Houston Texans Pre-Season 2015 - Hoyer's The Starter....By GAWD KING!!!

Houston Texans Rumors: Cecil Shorts, Jaelen Strong Battle to Start with DeAndre Hopkins for Ryan Mallett, Brian Hoyer as Alfred Blue Replaces Arian Foster

Jaelen Strong
Houston Texans wide receiver Jaelen Strong runs drills in team practice."
While the focus might be on the run game of the Houston Texans, the wide receiver group is looking like it could be the team's biggest strength. Houston made headlines when they released Andre Johnson in free agency after being the leading franchise receiver since his arrival. The Texans have had no problems replacing his production on the field as Cecil Shorts and Jaelen Strong could be critical additions to Houston this season.

DeAndre Hopkins is the undisputed No.1 receiver now in Houston, but the battle is on to be the No.2 guy. Cecil Shorts was signed in free agency while Jaelen Strong came in through the draft. Both players have excelled to this point in the year, catching touchdown passes in their preseason debut. Shorts put up a nice 58-yard touchdown catch while Strong added a 10-yard reception from third-string quarterback Tom Savage. Strong admitted that it felt good to get on the field and shake out some of the NFL debut nerves.

"It felt real good, just got to keep on tapping that rock every day, getting better and better," Strong said, via the Houston Chronicle. "It just built my confidence just a little. He just threw it to a spot and I just made the play. He made a great throw and I just caught it. I get nervous before every game, but that's just how I've always been. The atmosphere was definitely something different. It's just a blessing and a dream come true."

While Strong is expected to be an impact player for the Texans, it will likely be Shorts that gets the nod for the starting job. According to the veteran, the Texans offense is like wide receiver heaven even with the ongoing quarterback battle. After the injury to Arian Foster, Houston might opt to air the ball out more and Shorts is aiming to take advantage of it.

The wide receiver group will be critical to the quarterback rotation. With Alfred Blue now heading up the run game, the receivers will be looked at to bail out Ryan Mallett or Brian Hoyer. According to head coach Bill O'Brien, there is no timetable to name a starting quarterback as both players have shown good and bad things in training camp. Hoyer started in the first preseason game against the 49ers while Mallett will get the nod against the Denver Broncos. This will be the former Patriots' shot to distinguish himself as the best option.

"I don't know when that announcement will be made," O'Brien said, via John McClain of the Houston Chronicle . "Everything that we do here, every decision we make, is in the best interest of the team. Certainly, we know that's an important position. We know that the fans want to know. We know that you [media] want to know. We know that you guys are trying to do your jobs. When we decide on who that guy is, we'll make sure we tell everybody and move on."

Last edited:
Texans re-signs safety Quintin Demps and DE Fili Moala. Not that familiar with Moala other than knowing he played for the Colts for awhile. Demps was pretty good while he was here, but got better when he left (of course). He can bring something to the kicking game too, he did really well in KC. Didn't pay attention enough to the Giants to know what he did there.

Last edited:
Texans re-signs safety Quintin Demps and DE Fili Moala. Not that familiar with Moala other than knowing he played for the Colts for awhile. Demps was pretty good while he was hear, but got better when he left (of course). He can bring something to the kicking game too, he did really well in KC. Didn't pay attention enough to the Giants to know what he did there.
roll.gif

From the Houston Chronicle - 5 Key Players To Watch During The Texans/Broncos

WR Keith Mumphery
The fifth-round pick from Michigan State had one catch for 17 yards and one punt return for 15 in last week's victory over San Francisco. He has been impressive from the moment he stepped on the practice field.

WR Chandler Worthy
The undrafted free agent from Troy is undersized at 5-9, 173, but he averaged 17 yards on two punt returns and 25 yards on two kickoff returns in the exhibition opener. The Texans are desperate to find a legit return man.

CB Charles James
After all the attention he got in the second episode of "Hard Knocks," it's going to be fun watching him play off the bench. He has impressed the coaches in the offseason program, camp and now preseason.

OLB Kourtnei Brown
He came off the bench to record two sacks against San Francisco. The defense needs depth at his position. Getting to the quarterback is essential for players good enough to make the 53-man roster.

RB Kenny Hilliard
The seventh-round pick had a team-high 13 carries for 39 yards, including a 12-yard run against San Francisco. If he is going to make the team, he has to produce in short-yardage and goal-line situations.

This offense is eating me alive. Besides Osweiler's td, both offenses have been pretty tragic. Our d would have to have no room for error just to stay in games at this rate.

Got back from the game awhile ago. Will go into more detail tomorrow, but I will say that Darryl Morris singlehandedly ruined Kourtnei Brown's INT by playing such bad defense on multiple possessions late. A 3rd string QB took his lunch.

Ok, offensively, that was one of the most sluggish games I've ever watched, whether live or on tv. That is also a testament to how well the defenses played (mostly), but it was some overall bad offensive play. Mallett and Hoyer really didn't show anything at all. I'm not sure if it was bad o-line play, bad play calling, or both, but whatever it is, it needs to change. Can't completely rely on defense to carry to wins if you don't at least have competent QB play, and with Foster's injury, it highlights those issues even more.

There were a couple good things on offense though. Uzo, Lee, and Griffin all making nice catches, along with Damaris Johnson showing that good speed he has on that spinning catch we made. On that one 4th down played, the Broncos player could've been called for PI, but Uzo still had like two chances to make that catch and come down with it. I did like the play call, so won't harp on that too much.

I also would like to see Chris Polk get more time with the 1st time. He always good good and fresh, and just seems to have more speed than everybody else. I feel like we have a pretty deep WR core, but the ball has to be able to consistently get to them to really make it work.

As far as the defense, minus Bouye getting beat for that TD, the PI call that basically gave the Broncos a TD, and Morris's crappy play, the defense overall played well. They made stops when they had to, and seemed to play a bend but don't break defense (mistakes aside). Ankrah, Kourtnei Brown, and Pleasant to me were the ones noticeably all over the field. They should really make a jump in production and impact this season, and we're gonna need it too. Glad to have Demps back as well, he should really had depth with Swearinger being gone.

Also to add, Savage seemed to be the only QB here to try to push the ball down the field. Once again, I'm not sure if that's due to him, the line protecting him somewhat better, or the play-calling. Seems like he's really taking the initiative to improve. Somebody has to do SOMETHING :lol:

If we're gonna slug our way to 8-8 I rather just got 2-14 and finally take a QB.

That's what I've said.

There's no plus to this team winning 6 to 9 games and missing the playoffs :lol:

The worst case scenario for this team is going 8-8 and being stuck in QB purgatory, assuming all the QBs suck :lol:

Last edited:
^I feel like if we went 3-13 or something, this draft would conveniently have no QB to draft. I don't like losing though.

And Hoyer has been announced as the starter. I'm not sure whether Hoyer/Mallett need to play better, or the line. As Texans this preseason, I've seen more from Savage than the both of them :lol:

Also, our rookie Reshard Cliett will be placed on IR. He tore his ACL recently.

Last edited:
^I feel like if we went 3-13 or something, this draft would conveniently have no QB to draft. I don't like losing though.

And Hoyer has been announced as the starter. I'm not sure whether Hoyer/Mallett need to play better, or the line. As Texans this preseason, I've seen more from Savage than the both of them
laugh.gif

Also, our rookie Reshard Cliett will be placed on IR. He tore his ACL recently.
i'd rather go 8-8 or 9-7. the 2-14 year was ******* miserable.
I feel like we're just treading water until we get a legit QB 
mean.gif

Until we are Super Bowl contenders, I'm going to miserable as a fan whether we go 0-16 or 8-8.  

Hoyer is BOB's guy and he's the "safe" pick, so naming him the starter is not surprising at all 
sick.gif

rather tread water at 8-8 than 2-14. the jaguars have sucked forever, and they don't look like any more of contenders this year than in years past. intentionally sucking to hope to get a good QB doesn't sit too well with me. what if you strike out on the next guy you take? then you're stuck for _____ more years.

That is a major dilemma. I hate losing regardless, so I can't get down with intentionally tanking. But as Rockets fans in here, we did a lot of treading water before moved were made, so that stinks too :lol: here's to hoping for multiple INT returns, sack strip fumbles and great field position.

HOUSTON -- Texans coach Bill O'Brien said Wednesday that Jadeveon Clowney is on track to play in the team's season opener against the Kansas City Chiefs.

"I think he's doing well," O'Brien said. "I think we've got a good plan in place for him from a medical perspective ... little bit more every day. He wants to be in there more, which is a great sign. It means he's probably feeling pretty good. ... We'll just keep inching him forward to be able to go in that first game."

Clowney, a second-year linebacker, returned to practice Aug. 17 after a lengthy recovery from microfracture surgery.

"I'm having fun out there now," he said. "Hitting everybody. Talking junk. That's what I do. I love it."

Clowney will not play in the Texans' third preseason game Sunday against the New Orleans Saints as the team follows a plan for his return dictated by its medical staff.

"I'm rusty," Clowney said. "I'm just trying to get as many reps as I can. Tell coach to put me in as much as possible. They're not trying to rush me back. Working me in slowly. I'll still be trying to get as many reps as I can so I can get ready for the game."

The Texans are likely to ease Clowney back into the rotation with outside linebackers Whitney Mercilus and John Simon. Clowney, though, said he'll be ready for any situation the team asks of him.

Clowney initially injured his right knee during the Texans' 2014 season opener. He had arthroscopic knee surgery for a lateral meniscus tear the next day. That surgery didn't turn out to be enough.

Clowney attempted to play in three other regular-season games, but his knee was not reacting well due to articular cartilage damage. He then had microfracture surgery early in December.

"We're on a schedule right now," Clowney said. "We talk about the schedule and we're going to keep to that schedule."

I'd rather they suck and get a franchise QB( I understand the chances of that not being a sure thing) but another 8-8,7-9 season is ok. I'd like to see a situation like when Morey wasn't tanking but somehow managed to make the Rockets a contender. Unfortunately Rick Smith and this particular front office is at the helm so yeah...

Anyone else feel like BOB eventually has to draft a guy regardless of if he's a perfect fit? It seems like he's waiting for the perfect 6'4, 6'5 pocket passer and until then he's not going to risk his job by drafting a QB he doesn't fully believe in. With Hoyer and Mallett he can fall back on the fact that neither are really his guys and if they overachieve with them then kudos to him. But if they suck/ are average well it's expected because look at who they have at QB.

It's just frustrating to have had 2-3 years of competent QB play for an entire franchises history.

So did Mallett miss practice cause he's still salty about Hoyer being named the starter or what? :lol:

@McClain_on_NFL: Ryan Mallett missed practice cause he overslept but showed up later for meetings. Will b at practice Friday, business as usual.

^I was just hoping he didn't go on some type of binge like when he was at Arkansas. I had friends who knew him, and when he partied, he PARTIED :lol:

I'd rather they suck and get a franchise QB( I understand the chances of that not being a sure thing) but another 8-8,7-9 season is ok. I'd like to see a situation like when Morey wasn't tanking but somehow managed to make the Rockets a contender. Unfortunately Rick Smith and this particular front office is at the helm so yeah...

Anyone else feel like BOB eventually has to draft a guy regardless of if he's a perfect fit? It seems like he's waiting for the perfect 6'4, 6'5 pocket passer and until then he's not going to risk his job by drafting a QB he doesn't fully believe in. With Hoyer and Mallett he can fall back on the fact that neither are really his guys and if they overachieve with them then kudos to him. But if they suck/ are average well it's expected because look at who they have at QB.

It's just frustrating to have had 2-3 years of competent QB play for an entire franchises history.

I always see stuff about people wishing Morey (or obviously a guy like him) was the Texans GM, just to see what kind of deals would be made. Seems like it would be harder to do in football, but I'd still be interested.

I'm just talking about being competent and drafting well. Rick Smith's last few drafts have really hurt this franchise

Back
Top Bottom