Hollywood actors, CEOs charged in nationwide college admissions cheating scam

Hollywood actors, including Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, and a slew of chief executives are among 50 people charged in a nationwide college admissions cheating scam, according to court records unsealed in Boston Tuesday.

Those indicted allegedly paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said.
"Beginning in or about 2011, and continuing through the present, the defendants -- principally individuals whose high-school age children were applying to college -- conspired with others to use bribery and other forms of fraud to facilitate their children's admission to colleges and universities in the District of Massachusetts and elsewhere, including Yale University, Stanford University, the University of Texas, the University of Southern California, and the University of Southern California -- Los Angeles," the indictment said.
felicity-huffman-file-gty-ml-190312_hpEmbed_2x3_1600.jpg

In most cases the students did not know their admission was contingent on a bribe, officials said.

The 200 pages of charging documents in the case were unsealed in Boston federal court.

According to the charging papers, Huffman "made a purported charitable contribution of $15,000 ... to participate in the college entrance exam cheating scheme on behalf of her eldest daughter."

Huffman later made arrangements to pursue the scheme a second time, for her younger daughter, before deciding not to do so," the documents allege.

Federal agents secretly recorded telephone calls with Huffman and a cooperating witness, according to the court papers.

The documents say actress Lori Loughlin -- best known for her role as Aunt Becky on the ABC sitcom "Full House" -- and her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, "agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team -- despite the fact that they did not participate in crew -- thereby facilitating their admission to USC."

Federal agents obtained emails from Loughlin implicating her in the scam, according to the documents.

lori-loughlin-sh-ml-190312_hpEmbed_2x3_1600.jpg

Federal authorities ultimately had three cooperating witnesses to help them build their case.

One of the cooperating witnesses is a founder of the non-profit Key Worldwide Foundation based in California and another worked as the director of college exam prep at a prep school and sports academy in Bradenton, Florida, according to the court papers.

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

Wasn’t there a lawsuit by the Asian community
About not getting into these schools
Coulda sworn there’s ever a thread here about it

Is this getting covered because celebs are involved because I thought this is how it always went down?

Rich parents greasing palms to get their kids in schools they couldn't get into.

Lol they still gonna be there though
Putting folks on blast ain’t gonna do nothing

It could be a deterrent. FBI charged 44 people and they will all face serious backlash. Might have both administrators and rich wights thinking twice about doing the same in the future.

No one's saying this will completely nip the problem in the bud.

But saying "who cares" here is like saying "who cares about gun reform, people gonna kill each other anyways. Might as well do nothing." :stoneface:

Think about how every year we hear people complain about affirmative action is unfairly giving black kids a tiny leg up in the admissions process, all the while affluent white people are buying their way into schools and we act like it is just business as usual.
No nah I know
But I’m sure
Anyone who wants there kid to get a leg up
Would probably try to get the hook up if they could
I’m more mad that there’s more important ****
The fbi could be doing
Instead they doing this
Hell we coulda solved that for less tax payer dollars used for this investigation

I mean if they REALLY wanted to fix this.........free/wayyyyyy cheaper tuition.

Wow, these people didn't have the juice to get their kids in? Pay a huge bribe and then pay crazy tuition >D

No nah I know
But I’m sure
Anyone who wants there kid to get a leg up
Would probably try to get the hook up if they could
I’m more mad that there’s more important ****
The fbi could be doing
Instead they doing this
Hell we coulda solved that for less tax payer dollars used for this investigation
I am more than happy for my tax dollars to help expose white collar crime being committed by affluent people that exposes the hypocrisy of a criticism of a civil rights policy.

Especially since these acts distort the admissions process, leading to less spaces being available, which pissing off folk that do not get in, and as a result they always blame minority students. Then we get lawsuits that roll back policies meant to help minority, mainly black, students.

Last edited:
I have not heard of that kicked off this investigation but with most things in America willing to bet one affluent person's kid got burnt, they got pissed, so they want revenge.

The legacy finesse is all about tacitly giving the payoff. You can't be outchea being sloppy about it.

Back
Top Bottom