Houston Texans Pre-Season 2014 - NT Bowl 2.5...Battle For Roster Spots

He's the best QB prospect in this draft. He has the tools to be a franchise QB for us.
I've been on the Teddy bandwagon since day 1 but the more I think about it I'm starting to sway over to Clowney more and more. Clowney is a FREAK, if he goes off at the combine then Texans gonna have a real tough decision. There hasn't been a DE prospect like this since Peppers and we all know what he went on to do.
I just have a slight feeling that Clowney could be a HUGE bust.

I know there was a lot going on with Clowney this year talking about his work ethic, dedication, and not playing hard against lower opponents and taking plays off.
I know some of this had to do with that LT that went after his knees so he most likely thought hes not gonna go as hard because it might ruin his draft position if he were to get hurt like his teammate Marcus the year before. I can understand where hes coming from in that sense but im still 50/50 on em because of some of these concerns.
We honesltly don't know if hes going to go hard every game, if we get him I can only hope that he has the desiree to be great.
Him and Watt would be :x :x  Finally someone who would be able to beat his man one on one because JJ gets doubled and tripled all game long.  Add in Cush and the front 7 would be nice :pimp: :pimp:  some ILB additions

If we go this route we snag a QB round 2-3 most likely and he battles it out with Case in the offseason.

I know mcnair hinted at wanting to talk to Lovie Smith. Don't really know how to feel about that. Who would yall like at HC? and possibly OC and DC.
I don't see Wade being here next year

So you've been on Bridgewater since day 1 and say he has all the tools to be a franchises QB, but fail to elaborate on what actually makes him good.

With the skins loss this Shanahan rumor is heating up. Why the hell would the Texans even consider Shanahan?! You just fired his protege

I'll be heated if that becomes true. If you're not getting Lovie Smith, you need a full restart, not some complacency move. Makes me sick even thinking about it

I'll be heated if that becomes true. If you're not getting Lovie Smith, you need a full restart, not some complacency move. Makes me sick even thinking about it

I may be the only one but I'm not a big Lovie fan; it always seemed like his teams should have been better than they were. Given the choice though I'd take him over Shanahan ANY day.

no lovie smith for me. i don't want retread coaches. i want someone new.

ray horton
bill obrien
david shaw

I may be the only one but I'm not a big Lovie fan; it always seemed like his teams should have been better than they were. Given the choice though I'd take him over Shanahan ANY day.

give lovie a good offensive coordinator and this texans team will be super bowl contenders (if you guys find a QB of course :lol:)

Last edited:
Some doofus mentioned Mike Munchak being a Texans coaching candidate. They asked him why should the Texans consider him, and the guy said "Because he's a former Oiler". They said if that was his best reason, he should hang up the phone.

We know Wade is interim coach right now, and apparently that also means Dennison is calling all the offensive plays...through Karl Dorrell and Dan Hammerschmidt. That shows how much confidence they have in Dennison. If that's any indication of the earlier part of the season....aiight Texans.

HOUSTON -- Vance Joseph's playing career wasn't long, but it gave him an important tool for the next phase of his football life.

He played offense at the University of Colorado, but when Joseph went to the NFL as an undrafted free agent, he turned into a defensive back. There he learned how fast the game can go on the back end, and how simple explanations helped him more than complex ones.

That's a lesson Joseph uses still.

"He’s a former player so we see things in the same way," cornerback Brice McCain said. "The way he explains things is very clear. If you don’t get it the first time, he’ll go back over and make sure you get it before you go on the field. Every coverage. He explains why we’re doing it. Technique. Why they’re doing it."

Seven years after the last season in which he played, Joseph is taking over play-calling duties for the Houston Texans' defense. This will be the first time Joseph has called plays in his eight seasons as an NFL assistant.

"It’s special and I’m honored by it," Joseph said. "It’s going to be good. I’m excited about it, (interim head coach) Wade (Phillips) is excited about it, the players are excited about it. It’s time to win a football game. That’s what it’s about -- winning."

Joseph didn't know exactly how excited some of his defensive backs were until I told him about it. He said he was honored to hear it. He didn't realize that many of them see a head coaching position in his future, and respect him enough that they're rooting for it.

Part of the reason for that is the work he's done individually with each player. Nowhere is it more visible than with starting cornerback Kareem Jackson, who struggled through his rookie season in 2010, the year before Joseph became his position coach.

"He’s helped me progress my game tremendously, technique-wise, recognizing splits, formations, the whole nine," Jackson said. " ... The way he explains things, he’s a very technical about things as far as going in depth with it (and) making sure that come Sunday, we definitely know what we’re going to see. The only thing we have to is just react and just play ball. He’s definitely is one of those guys that can progress into a DC or a head coach."

As he progresses, that individual teaching he's so good at won't be as big a part of his job. And Joseph knows that. This could be the first step to his growth toward being a defensive coordinator, but that will depend on how he adapts to the diversity of roles he'd have to take on for that.

Right now it's a gradual change.

"I’m in my meetings still," Joseph said. "I’m doing the intro meeting for the defense and that’s about it. After that I’m with the DBs. It’s normal for me outside of that intro meeting and outside of the coaches meeting. It’s the same role I had last week, a tiny bit more."

The Texans defensive coaches have worked together on the game plan this week. It'll be up to Joseph to know tendencies and make the decisions during the game.

He has a very specific goal in mind as the Texans travel to Indianapolis, where they have never won a game.

"I want to honor Kubiak by winning there," Joseph said. "That’s my goal this weekend."

Schaub is starting on Sunday. Keenum has a torn ligament in his thumb. I've course I've been wanting wins for weeks now, but whatever. Ben Tate will also be out. Cleanup on Kirby Drive.

It's crazy how easy it is to come by tickets for free now. Everybody and their momma is calling to give me their tickets.

#EASYPASS

Gotta be up at 7 for tailgating festivities -_-. It is so much more enjoyable when the team is good. The only thing i'm rooting for tomorrow is a Matt Schaub pick-6. 

#PopIt4...Peyton?? Lol

I've said before that I'll never cheer for my team to lose, but after 2-8 I've grown to accept what losses would do for us. I just wanna see how guys perform now, specifically on here bubble guys. Wholesale changes will continue, thankfully.

I know there's one more game next week, but this is a fitting end to a miserable season, having a record set on you. This team deserves to be pummeled and finished off by the Titans.

With Christmas around the corner :smokin

New Staff
New QB
Number 1 pick

The gifts keep on rollin :smokin

Don't get happy yet...word on the street is that Shanahan is definitely on the radar. I don't like Lovie but Shanahan would be a disaster. Bob should really consider a top coordinator...if a former head coach was that great THEY'D STILL BE A HEAD COACH (except Gruden and Cowher)

The D has talent, don't need clowney more than a QB, but I have a feeling clowney will be the pick

The Texans could definitely blow this opportunity to be consistently good for a long time

thoughts on ken wisenhunt for head coach?

my ultimate goal is to trade the first overall pick for something else in the top 5 or 10, and add additional pick(s).

These coaching names
fall-down-stairs-o.gif

With a young QB ( hopefully )

Pete Carmichael ? :nerd:

The Sean Payton coaching tree :nerd:

Pep Hamilton ? :nerd:

A young strong armed QB with high accuracy and a pro style offense :nerd:

Not to mention we give Luck a 3rd new OC in 3 years :nerd:

On the defensive side

Ray Orton

Mike Zimmer

Matt Patricia ? :nerd:

What worried me is even though he's from the Hoodies coaching tree, dudes who tend to leave the Pats organization fail. :lol: :smh:

Blood in / blood out type deals :lol: :smh:

Dean Peas :nerd:

Yea the Hoodie coaching tree is miserable. Would rather just completely start fresh with the entire staff.

Speaking of the coaching staff, I have a cousin who had does a radio show, and he had Ed Reed on before he was released and from Reed's own mouth, basically confirmed everything I thought. He said Reed learned pretty quickly during the season that the Texans weren't going anywhere. The Texans basically wouldn't let him advise the younger DBs, and during halftime, "we were just going to play Texan football", further exposing that the staff never makes adjustments. So though Reed wasn't physically able to make any plays for Houston, the Texans did not once try to absorb any of Reed's knowledge to pass on to the secondary. That's a shame, and did the entire team and fans a disservice. Kub deserved to be fired, and Phillips, along with a bunch of these assistants need to be relieved of their jobs right after the Titans game.

What worried me is even though he's from the Hoodies coaching tree, dudes who tend to leave the Pats organization fail. :lol: :smh:

Blood in / blood out type deals :lol: :smh:

no brady = no success...and that applies to the defensive coaches too. he covers up A LOT of flaws

Last edited:
[quote name="D url="/t/326724/houston-texans-thread-13-vs-broncos-lord-peyton-with-6-tds-on-dec-22nd/1110#post_19415003"]
no brady = no success...and that applies to the defensive coaches too. he covers up A LOT of flaws[/quote]

True...but I think the dude from penn state would be better than Shanahan or Lovie.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom