HANNIBAL NBC | S3, Ep13 "The Wrath of the Lamb" 8/29/15 10/9c

We finally met Michael Pitt's Mason Verger in this episode. How did you approach creating that character?
Fuller: We wanted him to be the Joker to Hannibal Lecter's Batman. With Michael Pitt, I found his take on Mason to be charming and despicable, and yet I liked him as a person. And I needed to like Mason in order to write him because I didn't want to necessarily write the character in the book who raped his sister repeatedly her entire life. I can't get excited about sitting down and writing that character if that's the core of him. So, we changed his pedophilia and serial raping into a general sadism and curiosity of mankind that could more closely parallel Hannibal's curiosity with mankind. Mason is constantly introducing choices for the people that he manipulates that hold a little more curiosity. He loves to push buttons and see how people will react to various stimuli in their lives.

:stoneface: :smh:
I'm still viewing him as an incest pedo rapist along with being a sadist.

:smh: @ not having the stomach to write Mason cuz of his actions but you writing Hannibal with not problems cuz you can rationalize what he does as "curiosity of mankind" The Joker to his Batman is a bit of a stretch too.

I believe I read in an interview that they really changed the incest/rape angle because in the books he inferred that this abuse caused her to become a tranvestite. Back in the 80s & 90s it was acceptable to think that abuse caused homosexuality or transsexuality. Now that we know better, it's wise to avoid those GLAAD problems. She can simply be a lesbian that was treated badly and wants a baby boy for an heir.
Don't come off as a lesbian especially given her first seal act was with Will but all of that aside, just drop the ****** storyline.

Either way it shouldn't change Mason being a pedo rapist.

Did you not watch the show? Or really read what I wrote?

She's mentioned a couple times that she's a lesbian. Will even said they don't have the same proclivities

She only slept with will to get pregnant, so she can have a boy that will inherit the business. Their father said it would never pass over to a woman.

My first impression of Mason was that he was a cartoon character stuck in a real world. Guess I was imagining him to look more suave and not have the "mad scientist" hair.

Did you not watch the show? Or really read what I wrote?

She's mentioned a couple times that she's a lesbian. Will even said they don't have the same proclivities

She only slept with will to get pregnant, so she can have a boy that will inherit the business. Their father said it would never pass over to a woman.
I remember her talks with Hannibal about what her bro did to her but I'm blanking on her outright saying she's a lesbian. Feels like most of the time she's been on screen it's been with Hannibal and it's mainly been about killing her brother and how she's missed her chance. Maybe I'll rewatch and pay more attention to what she's said about being a lesbian.

Until the preview for tomorrow's ep, I haven't picked up on her wanting to get pregnant to have an heir for the company.

Last edited:
She said "I was born with the wrong parts and born with the proclivity for the wrong parts"

My first impression of Mason was that he was a cartoon character stuck in a real world. Guess I was imagining him to look more suave and not have the "mad scientist" hair.

I agree. That hair 'do, the glasses, Cruella de Vil like coat, & his voice & speech pattern... I felt it was ill fitting for the show...I'm surprised the director, writers, & producers saw that in & said it was cool to run with...

I agree. That hair 'do, the glasses, Cruella de Vil like coat, & his voice & speech pattern... I felt it was ill fitting for the show...I'm surprised the director, writers, & producers saw that in & said it was cool to run with...

Yea. He felt like an American Horror Story character instead of a Hannibal one.

I mean I like Mike Pitt, I just didn't like the approach to the character. I thought I even heard a little Edward G Robinson in Pitt's Mason voice...

I almost cant believe it got renewed bruhs. This is the only show I truly care about. They keep scaring us each season that its not gonna get renewed yet they pull through.
View media item 962646

Last edited:
:nthat:

Mason's look/personality fits fine imo. If he was refined Hannibal wouldn't dislike him as much...those looks when he laid on the couch and that death stare when he left his jacket :lol:

I almost forgot that the season began with the Crawford & hannibal knife fight

I was getting concerned with the will is killer angle until the fake out happened. :lol:

They even broke out the Philip Seymour Hoffman flaming wheelchair this episode :lol:

They must really have some departures from the cannon planned down the line if they're using up ALL the nods to the movies/books now

so I'm guessing hannibal gets exposed next episode and mason rips his face off. the fight goes down with Crawford on the finale and hannibal escapes. He's on the run all next season and we find out who's head is in the jar from that storage garage. Leading to the red dragon storyline....

I knew Freddie was alive. Just to quick and drastic a move for Will to kill her and then give piece of her to Hannibal to cook. Quite frankly if Hannibal is as smart as he appears or thinks he is he'd be wise to that. Plus since S3 is confirmed it's a given Hannibal lives on for one more season to play his games with these dudes :lol:

Gotta say Will almost had me leaning to him being full on crazy the way this ep flowed. Freaking out Bloom and then burning "Freddie's body" which didn't make sense while making sense (I fully understoood Hannibal's and Will's explanantion of the "killer's" motives). What's crazy to me is that Jack is on all of it :lol: Especially knowing Will killed wants to be an animal dude even if it was in self-defense.

As for Mason, :smh: SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! What kind of sick bastard you gotta be that you're so shook that there might be another heir than you cuz then your sister could bump you off that you stage a car accident for her and then pay off a bunch of surgeons to remove all her reproductive organs. I mean damn, terminate the pregnancy is one thing but son shut down the whole factory :x :smh: I couldn't believe it. That's some heinous ****.

What's ****** up to me from the previews is that it seems once again Will is on his own agenda to get somebody to kill Hannibal for him, if he convinces Mason to kill Hannibal. He steady doing that, might as well do it yourself even if you get caught or suspected. That shouldn't be a problem, he should know how to cover upa murder.

:wow: Wow...A lot of things unfolded in this ep.

Hannibal has exposed himself too much & the walls are starting to close in & he isn't aware of it except for the smelling the gunpowder on Alana's hand (damn that was ice cold).

That Chiva stag had me like :x :wow:

When Will had Mason over the pig pitt, I jumped out of my seat & was like Arnold in Predator, "C'mon, do itttttt!!!!!" :lol:

Will (& Jack) had this all planned out which I suspected. Will went Laurence Fishburne "Deep Cover" like I suspected... It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds...

Apparently Bryan Fuller is on Twitter dropping easter eggs like this episode's homage to David Cronenberg's Dead Ringers.

2 more episodes left my fellow Fannibals... That's apparently what we're called... :rolleyes

"Bones and all..."

So I guess all the cards are on the table!  I was waiting for Freddie to show up, but how did they fake the dental records?  Were the morgue techs in on it too?  And I wonder whose flesh they ate?  And of course... who that burning person was.  Also good to see Alana finally figuring stuff out.  Maybe a bit rushed (all in 1 episode), but at least she gets it now.  

sick.gif
 at Mason taking his sis's lady-parts out... that's some sick ish right there!  Then messing with that kid for the tear-martini!  

I thought there were gonna be 12 epis this season, but no... it's 13?!  2 more... yay!

For next week, maybe Will will lure Hannibal to Mason... only somehow, Hannibal will escape and take Mason's face in the process?  

They probably burned a corpse. Easy to fake dental records when you got living person's mouth to make a mold for a copy. Will most likely did not give Hannibal human flesh, just something rare or maybe it was flesh from a corpse.

To me that was the biggest leap I wasn't able to get behind. Will was disgusted when he found out Hannibal was eating ppl and serving it to others. For him to so easily cross that line in to cannibalism is crazy.

Last edited:
Okay. I buy Michael Pitt in the role now. :lol: :smh:

My girl from Ginger Snaps didn't deserve that. All this collateral damage cuz Will can't just pull the trigger. I feel like Jurassic Park when they decided eff the locked in presentation, we going off script. I hate that the show has to let Pitt live, because the books. And here's Alana falling into every pathetic female trope in the book.

I don't understand how there's an episode between this one and the finale. :lol:

GoT and Hannibal are 1a and 1b right now. :nthat:

Last edited:
I like this iteration of the Mason character.

His ruffled silliness is a nice contrast to Hannibal's serious and meticulous overtones.

Back
Top Bottom