Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

50k is enough to work with in Houston. But you should clearly define your investment goals and expectations.  Also, try and have a target area where you want to invest in. Do you plan on self managing the properties yourself?  Financing options?

Make sure you are conservative with the numbers when doing your due diligence on the property. And most importantly educate yourself first (biggerpockets).

I plan to self management. I am not looking for a flip, more so multiple rental property that can gross me steady income. I'll look into bigger pockets

really? I am refinancing through Quicken right now and its a NIGHTMARE. Every time they call me they end up increasing the amount of money I have to bring to closing or the payment, even the rate went up a half of a percent since I started working with Mike Barakat. I'm tempted to just tell them **** it but I don't think I can.

Why are you having to bring money to closing? Lack of equity?

Im sure you can cancel anytime. Even when you sign your final loan docs, there's a 3 day rescission.

The only thing you'll lose is if you paid for the appraisal.

Dufus *** appraiser they sent out appraised it for less than anticipated.

Dufus *** appraiser they sent out appraised it for less than anticipated.

That sucks. Same thing happened to a listing my business partner had in escrow. Appraisal came in wayyyyyy too low and killed the deal. We sold one of our projects within a mile of the listing and that appraised for full ask no problem. SMFH at these rookie appraisers.

Haha thanks! We actually just signed today, price is about 500k with options. Delivery date is late December and we can't wait! The metro will be built a mile away by 2019. Hoping to make some gains!! Pictures are from the model home

congrats fam! i saw your posts on IG. its such a big accomplishment to purchase a home so i had to reach out and give mad props. esp in the $500K range, thats not chump change! very exciting times!

Assuming this is long term home or are you gonna jump ship as soon as you see gains?

damn big baller alert! building a custom home from the ground up in the bay area?? sorry mr millionaire.

[emoji]128514[/emoji] I wish! I'm just trying to add bedroom and bathroom in my downstairs. I need to lower my foundation to get more ceiling height. Been told I need to talk to a architect and an engineer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction if I want to start investing in real estate? I'm looking to make money buying and selling.

congrats fam! i saw your posts on IG. its such a big accomplishment to purchase a home so i had to reach out and give mad props. esp in the $500K range, thats not chump change! very exciting times!

Assuming this is long term home or are you gonna jump ship as soon as you see gains?
Thanks man, I appreciate it! Your new house is insane, congrads on that brother!

My plan is rent it out once I buy an other property. That should be a while though lol. 

Thanks for the bigger pockets site. Definitely some useful info, including some intro's to modeling.

Finally closed escrow on my last project. Here is the before and after pics. Purchase price was $488k and sold for $750k.

Got 3 projects going right now and pushing to get all 3 on the market next month. The 2 projects should've been done by now but there were tenants in place and it was such a headache to deal with. I don't think I could buy another house with a tenant in place. Smfh.

Finally closed escrow on my last project. Here is the before and after pics. Purchase price was $488k and sold for $750k.

Got 3 projects going right now and pushing to get all 3 on the market next month. The 2 projects should've been done by now but there were tenants in place and it was such a headache to deal with. I don't think I could buy another house with a tenant in place. Smfh.
I like that! Can you estimate how much you spent to renovate? I'm assuming your margins were still very high. That is amazing man, show me the way... lol

I like that! Can you estimate how much you spent to renovate? I'm assuming your margins were still very high. That is amazing man, show me the way... lol

Remodel costs was $149k. The property had foundation issues that we had to fix and due to the neighborhood, we used high end materials, appliances, etc... Minus 2.5% commissions, the profit was $93,275.

For people who live in expensive cities, have you guys thought about buying a duplex with a livable basement and just living in the basement while renting out the 2 units ?

My friend is thinking about doing this with her next property in DC.

I wish I would of thought about it when I was younger. The crib we just bought is perfectly set up for it. We have an outside entrance to the basement,laundry down there,access to the garage, and a big 700 sq foot open space in the back.

I'm telling a friend to do it since its just him & his girl. It's a lot harder to do once you start having kids.

I wish I would of thought about it when I was younger. The crib we just bought is perfectly set up for it. We have an outside entrance to the basement,laundry down there,access to the garage, and a big 700 sq foot open space in the back.

I'm telling a friend to do it since its just him & his girl. It's a lot harder to do once you start having kids.
Yeah house hacking is great. Looking to get a 3-4 unit in DC and live in one unit and rent out the others.

For people who live in expensive cities, have you guys thought about buying a duplex with a livable basement and just living in the basement while renting out the 2 units ?
This is how I started my real estate career last year (minus the basement). Got a 2bd/1ba, 2bd/1ba duplex, live in one , with a roommate. Rent out the other unit. Live almost for free, got my second rental property this year, shopping for another one now.

Back
Top Bottom