How do you feel about the term "culture vulture"?

Well I'm not from 8 mile, so I can't speak to that, but did he not put people on?
Imma be real for a minute. Eminem did put his homies, d12 and Royce on. But everything else was for protection basically. Dude will hop on a trick trick track in a second because having trick trick in his corner basically excuses anybody from ever calling him out or doing anything to him. He was running around detroit this and that when in reality he not even from there. Nobody under the age of 40 in the city care about son and think he corny. Now the white people worship him as a God.

A bunch of ignorant *** rappers naming themselves after mobsters and having a weird fetish for mob movies doesn't exactly equate to "borrowing" Italian culture.

The "weird fetish" for mob movies is pretty much an admiration for dudes doing what they could to eat, as with many people in black neighborhoods. Dudes name themselves after black gangsters as well i.e. "Freeway", "Rick Ross", "50Cent". Furthermore, the movies and names were fictional.

Well I'm not from 8 mile, so I can't speak to that, but did he not put people on?
Imma be real for a minute. Eminem did put his homies, d12 and Royce on. But everything else was for protection basically. Dude will hop on a trick trick track in a second because having trick trick in his corner basically excuses anybody from ever calling him out or doing anything to him. He was running around detroit this and that when in reality he not even from there. Nobody under the age of 40 in the city care about son and think he corny. Now the white people worship him as a God.

Would it be considered giving Em a pass since Warren is a suburb of Detroit or is it the equivalent of claiming you're from Atlanta when really you're from College Park or Decatur?

A bunch of ignorant *** rappers naming themselves after mobsters and having a weird fetish for mob movies doesn't exactly equate to "borrowing" Italian culture.
That's exactly what t means 
laugh.gif

Like i said, i wouldn't consider it culture vulturing but it's something. 

The "weird fetish" for mob movies is pretty much an admiration for dudes doing what they could to eat, as with many people in black neighborhoods. Dudes name themselves after black gangsters as well i.e. "Freeway", "Rick Ross", "50Cent". Furthermore, the movies and names were fictional.
Would it be considered giving Em a pass since Warren is a suburb of Detroit or is it the equivalent of claiming you're from Atlanta when really you're from College Park or Decatur?
The difference is the mafia detests black people. Everyone knows about the famous line in The Godfather...and that's just one of the more notable examples. When you have an "admiration" for a group that thinks very little of you...there's something weird going on.

It's just different up here. It's a crime for saying u from somewhere u not. But in em defense Noone really cared because like said 8 mile is 1 big long *** road. If he would've said 7 mile, 6 mile etc he would've got his block knocked off. And em never paraded around the city after the fame, rightfully so.

That's exactly what t means 
laugh.gif

Like i said, i wouldn't consider it culture vulturing but it's something. 
We have to define what "something" is in that scenario. Because I'd argue that many of those people have VERY little knowledge of actual Italian culture. I could become a rapper and name myself Adof Hitler and tattoo a swastika on my face. That doesn't mean im assimilating into German culture. 

The difference is the mafia detests black people. Everyone knows about the famous line in The Godfather...and that's just one of the more notable examples. When you have an "admiration" for a group that thinks very little of you...there's something weird going on.

Yea, not the mafia but Italians in general, and if we're keepin it 100, which group doesn't hate black people, it was like the thing to hate somebody to fit in, even though many other white people not Italian, hated Italians, which pretty much birthed mobs if I'm not mistaken.

And I don't think it's an admiration for the group but more so the actions and how they carried themselves to get money. But it's deeper than that for black people and liking things about people that hate them. Could be a whole thread about it.

It's just different up here. It's a crime for saying u from somewhere u not. But in em defense Noone really cared because like said 8 mile is 1 big long *** road. If he would've said 7 mile, 6 mile etc he would've got his block knocked off. And em never paraded around the city after the fame, rightfully so.

Oh ok, got it. So it's like claiming to be from an NY Borough that you're really not from in terms of street rules.

It's hard to explain. Here it's not about gangs, what city u from its more so about neighborhoods. Him saying detroit didn't put a target on his back but him not being from there meant he doesn't get a pass. That's where trick trick, Obie etc come in at. Everyone used to love dude around the time 8 mile came out but the music got cornier and real detroit rappers started emerging. People on the outside that I talk to think son is a God here when in reality if ask anyone from Detroit (that's not white) who the king of rap from the city they will all say 1 name and it's not eminem.

It's hard to explain. Here it's not about gangs, what city u from its more so about neighborhoods. Him saying detroit didn't put a target on his back but him not being from there meant he doesn't get a pass. That's where trick trick, Obie etc come in at. Everyone used to love dude around the time 8 mile came out but the music got cornier and real detroit rappers started emerging. People on the outside that I talk to think son is a God here when in reality if ask anyone from Detroit (that's not white) who the king of rap from the city they will all say 1 name and it's not eminem.

Yea, I'm getting that jist. I'm not from there and I get the vibe that while Em may be cool, he aint THE guy in the D when it comes to rap. I know that Trick Trick is the gatekeeper up there. Where I'm from neighborhoods is a big deal as well, not so much as it was in the past but still important so I get it.

:rolleyes
Not even. I don't think he's a culture vulture, but if he was black dude wouldn't eem reach top 20 of most peoples lists. The last time I asked in an Em thread to post a few quotables, no one posted a single one; ****** just kept saying he was the best or one of the best with no substantial bars. **** is weird honestly.

Em slander? It's outrageous to lable him a vulture. He's done more the culture than a lot of the people that it's meant to represent. Cats acting like Em is Tommy Hilfiger's son.

And not even that, son is legitimately nice. Easily one of the best technical rappers there ever was, and illest freestyler. Em ain out here "freestyling" off phone like NTs god.
:smh:
No memorable bars, no quotables, somehow still considered one of the best. Don't think so brah. His music is a angsty suburb teen fodder. Good on him for outrapping Jay-Z as he was reaching his commercial zenith. :rolleyes

No memorable bars, no quotables, somehow still considered one of the best. Don't think so brah. His music is a angsty suburb teen fodder. Good on him for outrapping Jay-Z as he was reaching his commercial zenith. :rolleyes
Em may not be a forefather of Hip Hop but dude has quotables for days. I've always been more a Jay or Nas fan just because Em came off as goofy, but I always dig his more serious tracks. To add to that, he can rap circles around almost anyone in the rap game.

Last edited:
Not even. I don't think he's a culture vulture, but if he was black dude wouldn't eem reach top 20 of most peoples lists. The last time I asked in an Em thread to post a few quotables, no one posted a single one; ****** just kept saying he was the best or one of the best with no substantial bars. **** is weird honestly.

Em slander? It's outrageous to lable him a vulture. He's done more the culture than a lot of the people that it's meant to represent. Cats acting like Em is Tommy Hilfiger's son.

And not even that, son is legitimately nice. Easily one of the best technical rappers there ever was, and illest freestyler. Em ain out here "freestyling" off phone like NTs god.

LOL.

To each their own. "Till I collapse" w/50 cent is one of my most memorable songs and "8 mile" is top 10 for me.

No quotable or memorable lines? And all because some goofy NTers didn't provide any when you asked? :lol:

No quotable or memorable lines? And all because some goofy NTers didn't provide any when you asked? :lol:
Not because they didn't, it's because they can't. If he was worth a damn lyrically, I wouldn't have to ask, people would just be rattling them off whenever his name pops up, yet each and every time....nothing. Just 'well whatever he's one of the greats' but he really isn't though. Complex articles and facebook memes can't save him...that man is a fraud.

Last edited:
I had zero idea Em got hate like this. I'm not a big fan of him but even I don't agree with some of this :lol:

My mans main accolades are dissing Fred Durst and Vanilla Ice. This has got to stop.

I wouldn't say Eminem is a culture vulture, but dude has made some of the most trash music on Earth and gotten a pass because a)he's white and b)once in a while he drops a :pimp: verse/song that lets you know he actually is very talented. Complete waste of talent

Last edited:
Not because they didn't, it's because they can't. If he was worth a damn lyrically, I wouldn't have to ask, people would just be rattling them off whenever his name pops up, yet each and every time....nothing. Just 'well whatever he's one of the greats' but he really isn't though. Complex articles and facebook memes can't save him...that man is a fraud.

LOL.

For some rappers you don't have to prove that they're great. It's just agreed upon. If anything it's up to people to prove that they're NOT great if they even want to have that debate.

It's like that for a lot of things. The Wire is a great show. Seinfeld is a great sitcom. Van Gogh was a great painter. Shakespeare was a great playwright. Catcher In The Rye is a great novel. These are all universally held truths. They set the standard for comparison. And the only thing you can truly debate about when it comes to these things without sounding like a contrarian, is where they rank compared to others that are also considered great and in the same realm.

Yeah those are his main accolades :lol:

I hate the guys music but you are delusional b
You right. He dissed Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon too. 8 Mile was cool, don't know what my teenage years would've been without me downloading those freestyle battles via Limewire.
Really he hasn't done as much for rap as people are trying to give him credit for.
For some rappers you don't have to prove that they're great. It's just agreed upon. If anything it's up to people to prove that they're NOT great if they even want to have that debate.

It's like that for a lot of things. The Wire is a great show. Seinfeld is a great sitcom. Van Gogh was a great painter. Shakespeare was a great playwright. Catcher In The Rye is a great novel. These are all universally held truths. They set the standard for comparison. And the only thing you can truly debate about when it comes to these things without sounding like a contrarian, is where they rank compared to others that are also considered great and in the same realm.
Ok I get it now. We're supposed to form the opinion, that Eminem is one of the greats because it's a 'widely accepted truth.' It's like saying: "He's the best if you don't think about it!"
Y'all ****** can't be serious. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom