Health Vegetarian diet 'raises risk of heart disease and cancer

You go to Dr. Nick Riviera?
How's that taste? I'm intrigued.

I'll let you know after I make it. I've had seitan a bunch of times, but it's been from a different brand and I usually eat it with rice or sweet potatoes. It's always been pretty good.

View media item 1974373
Been pretty much plant based since January. I went shopping today and picked these up for a dinner either tonight or tomorrow. There's 164 grams of protein between the black been noodles and seitan. I haven't really missed meat that much either.

Damn, dude, you went full hippie. I ain't ever seen black bean spaghetti before.

There's this weird stigma that if you don't eat meat or dairy you must only eat grass and tanbark. You can still pig out and eat unhealthy on a vegan diet and to be completely unbiased, sometimes that **** is as good or better than the "original" it's copying.

Here's some unhealthy vegan choices from a couple local spots by me in the bay area:

Burger Patties from The Butchers Son in Berkeley
View media item 1974416
Fried "Chicken" and Waffles from Hella Vegan Eats in Oakland
View media item 1974417
"Bacon Cheese Burger" from Hella Vegan Eats
View media item 1974418
"Cheese Burgers" from Next Level Burger in Bend, Oregon.
View media item 1974419
Philly "Cheese Steak" from Butchers Son in Berkeley
View media item 1974420
"Boneless" Buffalo Wings from Veggie Grill. I've fooled a bunch of people with these.
View media item 1974421
This concoction of Ground "Steak", Chili Garlic "Chicken", "Bacon", Pepper Jack "Cheese", Shredded Lettuce, Tomato, Pickled Jalapeño & Mayo.
View media item 1974422

The washington heights diet + you being black will probably kill you faster than vegetarians

That white vegan chick I'm dating from chelsea will outlive you by 30 years, easily. 

Mia? :nerd:

Haha, I dated this vegan chick that leaves in Chelsea and her dedication was on a different level.

Yea I've said it in other vegan threads, you really need to know what you're doing if you're going to go vegan or vegetarian. :lol:  All those processed fake meats will kill you as fast as a cheese burger. And soy is horrible for you. 

I think part of what makes vegans healthy, is that people who are vegan/vegetarian tend to be health conscious overall. Just a speculation. 

Health was the main reason I switched to a plant based diet. Before that I got away from gluten, then went full organic, then vegan. I was good for like a year and half. No soy or processed vegan crap. Then the last year I lost it and I started dining out on crap food at least 3 times a month.

I'm headed to Portland for 4/20 and an unhealthy vegan binge, then I'm parasite cleansing and going strictly back to Raw til 4 and no processed foods or gluten again.

Ive switched to eating a lot cleaner, less meat overall and non gluten other than a few beers now and then.

Ill skip meat for a whole week but can never go full vegetarian.

Last edited:
Word. But according to sckid you have no business in the hood if you got avocados in your crib :nerd:

:rofl:

This is Real talk nobody had avocados lol

Sad..Spanish folks eat aguacate da time.

Anton showin how oblivious he is to hispanic

Diets..there's fresh produce sold on every block damn near on da heights... :lol:

0 for 1000

And yeah, as long as churrasco exist, meat will remain on my plate (el conde on 175th & broadway got da best [emoji]127869[/emoji])

Last edited:
srs question...

so what if you eat a lot of meat and vegetables?

because my diet is literally meat and veggies almost every meal. i really love both. 

i eat very little sugar. less than 30g a day.

i eat a very low carb diet..my only carbs really come from veggies. 

Last edited:
srs question...

so what if you eat a lot of meat and vegetables?

because my diet is literally meat and veggies almost every meal. i really love both. 
i eat very little sugar. less than 30g a day.
i eat a very low carb diet..my only carbs really come from veggies. 

That's low key the paleo diet. If you start lifting you'll be a beast.

i do lift but im no beast.  i am lean though with a good amount of muscle mass.

so are there problems that occur with this paleo diet?

Can you explain? Not like natural unprocessed soy beans right?
Let me rephrase that, soy has some healthy properties in moderations but too much soy is horrible for you.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soybean-fertility-hormone-isoflavones-genistein/

https://authoritynutrition.com/is-soy-bad-for-you-or-good/

It has to do with the estrogenic effects of soy, eating that stuff everyday is not good for you. It can cause and exacerbate certain cancers (breast, thyroid), 
Oh ok yea I knew about the estrogenic effects, I definitely wouldn't want to depend on soy as a source of protein. 

As I understand it a balanced intake of carbohydrates is pretty essential to muscle recovery.  If you're goal is gain muscle, cutting out carbs is a mistake. 

I used to just eat 8-12oz of protein + a massive salad for dinner every night. Had to get off that. 

Last edited:
1 cup Black Beans

Fat: 0g
Sat Fat: 0g
Sodium: 10mg
Carbohydrates: 121g
Fiber: 29g
Sugar: 4g
Protein 42g

1 cup Lentils

Fat: 2g
Sat Fat: 0g
Sodium: 19mg
Carbohydrates: 110g
Fiber: 6g
Sugar: 10g
Protein: 54g

Absolutely.

The body was designed to run on carbs.

Low carb, high fat diets (paleo) eventually lead to heart disease, hyper tension, heart failure, osteoporosis etc.

Let me rephrase that, soy has some healthy properties in moderations but too much soy is horrible for you.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soybean-fertility-hormone-isoflavones-genistein/

https://authoritynutrition.com/is-soy-bad-for-you-or-good/

It has to do with the estrogenic effects of soy, eating that stuff everyday is not good for you. It can cause and exacerbate certain cancers (breast, thyroid), 

There's also more estrogen in meat and dairy than soy.

When I'm eating at my most optimal, I stay away from all 3.

Last edited:
I don't eat tofu and I try to stay away from soy in general, but I won't trip if there's a little bit of it in a sauce or a small amount in a dish.

That's a terribly specious headline.  I can't say I'm surprised, however.  

So, first of all (and as others have stated), you can find tons of research demonstrating links between meat consumption - especially red meat consumption - and heart disease, along with various forms of cancer.  

This, for example, is more of an "apples to apples" comparison:  http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/22/2/286.full  You're flogging this particular study and will likely ignore everything else.  That's your choice, but you should at least understand what, exactly, your chosen study suggests about vegetarian diets. 

Bear in mind, the study you've cited compares two very different population groups:  one in Pune, India, where "mostly vegetarian" diets have been common for generations, and one in Kansas, where residents presumably engage in what's become known as a "standard American diet."  

To suggest, from this, that any vegetarian or vegan anywhere in the world is "more likely" to develop cancer or heart disease would demonstrate an abject misunderstanding of the study and almost total ignorance to the concept of heredity. 

Note the very first sentence in your little news write up:  "Over generations, a vegetarian diet can result in genetic mutations which increase the risk of heart disease and cancer, scientists claim."

The inter-generational nature of this is key.  If you eat vegetables, it's not going to "mutate da genes."  Carrots are not radioactive spiders from a comic book.  If you were born in Pune, India, moved to Kansas, and decided to eat Arby's seven days a week, you're more likely to have the trait that these researchers claim facilitates the absorption of essential fatty acids from plants and may boost arachidonic acid production.  Your children would be more likely to have this trait, too.  

As the study's lead author put it, "Those whose ancestry derives from vegetarians are more likely to carry genetics that more rapidly metabolize plant fatty acids."  That should not be used interchangeably with "vegetarians."  No one with even a middle school comprehension of genetics would make this mistake.  

Diet is only relevant in that it influenced the conditions within which the trait became common.  

If you had this trait hundreds of years ago in Pune, India, where people mostly ate vegetarian diets, you might be more likely to survive and, thus, procreate.  In the same way, it's been theorized that a mutated copy of the gene that causes sickle cell anemia actually confers a survival advantage against malaria.  Those whose ancestry derives from environments with a high risk of malaria are more likely to have the "sickle cell trait" for the same basic reason that "those whose ancestry derives from vegetarians are more likely to carry genetics that more rapidly metabolize plant fatty acids."  The role of the environment is critical.  If you ignore that, you might say something colossally imbecilic like "Brown skin causes sickle cell anemia!"  

Here in the United States in 2016, the possession of this fatty acid absorption trait would have virtually no bearing whatsoever on whether or not a vegetarian or vegan manages to reproduce.  How, then, is such a mutation likely to propagate - and, more importantly, why would it be exclusive to vegetarians or vegans?  

As an aside, I'd be very curious to compare the actual rates of cancer and heart disease between Pune, India and Anywhere, Kansas.
damn meth back at it again with another ninjahood sonning

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom