Houston Texans Pre-Season 2015 - Hoyer's The Starter....By GAWD KING!!!

sure Morey had some "luck" acquiring Harden, but he looks to hit big often. He studies trends in the game, and looks for dynamic molds/strengths in players. He's forward thinking. He's just a pretty solid draft talent evaluator. That's what we're missing with the Texans.

We do solid on DL, but we miss pretty much everywhere else.

Our right side of the OL been trash for years and Derek Newton is still starting. Meanwhile, we drafting guys like Su'flao (or however you spell it?) in the 3rd (which iirc solidified us passing on opportunity for Teddy/Johnny)....and passing altogether this year on La'el Collins despite it being confirmed he was solely being questioned about a murder (wasnt an actual suspect). now Collins is getting starting talks as a rookie on a Pro Bowl laden OL in Dallas.

We never try to draft big corners and develop them. We take flyers on top talent guys that end up busts/underwhelming.

kinda ranting, but that's kinda what I do when a Houston team has at least one player with HOF potential talent. Football has the team reliance much more, but JJ is more or less a sideline to sideline lineman. Might be the most impactful defensive lineman we've ever seen play the game. You don't get the rare finds often, so you gotta chase greatness when you have them.

Rick/Bob seem to be lost on a solid plan for the future

Bill seems to have his stuff together though. I like dude and hopefully he can help reel it all in for the future/have a positive impact on our drafting

Last edited:
Our right side of the OL been trash for years and Derek Newton is still starting. Meanwhile, we drafting guys like Su'flao (or however you spell it?) in the 3rd (which iirc solidified us passing on opportunity for Teddy/Johnny)....and passing altogether this year on La'el Collins despite it being confirmed he was solely being questioned about a murder (wasnt an actual suspect). now Collins is getting starting talks as a rookie on a Pro Bowl laden OL in Dallas.

this really isn't a fair point against the texans considering everyone passed on him for the same reason.

yea, idk...i just didn't think that was an excuse. i saw a bunch of analyst, common folk, and everything in between speaking on it before the draft. seemed obvious you couldn't just let him go from top 15 to completely undrafted when you have a bunch of other actual "character issue" guys going to various teams in this draft.

but i found an article that detailed the situation a bit more. sounds like this agent made everybody pass on him if it wasn't in the top 3 rounds. is Jerry the only dude that could slick talk this guy? or did he know the Cowboys situation would be a great one and already identified someone he could potentially start over? i wonder.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/15/lael-collins-nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-murder-investigation

The Houston Texans have released safety Stevie Brown, reports ESPN's Tania Ganguli.

A source told Ganguli the Texans released Brown ahead of Houston's third preseason game so he has a chance to catch on with another team. Brown signed a one-year deal with the Texans in May.

Brown spent the last three seasons with the New York Giants, who have dealt with numerous issues at the safety position since his departure.

In three seasons in New York, Brown started 32 games, missing the 2013 season. In 2012, he had a career year, recording 76 tackles, two forced fumbles and eight interceptions.

Duane Brown out vs. Saints with hand injury

Duane Brown suffered a hand injury and did not practice on Friday, two days before the Texans face the Saints in preseason action.

“He’s going to miss some time here, but it’s basically day-to-day," head coach Bill O'Brien said Friday. "I wouldn’t put it in the serious category, but he will not play against New Orleans.”

The Texans starting left tackle attended practice but was on the sideline with a cast on his right hand. O’Brien did say Brown’s hand should heal on its own and he’s not expected to miss any regular season games.

Last edited:
As far as I know, it really doesn't stand for anything, it's just the name of the company (NRG Energy Inc) that purchased a lot of Reliant Energy's properties.

WHAT DOES NRG STAND FOR?
Energy = NRG 

roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

:rofl: :rofl:

i know Duane Brown didn't play today, but even before then, it's been so shaky. Foster seemed to mask the o-lines shortcomings with changes over the years. All 3 QBs threw touchdowns, but know we need to see if Hoyer can throw multiples :lol:. Liked what I saw out of the WR core. The QBs basically tossed the ball around, and so many people were able to get looks. The defense once again remained steady outside of that 45 yard TD run mostly. Minus the early flag, it's good to see Simon and Cushing all over the field. The DBs played pretty solid too, especially Kevin Johnson. Him, Morris (redeeming himself), and Rolle made plays. Covington and brown were really applying pressure too. Definitely good to see that, cause we're gonna need as many guys stepping up as we can.

That flag on the Charles James play :stoneface: :stoneface: :lol: Did hit the holes better than the other running backs. Seems like a roster spot is automatic for him, so I'm looking forward to him playing both sides of the ball.

watching Khalil Mack tonight keeps reminding me that we should have taken him 1st overall. He's been a beast so far for the Raiders

Last edited:
^I've seen some shirts at Academy that look similar to that, but they're not running shirts.

Houston Texans cut 13, defensive back remains hotly contested

Most significant move: In this early stage of roster trimming, the Houston Texans did not make any particularly surprising or momentous moves. It was a mild surprise that outside linebacker Jason Ankrah was released so soon. He was an undrafted rookie who spent time on the Texans' active roster last season. Receiver Alan Bonner's release signified yet another departure from that disastrous 2013 draft class. Bonner spent his first two seasons on injured reserve. Finally healthy for a training camp, the Texans saw enough of him to feel comfortable with releasing him.

Quessenberry to NFI: The Texans placed offensive lineman David Quessenberry on the non-football illness list. Quessenberry's return to the field will be dependent on the determination of his doctors and the Texans' medical staff. He's been at practices, and working with his teammates at times during training camp. Much of his current rehab work focuses on regaining his endurance after recovering from the cancer that impacted his lungs.

What’s next: Only one defensive back was removed from the roster -- safety Terrance Parks. That means those groups are still very hotly contested and Thursday's game will be a make-or-break game for several players in that group. Hard Knocks star Charles James will be among those looking to make it as a cornerback, as will Jumal Rolle and Darryl Morris. They'll be competing to join Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, A.J. Bouye and Kevin Johnson. At safety, Eddie Pleasant, Andre Hal and Quintin Demps are the top candidates to start. Pleasant appears to have taken a lead there. Corey Moore and Kurtis Drummond remain in the conversation to make the roster.

Texans cuts: T Aaron Adams, OLB Jason Ankrah, WR Jace Davis, WR Alan Bonner, P Will Johnson, WR Travis Labhart, DE Cam McLeod, G Cody White, OT Bryan Witzmann, DT Chris Neild, ILB Jeff Tarpinian. TE Anthony Denham, S Terrance Parks waived injured. LB Reshard Cliett to injured reserve. OL David Quessenberry to non-football illness.

Thanks! I will check there and take a screen shot of it if I see him in it tonight or scan through last episode...

^I've seen some shirts at Academy that look similar to that, but they're not running shirts.

Houston Texans cut 13, defensive back remains hotly contested

Most significant move: In this early stage of roster trimming, the Houston Texans did not make any particularly surprising or momentous moves. It was a mild surprise that outside linebacker Jason Ankrah was released so soon. He was an undrafted rookie who spent time on the Texans' active roster last season. Receiver Alan Bonner's release signified yet another departure from that disastrous 2013 draft class. Bonner spent his first two seasons on injured reserve. Finally healthy for a training camp, the Texans saw enough of him to feel comfortable with releasing him.

Quessenberry to NFI: The Texans placed offensive lineman David Quessenberry on the non-football illness list. Quessenberry's return to the field will be dependent on the determination of his doctors and the Texans' medical staff. He's been at practices, and working with his teammates at times during training camp. Much of his current rehab work focuses on regaining his endurance after recovering from the cancer that impacted his lungs.

What’s next: Only one defensive back was removed from the roster -- safety Terrance Parks. That means those groups are still very hotly contested and Thursday's game will be a make-or-break game for several players in that group. Hard Knocks star Charles James will be among those looking to make it as a cornerback, as will Jumal Rolle and Darryl Morris. They'll be competing to join Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, A.J. Bouye and Kevin Johnson. At safety, Eddie Pleasant, Andre Hal and Quintin Demps are the top candidates to start. Pleasant appears to have taken a lead there. Corey Moore and Kurtis Drummond remain in the conversation to make the roster.

Texans cuts: T Aaron Adams, OLB Jason Ankrah, WR Jace Davis, WR Alan Bonner, P Will Johnson,
WR Travis Labhart, DE Cam McLeod, G Cody White, OT Bryan Witzmann, DT Chris Neild, ILB Jeff Tarpinian. TE Anthony Denham, S Terrance Parks waived injured. LB Reshard Cliett to injured reserve. OL David Quessenberry to non-football illness.

Oh ****, i completely glossed over Tarpinian :stoneface: :stoneface: I liked him, especially paired with Simon

Man, I love Labhart :lol:

I don't think anyone has ever done more with less than him :lol:

Edit: @EricSan: Amazing how many people are looking at Travis Labhart's bio on our website right now.

I'll never forget him getting his first real playing time against Bama and just thinking oh my god this guy is going to get killed :lol:

Last edited:
That middle finger :rofl:

Khari Lee was traded to the Bears for a 6th round pick. Sucks he can't stick around, as everytime he got the ball, it was on a fantastic catch for a first down that was needed. It's early, but I just don't know if Griffin, C.J., or graham can do that, though I've seen it more from Graham than the other two.

Also, I know we're always referencing Rich Smith's late round picks, but my goodness, what an abysmal 2013 draft this turned out to be. In hindsight, it's like Kubiak knew he was gonna get fired that season, so he just said "**** it"
View media item 1697224

A massive struggle of both teams for a half, with Savage throwing a TD to Chris Polk, only for it to be terribly unraveled in 2 atrocious plays, 1 by the offense in a pick, and the second by the defense with four guys all whiffing tackles on a run play.

Back
Top Bottom