gaining weight in college

Whatsup NT. so right now I'm a freshman in college and about to finish up my first semester. Senior year of high school I was obsessed with going to the gym and lifting. I was making nice gains and was in great shape. Then as summer approached I started getting really bad pains in my left wrist. I went to the doctor, got xrays, MRIs, and they still couldn't figure out the exact problem. He told me not to lift weights anymore. Then school started and I was having a good time partying and what not. Then in about October I noticed I had gained a little weight. Then November hits and I'm up 15 pounds. Go to a new doctor and he figures out the problem but says its too early for surgery so I have to get physical therapy. Since I noticed I started getting fat I have been eating better and playing ball so I might have lost like 4 pounds. I just feel like a fat waste and its really starting to depress me and affect my confidence. I love to lift and it always kept my spirits up so you can imagine how the combo of not lifting and getting fat is really messing up my happiness. Is there anyone that can give me advice on what non-lifting exercises I can do to lose this weight? it all went to my stomach and hips. PLEASE NT IM BEGGING for help. I have never felt this poor about my life. 
embarassed.gif
frown.gif

I know this is a big wall of text but I'm really struggling over here

Best advice I can give you is to stop giving a $+!$ and enjoy those 4 years. The gym will always be there, being young in college wont

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Best advice I can give you is to stop giving a $+!$ and enjoy those 4 years. The gym will always be there, being young in college wont
Truth. I gained weight in college and most do (especially if you move away from home). I basically would gain mad weight throughout the year and lose it in summer.
laugh.gif
If it really bugs you that much, just eat better and do cardio or play sports. You can do insanity if you want also. But trust me, just enjoy college because you'll miss it when it's over. Best 4 years of my life and I just graduated in June. 
frown.gif

First of all, lifting does not make you lose weight. All you have to do is some jogging. Start with a mile then when you feel more comfortable, you can gradually increase. Jogging by breaking a sweat is the best ways to burn calories. Also, do abdominal exercises at least 4 times a week. I'm telling you from experience because last year at the spring time I fully ruptured my achilles tendon and had surgery.I was in a cast for 6 weeks and in a walking boot for at least 6 weeks more. I went to physical therapy for 7 months. I also did not lift weights for almost an entire year. Before I had surgery, I was 170 lbs and almost a year after that I was still 170 lbs. The reason I stayed the same weight was because I ate less and I did abdominal exercises regularly since I was not able to jog at the time. 

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

Truth. I gained weight in college and most do (especially if you move away from home). I basically would gain mad weight throughout the year and lose it in summer.
laugh.gif
If it really bugs you that much, just eat better and do cardio or play sports. You can do insanity if you want also. But trust me, just enjoy college because you'll miss it when it's over. Best 4 years of my life and I just graduated in June. 
frown.gif
This. I gained weight in college, but all muscle weight (not fat weight). Going to college was the best years of my life.

NO.
Here's my timetime (5'11" tall):

HS senior: 180

College freshman: 210

Sophomore: 220

Junior: 230

Senior: 205

Now (23 y/o): 190

It took me years to undo the damage I did to myself in college. All I did freshman year was smoke weed, order food, and drink beer. Did I have fun? Yeah. But I was a FAT MESS by junior year because I did exactly what you are describing... I stopped giving a !++#. It's a hard road back... 

By junior year I was depressed, living in an apartment by myself and watching my friends get all the girls. I was disgusting... all I wanted to do was trip on mushrooms, smoke weed, take acid, etc... easily the worst time of my life. I somewhat recovered senior year, and I am living a very healthy lifestyle now, but I have an incredible amount of regret for letting things get as bad as they did. The women want you to look good, just run a few miles a few times a week. Ten pounds over high school weight isn't bad... just don't let it get any further than that. You don't want to be the slob who got obese after high school.

Run, bike, swim. There are quite a few options open. When your wrist heals you can hit the weights again. Until then change it up.

First of all, lifting does not make you lose weight. All you have to do is some jogging. Start with a mile then when you feel more comfortable, you can gradually increase. Jogging by breaking a sweat is the best ways to burn calories. Also, do abdominal exercises at least 4 times a week. I'm telling you from experience because last year at the spring time I fully ruptured my achilles tendon and had surgery.I was in a cast for 6 weeks and in a walking boot for at least 6 weeks more. I went to physical therapy for 7 months. I also did not lift weights for almost an entire year. Before I had surgery, I was 170 lbs and almost a year after that I was still 170 lbs. The reason I stayed the same weight was because I ate less and I did abdominal exercises regularly since I was not able to jog at the time.

Whoa boy. We need to clear some stuff up in here to give OP proper advice.

You can't lose pounds lifting?  False.
All you have to do is jog?  Waste of time.
Jogging by breaking a sweat is the best way to burn calories? False.
Do ab exercises 4 days a week? False.
Ab exercises get you good weight loss? False.

Look, everyone has their way of doing things and doing what works for them. People are wired differently, have different metabolisms, have different schedules and motivation. Just getting into the gym itself (or getting outside) is half the battle to start off with and anyone getting off their butt and working towards bettering themselves I give props to. But to OP there are basic rules that can help you. First is realizing it's a marathon not a sprint. You aren't going to lose all your weight overnight. It takes time.

It sounds like you want to keep muscle mass while also cutting weight/fat and just being in better shape. And you have a bad wrist now. My advice? See if you can find any weights or machine or cables that you can do that hit different directions that don't cause pain for your wrist. If that is not at all possible and you are totally limp-wristed I would stick to cross training and swimming/biking/etc. Also, How about squats? Leg work? In any rate challenge yourself, start today and see how you can improve. Sounds like you got the motivation. Stick to it knowing yeah maybe these workouts are not ideal for you but you gotta weather the storm till you get healthy. Develop a sprint program at night or cycling class. Don't let a wrist tell you you can't do ANYTHING.

Then as has been stated already really key on your diet. Which you know. Cut out the crap. You will feel better and look better. Your diet is more important than anything.

Why do you make it sound so hopeless?  
laugh.gif

You can't do any heavy lifting because of your wrist, those aren't the only exercises you can do.  Go to the school gym and get on the treadmill or elliptical.  Go for a nice run around campus.  Use the machines for lower body exercises, do some ab work.

I didn't have a healthy lifestyle when I dormed but I never gained weight for some reason.  I drank a lot, smoked a lot, and a Burger King was next door to my building.  I was too busy to pig out on food.  I did make sure to go to the gym when I was free on the weekends.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Whoa boy. We need to clear some stuff up in here to give OP proper advice.

You can't lose pounds lifting?  False.
All you have to do is jog?  Waste of time.
Jogging by breaking a sweat is the best way to burn calories? False.
Do ab exercises 4 days a week? False.
Ab exercises get you good weight loss? False.

Look, everyone has their way of doing things and doing what works for them. People are wired differently, have different metabolisms, have different schedules and motivation. Just getting into the gym itself (or getting outside) is half the battle to start off with and anyone getting off their butt and working towards bettering themselves I give props to. But to OP there are basic rules that can help you. First is realizing it's a marathon not a sprint. You aren't going to lose all your weight overnight. It takes time.

It sounds like you want to keep muscle mass while also cutting weight/fat and just being in better shape. And you have a bad wrist now. My advice? See if you can find any weights or machine or cables that you can do that hit different directions that don't cause pain for your wrist. If that is not at all possible and you are totally limp-wristed I would stick to cross training and swimming/biking/etc. Also, How about squats? Leg work? In any rate challenge yourself, start today and see how you can improve. Sounds like you got the motivation. Stick to it knowing yeah maybe these workouts are not ideal for you but you gotta weather the storm till you get healthy. Develop a sprint program at night or cycling class. Don't let a wrist tell you you can't do ANYTHING.

Then as has been stated already really key on your diet. Which you know. Cut out the crap. You will feel better and look better. Your diet is more important than anything.

I'm not giving false info and I agree with you. But OP said that the weight went into is core area. Lifting small weight won't affect his weight, lifting heavy absolutely does but in a non-negative way called muscle mass. Muscle mass is definitely heavier than fat. I gave him that advise assuming he was not going to lift. You mentioned leg exercises like squats which are good for you, but I only mentioned jogging because it is good for your heart rate. Maybe I went overboard on saying doing abdominal workout 4 times a week, but you need it two times a week. I don't know exactly how much pain he is in, no matter what he sticks to small weights or he should rest his arm for a while as the pain reduces, then he can lift more. Other than lifting, running is one of the best ways to burn calories. Running is more efficient than cycling and even swimming, unless your name is Michael Phleps.

Originally Posted by Cheese Wagstaff

NO.
Here's my timetime (5'11" tall):

HS senior: 180

College freshman: 210

Sophomore: 220

Junior: 230

Senior: 205

Now (23 y/o): 190

It took me years to undo the damage I did to myself in college. All I did freshman year was smoke weed, order food, and drink beer. Did I have fun? Yeah. But I was a FAT MESS by junior year because I did exactly what you are describing... I stopped giving a !++#. It's a hard road back... 

By junior year I was depressed, living in an apartment by myself and watching my friends get all the girls. I was disgusting... all I wanted to do was trip on mushrooms, smoke weed, take acid, etc... easily the worst time of my life. I somewhat recovered senior year, and I am living a very healthy lifestyle now, but I have an incredible amount of regret for letting things get as bad as they did. The women want you to look good, just run a few miles a few times a week. Ten pounds over high school weight isn't bad... just don't let it get any further than that. You don't want to be the slob who got obese after high school.
Sounds like you had more problems than just gaining weight brah. Just b/c you went super out of control doesn't mean you need to tell that man to not enjoy himself
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Have fun, just don't be stupid. The best thing I did was stop going to McDonalds or a pizza place at 3 am. I gained 30 pounds throughout college (I was a twig in high school) but I put on the most when I ate late night and wouldn't play basketball at all the next day.

Drink and have fun. Just cut out the late night eating and throw in some exercise and you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom