Hoops Shoe conundrum! Need suggestions

phen0m

Banned
Profile: 6'5 210, wide feet, quick guard.

Looking for some hoops shoes, like most of us.  But my feet seem to have very particular tastes.  I used to hoop exclusively in the Zoom Phenoms.. These are perfect for me.  The traction(PERFECT), the feel, everything.. except the achilles area destroys mine.. But I found a work around).  They had gotten a bit long in the tooth, and even via eBay.. I cant find this shoe in my size.  so I tried a number of other kicks:

Kobes 5 and 6s, They just dont work for my foot type, The traction isnt there, they dont feel sound on me.. I just dont play well in them
Half Cents: TERRIBLE, heavy, just not good for ball
Jordan 6's:  Good for about a week, then they got stretched, and the traction went super fast
Sharkleys:  Thought they would bs similar to the phenoms, but they were just too heavy

Any suggestions for me?  My most important criteria is traction.. even over looks I guess, plus I dont want to spend an astronomical amount, and not really crazy about the newer line of hoops shoes that everyone seems to rock.. hyperdunks, and lebrons etc.

Thanks!

Well the newer lines offer top-notch performance qualities, so you're probably best off with something like the crazy light 2s/ hyperdunks. Personally I'd recommend the adipower 2s, they're definitely worth the price at 79.99

I prefer old school zoom shoes myself.  Search on ebay for some good zoom shoes from late 90s to maybe mid 2000s. I'm a quick guard and I love the way zoom shoes feel from that era.

Do not get the crazy light 2s if you have a wide foot. They run VERY NARROW.
Fly Wade 2
Air Jordan 2012 Q or A
Lebron 9
Zoom Soldier 5

Do not get the crazy light 2s if you have a wide foot. They run VERY NARROW.
Fly Wade 2
Air Jordan 2012 Q or A
Lebron 9
Zoom Soldier 5
AdiPower Howard 2

Thank you for the insights! Anyone have any thoughts on the on-court performance(traction mainly) of these shoes: Nike Zoom Rookie, Huarache 09, Hyperfuse Lows/Mids, Air Go LWP's?

Also, has anyone had the heart to ball in Concords? I have a pair that I can get for a good price. I dont rock J's anymore, but I would hoop in them if they score well in that area.

Originally Posted by Al Bundy5

I prefer old school zoom shoes myself.  Search on ebay for some good zoom shoes from late 90s to maybe mid 2000s. I'm a quick guard and I love the way zoom shoes feel from that era.

where do 2k3's rank on your list?

For those who care.  I think im going with the Nike Huarache BBALL 2012, in either the mesh toe box or the retro.  Havent decided which yet.  The lockdown on the originals were second to none.

curious to see how those performed as I've read mostly negative reviews .. so if you do get the Huarache 2012s I'm curious to see your thoughts on how they perform

Originally Posted by mr childs

where do 2k3's rank on your list?
I never played in them so I can't comment on them

Originally Posted by Foam shox

curious to see how those performed as I've read mostly negative reviews .. so if you do get the Huarache 2012s I'm curious to see your thoughts on how they perform

Lol.. when gathering info, I came across waaay too many bad reviews on the traction.. I couldnt do it.  Now im entertaining the Hyperize, but again.. I hear badthings.  So I ahvent purchased anything as of yet

If you can find some Hyperdunk 2010s I think you'd be really pleased. Great traction, zoom tech, and great for all sizes. At least this was my experience with them...

Originally Posted by Sk33terMcG33

If you can find some Hyperdunk 2010s I think you'd be really pleased. Great traction, zoom tech, and great for all sizes. At least this was my experience with them...
Cool, I think im going to cop the Hyperize 2010s then.  Comparisons put them slightly ahead in certain areas, and I think they area more aesthetically pleasing.  Thanks Skeeter!

what are some others that have full length zoom?...

Originally Posted by mr childs

what are some others that have full length zoom?...
jordan 2010s had full length zoom and acttually had it double stacked in the heel, you can snag these cheap too

Originally Posted by Sk33terMcG33

I second the Hyperdunk 2010. I love the Kobe V's, and to me they are the same shoe, but hightop and with better traction. I still give the Kobe the edge because I rather the lowtop, got accustomed to them. But Hyperdunk 2010 is awesome.
I've been balling in my Concords recently, nothing spectacular, but it feels good to beat a pair up for some reason. Maybe because I've held them in such high regard all these years lol. But I was pleasantly surprised by their performance with a pair of Elite socks.

Hyperdunk 2010/2011 are excellent. If you want something more protective the LeBron 9 is a great shoe.

Just balled in the Hyperize 2010's, West version: 

Decently clean indoor court.  Quick impression..  Traction is slightly better than either Kobe models that I tried.. the 5 and 6s.. but nowhere near as good of a launch as the Zoom Phenoms.  The shoe is light, but feels like a boot on me for some reason.. maybe the newness.. but what absolutely kills the shoe, is the lack of lockdown.  I wear a 12, bought a 12, rocked two THICK socks.. doubled up an elite, and a dri-fit, yet the left shoe still slips slightly.. I dont lace em tight admittedly, but I usually dont lace my shoes at all.. so take that fwiw.  So far, i'd give the shoe a 6/10.. its just unbelievably unremarkable.. and I wish I hadn't paid what I paid, because it isnt worth over a 100 bucks imo.

I was thinking lebron 9s all the way.. but I just couldn't pull the trigger at the 200$ price most are going for.. but I really wish I had.

Ill probably update again as I move along.. also, I may break down and just cop the lebrons for a spin

Edit- But they do turn heads like a motha****a

Back
Top Bottom