a great NY guard like people made him out to be

maybe go out and take a chance on Mark Jackson...

Might as well, its obvious he wants to coach...and he'd probably take the job. I'd assume he could recruit.

Oh and look what Fred Hill is already doin at Rutgers as far as recruiting...

nothing real special, but kids like Cobourn, Chandler, Rosario....he's getting, something Roberts can't do.

That program is headed in a lot better direction than SJU right now.

They got a coach who can recruit NY/NJ

As an alumnus it pain`s me to see this team in the state it is today . Mike Jarvis decimated the program by alienating all local High School and AAU coacheswith his arrogant holier than thou attitude . He won with Fran Fraschilla`s players ( Artest, Barkley , Postell , Ty Grant , Bootsy Thorton) and basically leftthis place in the mess it is today... BUT , Norm Robert`s, I can assure you ... is NOT the answer . He is a tireless worker and a good man that`s restoredcredibility @ St. John`s but he simply cannot coach . He is a terrible X and O `s guy and his recruiting has been sub par . Hopefully all this losing withalert the administration ( Father Harrington) that it`s time for yet another change . I know the fan base is restless , we need a real homerun coach this time!

But other than that ... APPRECIATED

My dude Bootsy Thorton , I didn't see his name mentioned .

Gotta give it up to Malik Sealy (RIP) as my all time fav

also not mentioned here Bill Wennington , Jayson Williams , and Walter Berry .

Someone posted Jack Wollfinger ? That kid was a straight up duck ! Soft as baby issh .

DoubleJ`s - u on redmen.com or bigeastboards.com?

DoubleJ`s - u on redmen.com or bigeastboards.com?

Nah.....funny thing is, I never registered for an account on either...I lurk on both forums though

anyone remember this bum? "Special FX?"

41443749543f4554888bc06fa4cc82d8.jpg

I can understand why students wont come here but then again I was amazed when people like Ron Artest, Felipe Lopez, Hatten etc.... chose SJU over anything else.

That was back when saying "you can play under the lights at the world's most famous arena MSG" acually held merit during a recruiting pitch. Now,no one cares that they can play at MSG for some of their home games....WE HAVE TO RESTORE THE TRADITION!!!

Two words for the next coach of St. John's: Jim O'Brien. The man can coach, recruit as seen at Boston College and Ohio State.

::sigh:: ...I got one year left mann...I had to mess around and come during arguably the programs worst 4 years...smh... As for facilities...I forgot who I wastalking to (either one of my professors, or somebody from NT, cant remember)...and we were talking about the lack of sju's upgrades so to speak and theymentioned that carneseca is like the only big time university around that still has wood benches for their players (what is this elementary school?)...littlethings like that man...

...And as for MSG...if we dont get our act together sooner rather than later MS is gonna end up not renewing the Red Storm's contract to play BE gamesthere...I mean seriously, theyre not even a draw anymore...Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova games?...no joke it seems like a good 70% of the fans there duringthose games are cheering for the OTHER team...unbelievable...

yo which campus are u on? queens? my professor (Misere) was going OFF on the school and its failure to spend money to upgrade.

::sigh:: ...I got one year left mann...I had to mess around and come during arguably the programs worst 4 years...smh... As for facilities...I forgot who I was talking to (either one of my professors, or somebody from NT, cant remember)...and we were talking about the lack of sju's upgrades so to speak and they mentioned that carneseca is like the only big time university around that still has wood benches for their players (what is this elementary school?)...little things like that man...

I haven't been over to the new athletic building that they have on campus, but let me tell you about how much the facilities were a joke when I wasthere...

-my first year, the STUDENT weightroom was in the UC. It was about 25 yards long and about 15 yards wide.

-The athlete weightroom in alumni was a joke. It was no bigger than a normal 4th grade classroom. There were hardly enough free weights and machines...

-The cardio room for athletes was no bigger.

-When they built the "new" student gym on the side of alumni, that was about 5x larger than what the athletes had to use. The facilities were a joke.I just don't see how they could lure ANYONE to come to the school. And like you said, 70% or more of the fans who go to MSG are from other schools...forgetabout it when UConn comes to town....they flat-out take over the Garden.

yo which campus are u on? queens? my professor (Misere) was going OFF on the school and its failure to spend money to upgrade.

LOL...Misere...his son Phil was a walk-on his Jr. year. He got MAJOR minutes for the Red Storm after the whole Pitt fiasco. I don't know how he did it,but he is playing professionally overseas....we used to call him Shawn Bradley when we played pick-up ball over at the "then" Alumni hall...this wasbefore he walked on...he was a lanky white kid, with marginal skill....even though it was a bad situation, he made out alright...if you would have seen thisguy in his "pre" SJU basketball days you would
laugh.gif
....The things he would do up at Traditions....

Back
Top Bottom