Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

4 days on the market and got an ALL CASH for full ask offer on my recent project.
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

And I just picked up another property and closing on it today. SD market is fiyahhhhh
My dude! 
pimp.gif

You can probably shop around - it's probably that based on your leverage they want additional liquid collateral.

We've opted to do an addition to our house to expand so we won't be doing another property for a while now. Ideally, would like to find a place in CA first to get our bearings with how to run it, structure it, etc. versus going out of state. So it gives us time to re-up our cash position, etc.

We are kinda doing the same as you. We were thinking about purchasing a 3rd property but decided to opt for a master suite instead.

Are you in NorCal? What city are you in? Would love to see the progress of your project. Do you mind if I ask how far along into the process you are? And if you're hiring GC? Architect? Designer?

Thanks

We are kinda doing the same as you. We were thinking about purchasing a 3rd property but decided to opt for a master suite instead.

Are you in NorCal? What city are you in? Would love to see the progress of your project. Do you mind if I ask how far along into the process you are? And if you're hiring GC? Architect? Designer?

Thanks

Yes Norcal. We hired a contractor who does the full suite of things (i.e. design, 3D design, permits, etc.).

We haven't signed the contract yet, we're in the design stage. This room will be a family room/great room that will also give us office features since that's the room we're converting.

Good idea on sharing the evolution, I will plan on doing that. We re-did our current living room too - remodeled a brick fire place to remove brick and add tile and make the floor flush. Ultimately safer for kids. Moved the electrical for the TV above the fireplace (was hung originally, but we hadn't done electrical) - figured we're going through all of this so why not. Mantel was cut too short for us, so we're having that re-done. Will be very excited to have this stage done before construction begins and our son's first bday. Not to mention just having a living room to chill in at night instead of our dining room table or desk in the office. :lol:

Yes Norcal. We hired a contractor who does the full suite of things (i.e. design, 3D design, permits, etc.).

We haven't signed the contract yet, we're in the design stage. This room will be a family room/great room that will also give us office features since that's the room we're converting.

Good idea on sharing the evolution, I will plan on doing that. We re-did our current living room too - remodeled a brick fire place to remove brick and add tile and make the floor flush. Ultimately safer for kids. Moved the electrical for the TV above the fireplace (was hung originally, but we hadn't done electrical) - figured we're going through all of this so why not. Mantel was cut too short for us, so we're having that re-done. Will be very excited to have this stage done before construction begins and our son's first bday. Not to mention just having a living room to chill in at night instead of our dining room table or desk in the office. :lol:

Can I ask what city you're in?

I was hoping to invest in a 3rd property but unfortunately we're busting at the seams at our current place. We need another bedroom and bathroom quick and so we're looking into a loan. The thing that sucks is we can totally afford the payments but since I've only been driving Uber for a year, I need 2 years of tax returns for my income to count.

Excited to see how yours goes!!

Can I ask what city you're in?

I was hoping to invest in a 3rd property but unfortunately we're busting at the seams at our current place. We need another bedroom and bathroom quick and so we're looking into a loan. The thing that sucks is we can totally afford the payments but since I've only been driving Uber for a year, I need 2 years of tax returns for my income to count.

Excited to see how yours goes!!

What were you doing before driving Uber? There might be some banks out there who will approve you for a loan.

Question about broken leases:

If the remainder of the lease amount has been sent to collections, but someone else has already moved into the apartment (meaning the landlord isn't at the entire loss anymore) how to you proceed with the collection agency? Writing statements that you don't owe that debt and request to remove collection from credit report?

If the remainder of the lease amount has been sent to collections, but someone else has already moved into the apartment (meaning the landlord isn't at the entire loss anymore) how to you proceed with the collection agency? Writing statements that you don't owe that debt and request to remove collection from credit report?

You will have to file a dispute with all 3 credit bureaus explaining the situation and showing proof that the debt/collection is paid off in full.

You will have to file a dispute with all 3 credit bureaus explaining the situation and showing proof that the debt/collection is paid off in full.
Thanks

Unfortunately, I was a SAHD. I had a side gig at night that paid me under the table.

I'm a Stay at home dad too! Take care of my 2 yr old son full time and do the real estate full time as well. It can crazy sometimes but I manage to make it work.

If you are interested in a loan, let me know and I can look into it for you. I was able to qualify a client who worked as a personal trainer for only 4-5 months and before that, was in school. Now he's a homeowner and got him a 30 yr fix at 4.25%.

Did a walkthru this morning and opened escrow this afternoon. Closing next Wednesday on my newest project in Imperial Beach. Unfortunately the owner still lives there and will take 30 days to move out but it all works out because I have to pull permits.

@ekREV98

It's inspiring to see you making moves, fam. I'm still on that down payment accumulation phase. That place already looks pretty nice from the outside. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it! 

@ekREV98

It's inspiring to see you making moves, fam. I'm still on that down payment accumulation phase. That place already looks pretty nice from the outside. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it! 

Thank you for the kind words! I get super excited when I get a new project cuz I want it to be finished like the next day. Lol. But I gotta take it a day at a time.

The owner took really good care of the home and it's huge. 3000 sq ft so there's a lot to do. The exterior was painted within the last 4-5 years so my plan is just to keep the color but paint the trim a white/light color to make it pop and we definitely need to do a new roof. The interior is just dated so it's a full remodel inside, knock a wall or 2 down to open up the kitchen/living room, and we are going to add a 4th bedroom to get the asking price we want.

Anyone have home & car insurance from a small insurance company ? What are the pros & cons of going with a small insurance company vs. geico, liberty mutual, allstate, etc ?

Anyone have home & car insurance from a small insurance company ? What are the pros & cons of going with a small insurance company vs. geico, liberty mutual, allstate, etc ?
An insurance company is only as good as their ability to put out on the policy if something goes wrong. So as long as they're well capitalized it shouldn't be a problem if you are getting competitive terms.

An insurance company is only as good as their ability to put out on the policy if something goes wrong. So as long as they're well capitalized it shouldn't be a problem if you are getting competitive terms.

They were a lot cheaper so that had me a little worried. They were charging me a little less than $1200 compared to $1600-2100 from the big name companies. I did some research and Nationwide bought them back in 2012 so that made me feel better about them. The company is called Harleysville.

They were a lot cheaper so that had me a little worried. They were charging me a little less than $1200 compared to $1600-2100 from the big name companies. I did some research and Nationwide bought them back in 2012 so that made me feel better about them. The company is called Harleysville.

If you can get USAA I would do a quote with them. When I was shopping rates they couldn't be beaten. My home insurance is like $530/year.

What a headache buying this house has been. :smh:

We ran into a snag about the flood insurance. The sellers have a policy in place that they can transfer to us that will last until February. The insurance company won't give them a refund so they're going to lose that money anyway. We had a contingency in the contract that they couldn't get a tenant upstairs without our approval. They sent us numerous tenants and interviewed one of them but she ended up lying about how much money she made. The other tenants weren't worth interviewing someone had $25K in debt and another had a bankruptcy on their credit report. Now they're being spiteful and don't want to transfer the policy anymore since they were stuck with the mortgage payment without a tenant. The worse thing is they did this 2-3 weeks ago and didn't say a word to anyone. I called last Friday and I found out through the insurance company that they didn't want to transfer the policy anymore.

They also seem to be toying with my lawyer. In August we made it seem like we couldn't afford the flood insurance (We didn't find out the house was in a mandatory flood zone until after we were in contract) and we have their agreement to transfer the policy in writing. Emails went out on 9/6 to everyone to schedule a closing date and the sellers lawyer didn't respond to any emails or messages for EIGHT days. They went back and forth to schedule closing last week and we couldn't get it done. Now this week the sellers informed us they can't close until Oct 11th. We lose our rate lock on Monday. The sellers were looking to move ASAP since day 1. They even pressured us about closing in late August. Do you think they let anyone know they didn't want to move ASAP anymore ? Nope.

Now we're hoping to close next Friday but we'd have to move to the upstairs unit for 10 days. We have to move out of our rental by the end of the month.

Last edited:
Have you considered living out of a hotel for those 10 days if living in the other unit will be a issue?

We found out today the sellers really hate us because of the loss of rental income. They lost the house they were trying to buy in Florida so they didn't want to sell anymore. They've been stalling this whole time and now we have to wait another three weeks to move in. :stoneface:

We found out today the sellers really hate us because of the loss of rental income. They lost the house they were trying to buy in Florida so they didn't want to sell anymore. They've been stalling this whole time and now we have to wait another three weeks to move in. :stoneface:

Damn man headache after headache smh. I feel for you

Back
Top Bottom