How good would Larry Bird be in today's game?

Originally Posted by MonStar1

I was thinking how there aren't any great white American wing players today.  None are All-Stars and probably will never be. 
You don't think Kevin Love will ever be an All-Star?

Bird would beast. The video is enough to show his skills.

He could adapt his game to who he was playing. High IQ. played tough CELTIC defense. (Same as Pistons defense if those understand what that means for that era of basketball.) Guys would be running to the refs for the crap Larry would do to them on defense or offense for being too physical. (I also think though Larry would be called for more fouls in this NBA compared to the 80's early 90's.)

This a serious question? 
Let me just say this, he'd be a hell of a lot better than Carmelo Anthony.

Originally Posted by dland24

He would be the best small forward in the NBA.

As a BASEDBron  fan I want to take offense to statement but I just can't
laugh.gif

I'm still going to give Bron the defensive edge based upon his ability to guard 1-4... But offensively Legend was just a straight KILLER
30t6p3b.gif
pimp.gif

I honestly don't see how Bird would be better than LeBron if they were both "alive" now.

Are we converted Bird into a 2k12 Era Player or will be be vaccumed into this year with his same body of 1985?

I just can't be so damn sure that he wouldn't be a zero today.

Not saying he would or wouldn't, but I am not as confident as you all to say he would be so great.

Have any of you watched bird or are you just feeding off the hype. Even if you just watch his so called classics you'll see he wouldn't be able to compete with the top SF in the NBA

Originally Posted by epox12

I was thinking how there aren't any great white American wing players today.  None are All-Stars and probably will never be. 
You don't think Kevin Love will ever be an All-Star?

Love is a post player

I don't want to disrespect a legend but I think alot of ya'll are giving him the easy pass with a quick "yeah".

1. He would have to play defense.  I'm sorry the way SF handle the ball in 2012> 1980's.  I can see him struggling alot of nights.

2. His jumper and IQ would still be tops in the league but he wouldn't be able to get to the basket or finish at the same rate as the 80's.

3. LeBron is better. And I hate LeBron stans.  LeBron isn't clutch, isn't a great shooter, and has limited post moves.  BUT he impacts the game much greater than Larry which hurts me to say

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

Lol @ the thought of Bird trying to guard Durant or LeBron

Lol @ the thought of Durant or LeBron trying to guard Bird
Son was nice, had the best shot, best release, clutch, can handle and pass, and basketball IQ is off the charts.  IMO he is like Paul Pierce only better

I think MJ transcends all generations because of his athleticism. Add in prime Shaq, modern day DRose/LeBron/etc, 81 Kobe...these guys have that much athleticism to succeed in any era.

Some of u are severely underestimating the value of a high bball IQ. Guys like magic, bird, Kidd, lebron would be fine in any era based off their iq alone

Larry Bird wouldn't need to dribble much, for those saying he can't! Does Dirk dribble? Dirk has done pretty well and Bird had more game than him (passing, toughness, defense)
Bird would post, shoot up top the defender, shoot fadaways, or fake the defender and go to the basket every time and create what he wanted. He would come off screens and shoot lights out, and not to mention drain 3's on a constant basis. Bird 

1. He would have to play defense.  I'm sorry the way SF handle the ball in 2012> 1980's.  I can see him struggling alot of nights.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Do you watch the NBA? Half the guys out there don't play defense at all.

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Do you watch the NBA? Half the guys out there don't play defense at all.

You can't be serious. Maybe you don't watch the NBA and just say what you hear like "they don't play defense" or "all the players skills suck". 
grin.gif

Maybe the Bobcats and Wizards don't play defense. But defense does exist in the NBA please believe that.

I don't want to disrespect a legend but I think alot of ya'll are giving him the easy pass with a quick "yeah".

2. His jumper and IQ would still be tops in the league but he wouldn't be able to get to the basket or finish at the same rate as the 80's.

3. LeBron is better. And I hate LeBron stans.  LeBron isn't clutch, isn't a great shooter, and has limited post moves.  BUT he impacts the game much greater than Larry which hurts me to say

Listen here young buck (lol), Bird was regularly guarded by guys like Dennis Rodman, Rick Mahorn, Xavier McDaniels back then & defenders were allowed to be much more physical than they are no & Bird had no problems getting to the hole & knocking down a J right in thier grills. Aside from all his personal antics, Rodman is one of the best front court defenders to ever play the game & Bird handled him no problem. There isn't a front court player out there now that can play defense remotely close to Rodman.

That young buck thing is joke BTW. Don't take any of this seriously. This amounts to a barber shop sports dicussion. Got it? 
tongue.gif

Look, no one hated the Celts back in the day more than me. But Bird was the truth. Don't let that pasty white skin & those short shorts fool you. He would light up any of these fools today (in his prime) most especially Bron Bron.

Originally Posted by psk2310

Listen here young buck (lol), Bird was regularly guarded by guys like Dennis Rodman, Rick Mahorn, Xavier McDaniels back then & defenders were allowed to be much more physical than they are no & Bird had no problems getting to the hole & knocking down a J right in thier grills. Aside from all his personal antics, Rodman is one of the best front court defenders to ever play the game & Bird handled him no problem. There isn't a front court player out there now that can play defense remotely close to Rodman.

That young buck thing is joke BTW. Don't take any of this seriously. This amounts to a barber shop sports dicussion. Got it? 
tongue.gif

Ok geezer.  Anyways I agree with him scoring on offense especially the way rules are today. BUT on the defensive end. Also I have seen ALOT of basketball and I'm not that young lol 

Back
Top Bottom