Has shoes today become the sportcards of the 90s? vol. look who is camping out

This topic is even more relevant two years later. This is exactly what it is now however I don't see the bubble bursting like the card market did.

I never understand digs like this. Why is it assumed that an individual is socially awkward if they are passionate about sneakers?
You're right. Some are socially awkward and the others do it to impress men. Take a pic next time you see a group of dudes sleep I front of a shoe store and tell me which one they are.

Hannah Montana won :smh:

Good work in the guide

the apocalypse is near :lol:

Ha! Thanks!

re...the hype not going anywhere...I agree..Nike is very very good at controlling the supply and demand to ensure constant sellouts and lines around FootLocker at 8am every Saturday, but I do believe that at some point a good chunk of the people who "entered the sneaker game" in the past two years will wake up one morning and say, what's next? they'll dump all their kicks back on the resell market and there will be a correction back to somewhere between the state of the industry pre-Galaxy Foam and today. Resell prices on truly limited kicks, like Yeezys, will stay high. but i don't see GR Jordan's continuing to carry a 30-40% premium forever

This topic is even more relevant two years later. This is exactly what it is now however I don't see the bubble bursting like the card market did.

No....def not like the card market....because of the many fundamental differences, one the real important ones is that no one really understood the supply of the cards in the late 80s, early 90s. There were way more cards on the market then we realized. And, at the end of the day, a baseball card is 100% dictated by supply and demand. Sneakers are a physical item of clothing which has a utilitarian and intrinsic value...and it's perishable.

As I've gotten wiser I'm able to see shoe collecting for what it is; a damn waste. My hoa infrared 90's crumbling was the last straw. If and when I buy a pair I'm going to rock the #^%* outta em and throw them out. I'm throwing out most of my pre 08 pairs because it's only a matter of time and I'm not about that restoration life, rather just get something new.

Shoes fall apart, unfortunately. Not meant to last a lifetime if you plan ok wearing them. Slowly selling everything I don't plan on wearing.

You're right. Some are socially awkward and the others do it to impress men. Take a pic next time you see a group of dudes sleep I front of a shoe store and tell me which one they are.

Hannah Montana won :smh:
I just don't understand your perspective I guess. There are people who like sneakers who aren't socially awkward or trying to impress other dudes. Maybe it's a generational gap between you & I and I just can't relate to your way of seeing things.

I just don't understand your perspective I guess. There are people who like sneakers who aren't socially awkward or trying to impress other dudes. Maybe it's a generational gap between you & I and I just can't relate to your way of seeing things.

Maybe, I was born in 85. I'll be honest, I've been into shoes since I don't even know when, but seeing these new dudes take it to what it is now killed it for me. I'm at the point where I can appreciate the tech and look without having to own every pair. I'm also at the point where in in dress or dress casual clothes everyday and simply have no need athletic app real other than for the gym.

I get that things have changed and won't go back, the good thing is, so have I.

Maybe, I was born in 85. I'll be honest, I've been into shoes since I don't even know when, but seeing these new dudes take it to what it is now killed it for me. I'm at the point where I can appreciate the tech and look without having to own every pair. I'm also at the point where in in dress or dress casual clothes everyday and simply have no need athletic app real other than for the gym.

I get that things have changed and won't go back, the good thing is, so have I.
Born in 77 here so yeah I can see why our outlook varies. I will admit that I can't relate to a majority of the newer generation, but I also won't make a blanket assessment about an entire group either. I'm in a suit M-F so I'm with you on not wearing athletic apparel like I did when I was younger.

As soon as rappers/celebrities stop wearing Jordan's/Nike's all the time, it's over for these sneakers.

So the bubble will burst soon.

As soon as rappers/celebrities stop wearing Jordan's/Nike's all the time, it's over for these sneakers.

Hands down the dumbest post in this entire thread.
laugh.gif

Hands down the dumbest post in this entire thread. :lol:

Trust me, it'll be over. Rappers and celebs are the main reason Jordan's/Nike's are so popular right now. They'll soon move on to something else and it'll be over because most of the kids won't think "it's cool" anymore.

Trust me, it'll be over. Rappers and celebs are the main reason Jordan's/Nike's are so popular right now. They'll soon move on to something else and it'll be over because most of the kids won't think "it's cool" anymore.
What rappers wear has nothing to do with me buying kicks personally.

For me I started because:

1) I like the design of the shoes and I wanted to wear them. I still don't really understand why someone would become a pure collector with no intent to sell down the road. Thats just hoarding and the prices are not going to be much higher than right now.

2) I could finally afford some of the shoes mom wouldn't buy me growing up

3) My first camp out was for the Doernbecher 1 and I liked the camaraderie that used to be apart of getting exclusive shoes.

4) last but not least, I could buy 2 - 3 pairs and keep EVERYTHING I wanted for FREE. which made it a hobby with no real cost other than time

I can't speak for everyone else but I have enough shoes to last me probably 5-8 years. I'm not overly concerned with keeping them looking brand new, so I don't go buy the rereleases every 2 years of stuff I have. Everything I have gets beater status eventually. So they have to impress me before I even think about walking in a store, I'm not going to buy into pure "hype" anymore. Secondly, its too difficult to buy shoes now. Too many tricks and ins and connects involved to even want to deal with it. Third, I can't keep my pairs for free anymore because of the way certain power players in the resell market play the game. Instead of 100 pairs being divided amongst  50-80 people who are into sneaks (most of whom are wearing theirs) now its been 40 pairs at a store where one person obtains half the stock (all to resell). So I pretty much quit. There are some things I look out for on the horizon like the black/infra Jordan VI or the rumored pantone release but I have no intentions of even trying to get them in a store and I have a price I'm willing to pay. If not... oh well. 

When the younger crowd gets into their mid 20s their priorities should change. I suspect there will be a mass selling off for those years from the current crowd. Meanwhile Nike will continue to siphon off reseller profits 5-15 dollars at a time until most jays are 250 retail and then no one will be buying them except for those that are hyper limited.

What rappers wear has nothing to do with me buying kicks personally.
For me I started because:
1) I like the design of the shoes and I wanted to wear them. I still don't really understand why someone would become a pure collector with no intent to sell down the road. Thats just hoarding and the prices are not going to be much higher than right now.
2) I could finally afford some of the shoes mom wouldn't buy me growing up
3) My first camp out was for the Doernbecher 1 and I liked the camaraderie that used to be apart of getting exclusive shoes.
4) last but not least, I could buy 2 - 3 pairs and keep EVERYTHING I wanted for FREE. which made it a hobby with no real cost other than time

I can't speak for everyone else but I have enough shoes to last me probably 5-8 years. I'm not overly concerned with keeping them looking brand new, so I don't go buy the rereleases every 2 years of stuff I have. Everything I have gets beater status eventually. So they have to impress me before I even think about walking in a store, I'm not going to buy into pure "hype" anymore. Secondly, its too difficult to buy shoes now. Too many tricks and ins and connects involved to even want to deal with it. Third, I can't keep my pairs for free anymore because of the way certain power players in the resell market play the game. Instead of 100 pairs being divided amongst  50-80 people who are into sneaks (most of whom are wearing theirs) now its been 40 pairs at a store where one person obtains half the stock (all to resell). So I pretty much quit. There are some things I look out for on the horizon like the black/infra Jordan VI or the rumored pantone release but I have no intentions of even trying to get them in a store and I have a price I'm willing to pay. If not... oh well. 

When the younger crowd gets into their mid 20s their priorities should change. I suspect there will be a mass selling off for those years from the current crowd. Meanwhile Nike will continue to siphon off reseller profits 5-15 dollars at a time until most jays are 250 retail and then no one will be buying them except for those that are hyper limited.

The rapper comment up above pretty naive...Who has a higher Q score - LeBron or Wale? Kobe or Hulk Hogan? I don't even like rap, but I love sneakers. The basketball players are the true stars. In 10 years it will be Parker and Wiggins and McDermott (jk), but there is a never-ending supply of superstar NBA talent...

But I like your comment a lot: I suspect there will be a mass selling off for those years from the current crowd.

I think this is key

That will be very interesting when that happens because I agree it will definitely happen in some form. It already does happen as guys in their late thirties wake up and say, what the hell do i need 500 pairs of sneakers for? But currently there are way more high school and college kids "getting into the game" than older heads exiting. In 5-10 years, when these kids start working and start families and have less disposable income (proportionately) due to expenses like rent and food and kids, the real number to watch will be how many new kids Nike is pulling into the game. If the new generation is less than the old, we are basically a microcosm for the future of our national social security system, which is pretty interesting.

I wonder what cards would have been like in the early-mid 90s, when i was a kid, if the internet was around then (like it is today).  The majority of my trading was done with friends, at my local shops, or at card shows at the malls.  I couldn't imagine what it would have been like with the internet.

I still have all my cards, and i don't think i would ever sell them.  Even if the market did come back.  I feel the same way about my shoes, i would never sell them.  I was never into cards for money, and i'm not into sneakers for money.  

I think shoes are kind of like cards, but i don't know where all these kids are getting all that damn money.  I was hype to get a couple packs of cards as a kid, i would have never been able to get a new pair of jordans every weekend, or every month for that matter. 

I wonder what cards would have been like in the early-mid 90s, when i was a kid, if the internet was around then (like it is today).  The majority of my trading was done with friends, at my local shops, or at card shows at the malls.  I couldn't imagine what it would have been like with the internet.

I still have all my cards, and i don't think i would ever sell them.  Even if the market did come back.  I feel the same way about my shoes, i would never sell them.  I was never into cards for money, and i'm not into sneakers for money.  

I think shoes are kind of like cards, but i don't know where all these kids are getting all that damn money.  I was hype to get a couple packs of cards as a kid, i would have never been able to get a new pair of jordans every weekend, or every month for that matter. 

I could have literally written every word here - I agree 100%. How old are you? I'm 36. I'm guessing you're about the same.

I am a little bit younger, 30.  I think people around my age have more in common with people a couple of years older, rather than a couple of years younger.  When i was collecting cards i loved it, and its the same passion I've always had for sneakers.  But that feeling you get when you are just holding and looking at one of your favorite cards is pretty damn close to the feeling i get when I'm just looking at or holding one of my favorite pair of kicks.  Sneakers get the edge though, because i can wear them though. haha.

By the way, i follow you on twitter and you are doing great things man.  I'm a stat/data guy myself and its just awesome to see what you are doing. 

Agreed.... Most people who are into shoes right now are buying because it's just the cool thing right now. Some people will keep buying an abundance because they did before it became a fad. This whole debate reminds me of people thinking that the hype around air force ones wasn't going to go away. I knew it would though

Back
Top Bottom