GET OUT -- New horror film about black man meeting white gf's parents. Looks creepy.

For me, not really though I think as a British cat he played an American black man in that situation very well. No way that should translate to Get Out as a film not deserving awards. You're being purposely obtuse focusing on that one element to extend your argument and I'm not sure why I'm even bothering.

For me, not really though I think as a British cat he played an American black man in that situation very well. No way that should translate to Get Out as a film not deserving awards. You're being purposely obtuse focusing on that one element to extend your argument and I'm not sure why I'm even bothering.

Thank you. You agree with me. Regardless its been listed .We'll just have to see how it plays out at this point. But Im betting money it wont win and it shouldnt

Thank you. You agree with me. Regardless its been listed .We'll just have to see how it plays out at this point. But Im betting money it wont win and it shouldnt
No I don't agree with whatever goofy angle you're playing at. I don't think Leo deserved it last year, not for that performance.

I think we know why Moonlight got all that praise
Why? Because Chiron was gay?

Idk, I felt the story, acting & score were all compelling enough on their own to merit the critical acclaim it received.

I’m not saying the “gay agenda” angle didn’t play a role but those other aspects outweighed it’s influence imo.

No idea what is being talked about...but I do sense the convo shifting to white guilt....overrating average to good (not great) Black movies just because :nerd:.

If this is about Get Out....then yes...it was overrated. **** is like a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes :lol:. I’m a brother...and I can tell you the movie was cool....not great. There’s this lil trend I see with the whites in Hollywood being almost patronizing with some of this ****. Straight Out of Compton was an average at best movie...but was critically acclaimed.

We got enough talented black directors and actors out here that need the shine. I’m glad the recognition and shift is happening (LONG overdue)...and there is an effort to award our experiences and art....but I do feel there is a sentiment amongst white people of just “acclaim it Cuz it’s black”. Better late than never....Cuz they missed out on decades of great black film that they wrongly critiqued because they didn’t “get it”.

This is a convo I kinda want to have.

No idea what is being talked about...but I do sense the convo shifting to white guilt....overrating average to good (not great) Black movies just because :nerd:.

If this is about Get Out....then yes...it was overrated. **** is like a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes :lol:. I’m a brother...and I can tell you the movie was cool....not great. There’s this lil trend I see with the whites in Hollywood being almost patronizing with some of this ****. Straight Out of Compton was an average at best movie...but was critically acclaimed.

We got enough talented black directors and actors out here that need the shine. I’m glad the recognition and shift is happening (LONG overdue)...and there is an effort to award our experiences and art....but I do feel there is a sentiment amongst white people of just “acclaim it Cuz it’s black”. Better late than never....Cuz they missed out on decades of great black film that they wrongly critiqued because they didn’t “get it”.

And thats what Im saying. It just feels like they purposely prasing things cause its black. Idc if its black. Is it great?

That's a good point but I don't see it with the movies you named. Get Out is a great movie. Compton was real good. Can't let your personal opinion cloud too much.

They overrate and overpraise the movies with us as slaves and the "we shall overcome" movies. White folks LOVE those type of movies.

They released it in theaters so it could get consideration.
Didn't know this and didn't even see it promoted in theaters at the time. But I think the academy is specifically not considering any movie that releases on a streaming service. Also seems like the academy didn't even see the movie.

Just looked it up. Cuz this released online first, several movie theaters boycotted the movie (AMC, Cinemark, Regal, etc.) cuz that violated some 90 day window rule.

It was basically a limited release because of that.

Last edited:
Feel like we're conditioned to hate or downplay what is ours. Of the noms last year to me Moonlight was the most powerful, but you got folks saying it wasn't that great while getting swept up in the hype calling La la Land the best movie ever knowing damn well it didn't resonate with you.

Back
Top Bottom