How hard is it to REALLY to get into Ivy League?

they're not trolling though. you're not getting into anywhere with a sub 2000 SAT

he clearly stated he is a sophomore and hasn't even taken the SAT yet...he got those on the PSAT and that's DAMN good for a sophomore. he also has a 4.0 on a 4.0 scale with extracurriculars to blow.
one dude tells him MAYBE if he did something to raise 100s of 1000s of dollars >D
look i'm IN college and personally know people who got into ivy league schools.
they did about half of what this dude did in extras and got a 2000 something SAT.
with that said, if they're not trolling then they are out of touch. with a 2000 on the SAT (like he thinks he'll get and probably will looking at his PSAT)
he'll be fine.

he clearly stated he is a sophomore and hasn't even taken the SAT yet...he got those on the PSAT and that's DAMN good for a sophomore. he also has a 4.0 on a 4.0 scale with extracurriculars to blow.
one dude tells him MAYBE if he did something to raise 100s of 1000s of dollars >D
they did about half of what this dude did in extras and got a 2000 something SAT.
with that said, if they're not trolling then they are out of touch. with a 2000 on the SAT (like he thinks he'll get and probably will looking at his PSAT)
he'll be fine.
well if he's getting an 1800 on PSAT's and has a 4.0 he obviously either goes to a garbage high school or a private high school. the former is a disadvantage for sure.
none of his extra curriculars are impressive (like saying he participated in the AMC :lol: )
well i'm at an ivy, the worst one in terms of the statistics of admitted applicants, and a 2000 SAT makes it pretty hard to get into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc...unless you're black, latino, or poor. the avg sat for those schools is 2150-2200 i think

well if he's getting an 1800 on PSAT's and has a 4.0 he obviously either goes to a garbage high school or a private high school. the former is a disadvantage for sure.
none of his extra curriculars are impressive (like saying he participated in the AMC :lol: )
well i'm at an ivy, the worst one in terms of the statistics of admitted applicants, and a 2000 SAT makes it pretty hard to get into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc...unless you're black, latino, or poor. the avg sat for those schools is 2150-2200 i think

you've got to be ******** me bro. :lol:
he's a sophomore getting that on the PSAT.
as a JUNIOR i did worse and but did really well on my very FIRST Sat and ended up going to FSU.
I don't think that's a safe correlation to make is all.
maybe is extras aren't that special, but if he keeps his GPA where it is, continues to take rigorous courses, then his SAT will be his last I he has to dot.
and like I said as a sophomore with that on the PSAT he seems to be in good shape.
but idk, I don't think his Ivy League aspirations are as far fetched as the comments are making them seem.

He's only a sophomore though, that's definitely not enough for ivy schools. Maybe if he had those credentials and was a senior but he wouldn't get in now if he applied extra early to get in as a sophomore. Doubt they'd even offer him college courses.

he'll be fine.

I'm IN college as well, and with sub 2000 SAT he's not getting into a top 5. My homeboy had a 4.0 and a 2260 and he got wait-listed to Princeton and got in because of his extracurriculars. Unless this kid is legacy or has absolutely fantastic extracurriculars he's not getting into a top 5.

That 4.0 is admirable, as matter of fact it is excellent but check your self before you go to college because alot of times teachers in high school grade based on you history. A students get A's and so on, unless you just totally mess up but college is a new set of who's smart and/or not and SAT's and ACT's measure you outside of your comfort zone. Good Luck though!

180 on PSAT is not that good.

I got a 216 when i was a sophomore.

If his high school doesn't send many to Ivys then he better have a damn good essay and do well on interviews.

I'm IN college as well, and with sub 2000 SAT he's not getting into a top 5. My homeboy had a 4.0 and a 2260 and he got wait-listed to Princeton and got in because of his extracurriculars. Unless this kid is legacy or has absolutely fantastic extracurriculars he's not getting into a top 5.

he hasn't taken the SAT yet though...that's my thing. he has so much room for growth w/ that and everything else seems to be on point.

He's only a sophomore though, that's definitely not enough for ivy schools. Maybe if he had those credentials and was a senior but he wouldn't get in now if he applied extra early to get in as a sophomore. Doubt they'd even offer him college courses.

idk, but i think he plans on applying once he's a senior, he's just giving his credentials.
i've never heard of anyone applying for college as a sophomore.

you've got to be ******** me bro. :lol:
he's a sophomore getting that on the PSAT.
as a JUNIOR i did worse and but did really well on my very FIRST Sat and ended up going to FSU.
I don't think that's a safe correlation to make is all.
maybe is extras aren't that special, but if he keeps his GPA where it is, continues to take rigorous courses, then his SAT will be his last I he has to dot.
and like I said as a sophomore with that on the PSAT he seems to be in good shape.
but idk, I don't think his Ivy League aspirations are as far fetched as the comments are making them seem.
im serious, college admissions are stupid competitive and arbitrary. it's a terrible system that makes little sense, but unfortunately that's just how it is.

well he said in his original post that he planned on getting a min of 2000. if he gets a 2350, he's fine. but if he got a 1800 on the psats, thats unlikely. statistically, he might to a little better on his SATs, but not much. and that definitely wouldn't get him into the schools he listed.
and no offense but he's aiming for schools that are wayyyyyyyy harder to get into than fsu. getting into harvard is pretty much impossible nowdays, the acceptance rate for regular decision is like less than 5% or something crazy

If the bruh has guap, he could have a 1.8 GPA, gotten a 680 on his SATs, have a rap sheet that makes Ja Rule look like a choir boy, and STILL get into an Ivy League school. Word to Bush.

Ok, I read the guy's question a bit more carefully now. A few thoughts:

He spells sophomore as "softmore." I know it's the internet and nothing serious but cmon son :lol:

He stated that he participated in several competitions but didn't mention what place he got so I'm assuming he didn't really do that well.

Also, with the club activities, he probably spread himself too thin. Would've been better off sticking to like 2 or 3 and trying to become president or vp of the club which would look better than just being a member of all those different misc clubs.

It's better to be amazing in few activities than mediocre in many. That's what Ivy League schools want to see. They want to see if you have the potential to impact the world with your intelligence and character. But mediocre in many is still better than mediocre in a few, so it's not the worst I've seen.

Also, 1800 on SATs ain't even cutting it for low-level UCs. You need 2200+ to even be looked at by Ivy schools. That 4.0 GPA is definitely top-shelf though. If he can maintain it throughout his four years in HS... :x

I've got some friends at UPenn and Harvard and although they excelled in grades they didn't do a lot of this stuff.. for the most part it's reaching...but on the other hand it's true :rolleyes

Legacies( Play a huge role at Ivys and my school, considering 50% of kids here have a legacy), parents donating $$$$ to schools, or you are just flat out smart with great activities to go along with your grades... Essays play a major role when everyone is the same academically. Had a few kids in my graduating class attend some of the ivies, and they were pretty dedicated in like 3-4 activities along with their perfect grades

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom