GET OUT -- New horror film about black man meeting white gf's parents. Looks creepy.

While I really liked Moonlight and felt it was deserving to win I didn't think it was that great.

La La Land was a good movie but overall the message was bull ****. White ppl culturally appropriating jazz could never get my support.

Given the time since I think Fences should've won instead.

I really liked HoHW but it might've been missing something, I'm not sure.

Plus other than the obvious attention of a nomination it didn't get a lot of hype.

What Should We Make of Hell or High Water’s ‘Affectionate Racism’?
hell-or-high-water.png

http://thestake.org/2016/08/29/what-should-we-make-of-hell-or-high-waters-affectionate-racism/

Hell or Highwater is fairly typical in that it romanticizes – perhaps even mythologizes – the American Criminal as a sort of tragically broken figure trapped in a life that doesn’t suit his personality or movie star good looks. Which is not to say that the movie isn’t good—it is. In fact, it’s really good. It skips the mindless violence of most thrillers. The dialogue is sharp. The pacing is steady, favoring character development over a rocket ship that hurtles the viewer through the first act.

Chris Pine and Ben Foster play brothers (think the Riggins boys of Friday Night Lights in about twenty years) pulling off low-scale bank robberies in small Texas towns. They’re trying to pay off their mothers’s land, hoping to deed it to Pine’s younger sons. This information is parceled out slowly throughout the movie, and to great effect. Soon enough, the brother bank-robbers catch the attention of a set of Texas Rangers played by Jeff Brides and Gil Birmingham.

Bridges and Birmingham’s banter is laced with a familiarity that makes it seem as if they really have worked together for decades. To this end, Bridges’ character comes back again and again to what aNew York Times reviewer called “affectionate” racism. You know the type. It presents itself in break rooms and living rooms, comments that draw their “humor” from stereotypes and a claim of friendship or familiarity. Always followed by: It’s okay, I have lots of black friends!

Like I said, you know the type.

Hell, there’s no need to be cagey about this—I used to be the type. Of course, I never would’ve called myself a racist. We never do. But if I were watching a movie where an older white man “affectionately” ribbed his Mexican-Comanchee colleague… I would’ve laughed. In the theater. In the car on the way home. While telling my friends about the movie later in the week. And then he said…

I am willing to grant screenwriter Taylor Sheridan was attempting to go with realism in his depiction of west Texas. But when a character is blatantly racist and the target of that racism just smiles and ribs him back…at best it feels like a missed opportunity. At worst it’s another example of a white writer downplaying the reality of racism. Because while this back-and-forth might be seen as “affectionate” to white people, the day-to-day reality of women and men of color is cheapened for a few throwaway jokes.

(There’s a spoiler coming, so if you want to see this movie – and I still think you should – then perhaps you should stop reading now.)

Sheridan tries to let the white viewer (and perhaps himself) off the hook, of course. Near the end of the movie, Foster kills Birmingham just as Bridges is about to deliver another one of his sharp-mouthed one-liners. Bridges’ performance is heartbreaking in its believability. He’s lost a friend. Somebody he obviously cares about deeply. But even the performance isn’t enough to save the movie’s biggest sin.

If movies like Hell or Highwater want to speak to the problems facing our country – and the constant shots of debt relief billboards is a pretty obvious clue into Sheridan’s agenda—they need to force white viewers to finally reckon with their privilege. They need to show what lies beneath Birmingham’s character, exposing the discomfort and pain and anger.

This isn’t moralizing. Instead, it’s telling the story more authentically, without regard to the fragility of its white audience. Because that’s what a great movie does. It forces us to be convicted by our privilege, our racism. It opens us up and bothers the places we try to hide – try to deny exist – until they’re so raw we can no longer ignore them. Because if we can be convicted, we can be changed. And isn’t that the point?

I thought I replied, the meet was cool! Parents were blue collar, dad was a man of a few words. Mom was typical, she told every embarrassing she could and my girl tried to get her stop, but of course mom wouldn’t. Auntie was there and she is the “crazy” single aunt, very cool. They were gassing some polish food called perogies, it didn’t sound appetizing!

I thought I replied, the meet was cool! Parents were blue collar, dad was a man of a few words. Mom was typical, she told every embarrassing she could and my girl tried to get her stop, but of course mom wouldn’t. Auntie was there and she is the “crazy” single aunt, very cool. They were gassing some polish food called perogies, it didn’t sound appetizing!
Hmmmmmm

Do me a favor and click this

old-camera-flash-animated-gif.gif

tumblr_p4u2t2tpyQ1si0kwmo1_400.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_mj9xk2y6iX1r11lhoo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom