go to Texas Tech or community college for 1 year?

I got the acceptance letter from Texas Tech in the mail today. Im gonna apply for Uni. North Texas sometimes this week. But, Im comptemplating on going to a community college for the first year. If I do that I can stay home and the college is like 5 minutes away from my house. The downside of this is that all my efforts and achievements(I got a 1650 on the SAT) in high school is thrown out after i go to a community college, and it only counts from the community college. Another thing is I might miss out on the college life for the first year.

The main thing why i might do his is because Im a musician and I play guitar, and there is no way I can do that easily if I have to stay at a dorm or apartment.

If you go to comunity college go for 2 years instead of 1 to save the cash. Honestly, if you know what you want to do with your life and have your major pickedout then maybe you should go to Texas Tech. Its really up to what you can afford and what you want to learn.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

If you go to comunity college go for 2 years instead of 1 to save the cash. Honestly, if you know what you want to do with your life and have your major picked out then maybe you should go to Texas Tech. Its really up to what you can afford and what you want to learn.

how easy is it to transfer from community college to a 4 year college? Because Im wanting to transfer to a really good school like UT or A&M after I goto community college.

UNT is for the weird artsy freaks from high school.

Tech, according to my best friend, is the greatest college on Earth.

You sound like a UNT guy.

I heard the girls were
pimp.gif
at tech but stds are included...

DO NOT go to Texas Tech. I assume the reason you're going to college is to get a degree, not toilet paper.
I hate to come off as an elitist or something (because I'm not trying to at all), but Texas Tech is a joke and a half.

What are you wanting to major in though?

Originally Posted by abovetherim32

I got the acceptance letter from Texas Tech in the mail today. Im gonna apply for Uni. North Texas sometimes this week. But, Im comptemplating on going to a community college for the first year. If I do that I can stay home and the college is like 5 minutes away from my house. The downside of this is that all my efforts and achievements(I got a 1650 on the SAT) in high school is thrown out after i go to a community college, and it only counts from the community college. Another thing is I might miss out on the college life for the first year.

The main thing why i might do his is because Im a musician and I play guitar, and there is no way I can do that easily if I have to stay at a dorm or apartment.

You know this for a fact? I tranferred from a CC after one year and all the places I applied to asked to see my HS transcripts because if you are transferringin with less than 30 credits you will be considered a freshman.

You think a 1650 on the SAT is an accomplishment? Son you are below average. On top of that, Tech is a joke. UNT is a joke too. Go to CC and get yourself intoa real university that matters.

Community college. Get the ge's out the way then transfer.

I should have done this instead of spending 1300$ for tuiton plus books. When I could have paid 20$/unit. Less then 300$ for 12 units.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

You think a 1650 on the SAT is an accomplishment? Son you are below average. On top of that, Tech is a joke. UNT is a joke too. Go to CC and get yourself into a real university that matters.

EDIT: College Board average SAT score for 2007 College Bound: 1511

I think you should go to CC for a year(if you think you are ready) or 2 years once you finished your Gen Ed's. But first find out which college you want togo to. Then find their required GE's for your major. Take those classes early. It'll be much cheaper and you can also do the guitar thing until youthink your mature enough to be able to maintain it in an apartment scenerio (if thats possible
laugh.gif
) Good luck man!

UNT>>> Texas tech...

what city do you live in?

i'd much rather live in denton where you have a college atmosphere and are still 30 minutes away from the city life in dallas. i couldnt imagine living inwest texas!

Why not do what most people are doing...going to UTA for a year then transferring to UT.

I go to UT and put it like this. its really situational depending on what you want to do. If you go to a CC for a year please please please make sure youhave like a 4.0 or something higher than just a 3.0. A lot of it depends on what school you're trying to transfer into. They may admit you but I doubtyou can get into the harder and more competitive schools as easy.

One catch tho. I'm not sure if this is the same at all CCs but we can take courses concurrently at UT. I learned a little too late, but I sat down oneday and looked through all the courses from Austin Comm Coll that transferred over to UT, and it was some sillly amount. Mind you this is Engineering. Ofcourse all the basics are covered at ACC, but you have mad electives that can also be chopped out there too. and the biggest thing of all was that they evenhad some Engineering courses that transferred over. All in all. I probably could have taken about 50 or so credit hours from there.

my suggestion is find out wat u wanna do and lay out a map cuz I done see too many cats get swallowed up into the "imma do my basics at a CC thentransfer" hype and never make it out. Take it seriously

If you go to comunity college go for 2 years instead of 1 to save the cash. Honestly, if you know what you want to do with your life and have your major picked out then maybe you should go to Texas Tech. Its really up to what you can afford and what you want to learn.

how easy is it to transfer from community college to a 4 year college? Because Im wanting to transfer to a really good school like UT or A&M after I go to community college.

I've heard from people that have done this that this is an easier way to get into colleges, and it saves money. It seems like a good idea to me if youwant to save money and not have to move out.

Have you visited Texas Tech before? I would def. visit there first and see what kind of student life and music program they have.

As far as Texas Tech goes...I know some people who went down there for a football game and said that they would never be returning anytime soon. Lets just sayLubbock isn't the most happening place.

just make sure you get good grades at the community college so you actually are able to transfer to the school you want when you are done after 1 year. i wentto the U of M instead of going to a community college my first year, i dont think i made the right choice though

I go to Tech right now and can tell u that i love it...but u should deffinantly visit there and form ur own opinion about it first

You think a 1650 on the SAT is an accomplishment? Son you are below average. On top of that, Tech is a joke. UNT is a joke too. Go to CC and get yourself into a real university that matters.

Exactly. How is 1650 on the SAT an achievement? Get your %#$ to CC and transfer to UT or something.

yeah I know its not an accopmlishment or anything but that goes out in the gutter once i go to a CC. Also I live in a suburb near dallas, so Im about 50minutes from home, so I could visit my parents and get stuff from the house and I need. But then Tech has a better college life though right? If not I mig htjust go to UNT, or w/e.

Originally Posted by Gettin It Crackin

Exactly. How is 1650 on the SAT an achievement? Get your %#$ to CC and transfer to UT or something.

Deaded
roll.gif

Originally Posted by nealraj006

how easy is it to transfer from community college to a 4 year college? Because Im wanting to transfer to a really good school like UT or A&M after I go to community college.

I've heard from people that have done this that this is an easier way to get into colleges, and it saves money. It seems like a good idea to me if you want to save money and not have to move out.

I haven't done it, I just decided to go to St. John's because of a job I had waiting for me there, but I have heard that as long as you do well inyour classes and get your Associates transferring should be no problem. Just make sure you take classes the school you want to transfer into accepts.

eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom