Houston Texans Pre-Season 2014 - NT Bowl 2.5...Battle For Roster Spots

GAME DAY YA'LL :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: It's time to continue this playoff push and claim homefield advantage this time!

That's what I would say if we were in that position. Battle for the Bottom Part 2. Let's....get it????

i hope all the "Draft a QB" supporters got their eyes glued to ESPN to get a really good look at this potential first pick QB

i hope all the "Draft a QB" supporters got their eyes glued to ESPN to get a really good look at this potential first pick QB

it's OK y'all…buc em has blessed teddy as "nothing special"…so you've likely got the next great QB coming your way

Last edited:
Gotta trade back a couple picks, then use some of those extra picks to trade back up to get manziel/clowney/matthews/barr

Gotta trade back a couple picks, then use some of those extra picks to trade back up to get manziel/clowney/matthews/barr

I'm not sold on Manziel at all, I feel his receivers deserve more credit. I don't think some of those throws will do too good in the NFL.

So close yet so far eh Matt Schaub. For a couple drives you caught the jags off guard; then they realized who you were.

Anybody still down to pass on a QB

If y'all get the first pick I think you'd have to take Bridgewater considering the QB situation but...

Clowney
Watt
Cush
Mercilus

Would probably be the scariest pass rush of all time :x

If y'all get the first pick I think you'd have to take Bridgewater considering the QB situation but...

Clowney
Watt
Cush
Mercilus

Would probably be the scariest pass rush of all time :x

None of that would matter if coaching is the same.

@JayGlazer: Just heard from a Texans member who told me Coach Kubiak has informed coaches he has been let go

Looks like they want to see what Case has. I hope Wade is not the head coach.

McNair just said we have better team than Jville and we should have beat them and that was the last straw.

Last edited:
McNair sounded like he was so disgusted after those 2 JVille losses :lol: rightfully so.

I dont think there's a more fitting way for Kub (and Schaub) to finish their tenure here with a pick. Was a long time coming.

From NFL.com

What's next for Bob McNair and the Houston Texans?

It's hard to remember a time when Gary Kubiak was not the coach of the Houston Texans. The year was 2005. The quarterback was David Carr, the coach was Dom Capers and the leading rusher was Domanick Davis Williams.

This was a mercy firing. There was no way Kubiak was coming back for 2014, and owner Bob McNair no longer wanted to wait around to plan for next season. McNair said the coaching search already is underway. This is a good job for any interested coach. It's a well-run organization with some talented pieces. But there will be challenges for the new coach and some big questions facing the organization.

Does Wade Phillips have a future in Houston?

Phillips will take over as the team's interim coach for the next three weeks. McNair confirmed that Phillips will be interviewed as a head coaching candidate, but it's hard to imagine him getting the job.

That raises the question: Would Phillips be open to sticking around as defensive coordinator with the next coach? And would the next coach be open to the idea?

This Houston defensive roster was built around Phillips' 3-4 scheme with considerable success. Defensive end J.J. Watt has been the best defensive player in football under Phillips. Linebacker Brian Cushing fit well in the system and cornerback Johnathan Joseph is a great player when healthy. (Big if there.) Guys like Whitney Mercilus and Brooks Reed were drafted as 3-4 outside linebackers.

McNair called this Texans roster the most talented in team history. We disagree. It's thin in a lot of parts, and life will be tougher for the next coach if he has to overhaul schemes on both sides of the ball. Speaking of ...

Do offensive pieces fit without Kubiak?

Kubiak, who learned under Mike Shanahan, has a very specific skill set he looks for in offensive linemen, running backs and quarterbacks. The next coach won't see things the same way.

Left tackle Duane Brown should excel in any system, but the rest of the offensive line might not be as effective in another scheme. Running back Arian Foster figures to stick around because of his talent and contract.

Does Case Keenum have a chance?

McNair indicated that Keenum will start at quarterback for the rest of the season. Matt Schaub will be cut after the season, and it's hard to imagine Keenum being taken seriously as a starter in the future. Keenum has limitations as a passer and fits Kubiak's system well. He could be in the mix to be a backup next season, but the Texans probably are starting from scratch at quarterback.

And they have a great chance to take Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater with the No. 1 overall draft pick.

Will GM Rick Smith pick the next coach?

It sure looks that way. Smith was at the podium to announce Kubiak's firing. McNair constantly talked about what a "talented" roster the Texans have. It looks like Smith is sticking around, and will pick his head coach. He was made general manager in 2006, the same year Kubiak was hired.

So what coaches could get a look?

McNair indicated he wanted a coach with previous NFL coaching experience. That seems to rule out college candidates like Baylor's Art Briles or Texas A&M's Kevin Sumlin. McNair admitted that former Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith will be a candidate.

McNair said that firing Kubiak gives the Texans an edge on starting the hiring process. The Texans don't see this as a rebuilding project, but they have a lot of work to do. Don't assume that this squad is the 2014 version of the Kansas City Chiefs.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" debates the Seahawks' Super Bowl chances and asks "Who do you trust?" as the playoffs approach.

Why is everyone so sold on Bridgewater?
He's the best QB prospect in this draft. He has the tools to be a franchise QB for us.

I've been on the Teddy bandwagon since day 1 but the more I think about it I'm starting to sway over to Clowney more and more. Clowney is a FREAK, if he goes off at the combine then Texans gonna have a real tough decision. There hasn't been a DE prospect like this since Peppers and we all know what he went on to do.

I just have a slight feeling that Clowney could be a HUGE bust.

I know there was a lot going on with Clowney this year talking about his work ethic, dedication, and not playing hard against lower opponents and taking plays off.

I know some of this had to do with that LT that went after his knees so he most likely thought hes not gonna go as hard because it might ruin his draft position if he were to get hurt like his teammate Marcus the year before. I can understand where hes coming from in that sense but im still 50/50 on em because of some of these concerns.

We honesltly don't know if hes going to go hard every game, if we get him I can only hope that he has the desiree to be great.

Him and Watt would be
sick.gif
sick.gif
 Finally someone who would be able to beat his man one on one because JJ gets doubled and tripled all game long.  Add in Cush and the front 7 would be nice
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 some ILB additions

If we go this route we snag a QB round 2-3 most likely and he battles it out with Case in the offseason.

I know mcnair hinted at wanting to talk to Lovie Smith. Don't really know how to feel about that. Who would yall like at HC? and possibly OC and DC.

I don't see Wade being here next year

Back
Top Bottom