How has Russell Wilson managed to stay above the criticism aimed at black QBs?

How has Russ managed to stay above this crap? It's bound to happen at some point, right? We were briefly talking about it in the NFL thread, but I think the topic deserves its own. Guys like Cam Newton (smile), Kap (tats), RG3 (cornball, etc.) have, or are going through it. Black QBs before them had the same thing happen where their character is assassinated for no good reason. The only knock on Wilson was actually FOOTBALL RELATED, and that was his height - which is now a non-issue because he's one of the better QBs in the league. It's a sickening double-standard that these guys have to go through and it's not fair.

His interviews are pure cliche. He just always stays 50 ft. behind any line. Press conferences are boring as hell.

I agree with you about the general double standard.

Last edited:
Because Russell Wilson hasn't put himself in that position. All the QB's you named have done something to garner criticism.

Listen to him talk and then watch his actions (I know you have, but said for emphasis). He backs it all up. He's just one of the personalities that you cannot hate because he's the all-american man. In more detail: He gives you no room to believe anything other than what he says -- meaning no crack in his persona that allows the media to widen that window and overblow any "issue."

Half of the racial tension surrounded by those other names you mentioned is smaller than led to believe. I think racism does exist, but is mainly used in overexaggerating that crack or window, personality quirk, if you will, that I mentioned hasn't been exposed or doesn't exist with Russell.

In other words, Cam's body language and morose interviews, RGIII's outspoken and sometimes selfish demands are all negative things from anyone and isn't specific to their race. Where the race comes in is how those personalities are overblown to become bigger than they are. Russell hasn't given anyone, especially the media, that opportunity.

Last edited:
It's already been said, Wilson hasn't placed himself in a position to be criticized, whether it's on the field, or off.

the kap criticism over the tats was ******ed.

the cam criticism  was silly

the rg3 criticism, alot of  it is/was warranted imo.

russell seems like a good dude, hard worker, great teammate though.  i can't stand his team and most of their fanbase but its hard  to  find anything bad about wilson.

He's a safe negro with Christian values

Conservatives feel comfortable with his kind

Which is part of the reason why RG3 was called a cornball brother...just sayin'.

That was just an ignorant statement. The **** of it is that comments like that always come from another black man. It's ridiculous. The line between praise and denigration for every black athelete seems extremely thin.

And Mr. Marcus: I think that's kind of a cop out to say. White people dislike Jay Cutler because of manuerisms and that perceived lack of caring. It has nothing to do with race or being one of their own kind. He just comes off as a douchebag, plain and simple.

Last edited:

the kap criticism over the tats was ******ed.

the cam criticism  was silly

the rg3 criticism, alot of  it is/was warranted imo.

russell seems like a good dude, hard worker, great teammate though.  i can't stand his team and most of their fanbase but its hard  to  find anything bad about wilson.
totally agree......he comes off humble and genuine.his play on the field has been good. 

whats is there to complain about

Last edited:
I'm just speaking on the conservative side of white America....dude is very open with his Christian beliefs...they tend to not come at athletes like that....word to tebow

I only used safe negro since the topic is only about black qbs

Off the top of my head I can't think of any openly Christian athlete that got attacked on some dumb ****

And rg3 deserves every negative media press...dude is an arrogant ***

Last edited:
I think it too is based on his Christian beliefs and he's not your typical lack qb cuz he's multiracial black and Native American

1. He is in Seattle

2. He doesn't look like the people you mentioned. He looks more Bobby Jindal than a Black QB, so that perception separates him.

He's as PC as they come in front of a mic and on TV

Last edited:
Dude is as vanilla as they come, and he's been the most consistent of all of the QBs mentioned since coming into the league. Plus, he plays in Seattle, and nobody cares about Seattle.

Even though Seahawk fans will probably think I'm talking about their city but I'm not, I'll say it anyway to answer OP's question......location, location, location.

Forreal for the longest I thought Russell Wilson was middle eastern. I was like oh snap the first middle eastern nfl player! But is Russell Wilson even black? 

- Also what are qb's like Cam and Kaep going through besides recieving lots of love??

Last edited:
I firmly believe that mcnabb wouldn't have even gotten a 3rd of the criticism he got if he was white... The stuff his last season in Philly and in Washington and Minnesota, sure he was washed up then..

But most of his career he was throwing to Todd pinkston, James thrash and Freddie Mitchell

And Westbrook getting hurt every season right before the playoffs

Last edited:
Forreal for the longest I thought Russell Wilson was middle eastern. I was like oh snap the first middle eastern nfl player! But is Russell Wilson even black? 

- Also what are qb's like Cam and Kaep going through besides recieving lots of love??
He's biracial his father is black and his mother is white.

He's biracial his father is black and his mother is white.

RW's mom is black.

russell_wilson_family.jpg

Back
Top Bottom