Has anyone ever accepted a job offer that you were way under qualified for?

SUP, I just graduated with a Bachelor's in Accounting last month and I've been on the hunt ever since. I've been on over 15 interviews and had already received a job offer for a client resources position, but I took a big risk and turned it down to look for something more accounting focused.

Anyway, I've been applying for jobs left and right even if I don't quite meet the qualifications. One of my fears taking up a job in even an entry level accounting position is that I may not know how to do things and I make a fool of myself. I'm probably just over thinking again, but I like to be prepared.

My question is: has anyone ever accepted a job offer that you were way under qualified for? How did you tell your supervisor and colleagues that you have A LOT to work on? Discuss.

Unless you blatantly lied about your qualifications, i feel like they should have known what they did in hiring you. 

Plus, if its ENTRY level, then you're kinda expected to kinda get in where you fit in. 

On top of that, in these times everyone's goal is to get hired for a job they have no business working. Thats a dream scenario. I don't see anyone turning down something over nothing.

Last edited:
Unless you blatantly lied about your qualifications, i feel like they should have known what they did in hiring you. 

Plus, if its ENTRY level, then you're kinda expected to kinda get in where you fit in. 
This. OP I also have a degree in accounting, I just took a job in investments and started today. They know that I dont know much even though I've been reading up on some things in my free time. I'm being trained for 3 weeks or so. Be straight up with your employer and sell the fact that accounting is basically the building block of business so you should be able to pick up on things rather quickly. IMO you cant be under qualified for an entry level position, especially if you have a degree. Even with the stringent restrictions employers are placing on jobs nowadays (3 years experience for an Entry Level position? No sense.) you can still get jobs that aren't in your field if you prove that you can handle it.

Last edited:
You'll be fine. Employers know you're just a recent graduate and will train you when they first hire you. Every employer will have a different learning curve though so it just depends. Now, if you were applying for a mid level or upper level position, then yeah, they prolly gonna expect you to perform quickly.

Last edited:
real life...

most of the time they train you anyway and "show you the ropes," so dont be that nervous

You just put food on another's man plate by not taking that job, :smh: tough out here.....You know how many months of yambs you just lost right thurr.

Off topic but how big of a deal would it be to accept a job offer and then leave shortly after (say less than 3 months) because a better opportunity came a long?

Not gucci in the business world?

Off topic but how big of a deal would it be to accept a job offer and then leave shortly after (say less than 3 months) because a better opportunity came a long?

Not gucci in the business world?
Depends on what your responsibilities are and how important the job is. More often than not, its not a big deal, but don't get in that habit of snapping at every opportunity unless you're actually moving UP. If you're making lateral moves then its basically pointless. 

You don't want to be blacklisted for being unreliable NOR do you want to have to explain why you can't hold a steady job in future job interviews. You'll be seen as someone who is just trying to game employers and not dedicated to the job at hand.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. :nerd:

Aside from the fact that the job wasn't in the accounting field, I didn't want to lead the company on after they'd trained me for months just for me to quit as soon as I got a job I was more interested in. I could've easily held the job and got $$$ for a few weeks till I found the right one, but trying to schedule interviews while having an 8-5 with a 45 minute lunch break is near impossible.The supervisor thanked me for my honesty and told me that they'd contact me if another position opened up that I would be more interested in (obviously bs, but at the least no bridges were burnt).

Back
Top Bottom