How come Paul Pierce gets no respect?

btk

I'm not sure as to why, but this guy is a solid defender, scores inside and out, clutch in 4th quarter, and been consistently doing it since he came into the L. So why?

Always had respect for dude since Kansas. It's rare for a player to stay with one team throughout their career and I was glad to see him get a ring after going through some hard times with the Celtics for most of his career.
Pierce has been so consistent throughout his whole career and besides being such a versatile scorer, he is also a great defender. Props to Pierce, I don't know about the majority but dude gets respect from me.

he doesn't have a very flashy game.
he spent most of his career on terrible teams.
he acts like a girl on the court.

real fans respect his game. It's his fake injuries and personality that people hate.

His nickname is "The Truth". That is enough respect for me.

However, I don't give him the respect he desires (that he is one of the best players in the league- see post 2008 finals interviews)

Pierce%2Bcrying.bmp

Well, he'll go down with his number in the rafters, name in the Hall of Fame, Finals MVP, and have at least one ring. A few more solid years in green and he has a good shot at cracking top 5 Celtics of all time. (Bird, Russ, Havlicek basically not catchable, but Cousy, McHale, Cowens, and Sam Jones can be caught, imo.) Winning another Finals MVP or even getting that second ring would go a long way for his place in Celtics history. If people don't respect him for that, then they are just allowing their hate to leak into their opinions...

Originally Posted by Shaq DIESEL 34

Analysts and people who know Basketball know how good he is. Laker Fanboyz and NTers don't.

Wrong not all Laker fans think he's trash PP has game dude just isn't flashy like VC of Mac so he gets overlooked

Whenever these threads used to come up like 'Who are your top 5 players in the league?', I used to throw Pierce's name in my list, and only a FEW would do the same (I think SHUGES was another one who used to give props on those kinds of lists).

Then he added this flopping, crying, acting portion of his game.

Shifted him straight from underrated to hated because of that.

that and..
Kobe+Bryant+defends+Paul+Pierce+who+tries+to+draw+a+foul.jpg

is why I could never "like" the guy.

He's clutch, a great shooter, etc. and I won't insult his talent or say he's a bum, however he utilizes flopping, crying, and makes the slightest bump seem like he is getting tazed.  He can play for sure, but he doesn't play the right way to me. And it goes beyond the superstar calls or soft league we play in, Pierce abuses that.

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

Analysts and people who know Basketball know how good he is. Laker Fanboyz and NTers don't.

Wrong not all Laker fans think he's trash PP has game dude just isn't flashy like VC of Mac so he gets overlooked

yup... just becuase we hate him don't mean we don't respect his game.  He's a very good player, makes shots anywhere, underrated defense...  I just think he's a punkass 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

He did use the pejorative term "Fanboyz" though, clearly differentiating level-headed Lakers fans from his intended target. Carry on.

He does get respect. I just think that before KG and Ray Allen came to Boston, they were a horrible team. So that just reflects badly on Pierce. However, I remember when they used to be pretty good back in the days when Pierce and Antoine Walker were the main guys. They were always up there with the Nets when Kidd, Martin, Jefferson and Kittles had their run.

Back
Top Bottom