How I Met Your Mother Post Series Discussion. Rustled Jimmies to the Maximum

I was reading some of the character descriptions and the main male characters are Greta Gerwig's older, gay brother and his husband. Also, another dude described as a "hot nerd". I dont see the NT community latching onto the spinoff :lol:

I don't think anything will ever come close to HIMYM personally. Basically grew up with the show during my adolescence. Don't plan on checking the spin off and like you guys have said does not interest me at all with that cast.

Agree with the majority sentiment here. Ultimately making the entire show about robin???? the few minutes we saw of ted and tracy was good, the writing and chemistry of them two was great.

robin broke ted then married one of his best friends......then she sees him happy and cant handle it!!

the show was struggling down the stretch but the finale could have been great, instead i was just :smh:

Last edited:
In Robin's defense, Ted couldn't handle it either. He was all but ready to leave new york until Tracy came along.

I don't think HIMYM 'stumbled down the stretch'

Just the fact that there is this internet wide debate and such divisiveness over the finale proves that. People aren't going to argue this hotly over something they don't care about, and if they are, then they should be devoting their energy to something they do care about.
If social media existed during the Seinfeld finale, you'd be having the same discussion. Just because people are watching it doesn't mean that the show hadn't previously jumped the shark. Some of the articles I read from critics of major publications have all said that HIMYM wasn't the show it used to be. The Office became a subpar show after Season 4, yet many continued to watch despite the fact the show had been sinking in quality season after season. I didn't think the finale was good mainly because the show overstayed its welcome long past its prime (Season 4 was the last good season imo). People are upset because they invested their time for nine seasons to end up without closure. Again it goes back to the Seinfeld reference I made.

Last edited:
I was reading some of the character descriptions and the main male characters are Greta Gerwig's older, gay brother and his husband. Also, another dude described as a "hot nerd". I dont see the NT community latching onto the spinoff
laugh.gif
A friend of mine knows the gay brother's husband 
laugh.gif

They did UCB stuff together and the guy basically just stumbled into the role.

Good for him though 

Rell826, argument is sound but I don't understand the concept of continuing to watch if you don't like the show. That sounds like masochism.

I still disagree, two of my favorite episodes of all time are from season 8 and 9, 'Time Travelers' and 'How Your Mother Met Me'

Last edited:
HIMYM definitely stumbled down the stretch, but it was still good. Just not as consistently good as it was early on. More filler and more :rolleyes plot developments than before.
Just because it stumbled doesn't mean people didn't like it or shouldn't have cared.

And while the quality was less consistent, they could've never delivered an ep like Marshall's dad dying early on, either.

Last edited:
Rell826, argument is sound but I don't understand the concept of continuing to watch if you don't like the show. That sounds like masochism.

I still disagree, two of my favorite episodes of all time are from season 8 and 9, 'Time Travelers' and 'How Your Mother Met Me'
Oh I totally agree. The Walking Dead, like the Office, is a show I've completely stopped watching because of how bad it is. Some people just watch so they have something to complain about.

I've never watched The Walking Dead but every time there's a new episode my fb and twitter feeds go bananas. It appears that its fandom is at a whole time high if social media is anything to go by.

I think the longer any show stays on the air, the harder it gets to come up with storylines that aren't filler. I try not to go by the amount of fillers but by the quality of the episodes that aren't filler.

I think it would be great for primetime tv to go the route of its cable counterparts. I've never watched Breaking Bad or True Blood, etc. at all but I understand their seasons were shorter. Creatively wise it'd improve the quality of the average episode. Financially wise, it probably wouldn't make sense for the networks, otherwise they would've all shortened their seasons by this point.

I think Friends did a good job of producing quality seasons in the later stages of the show. There were a bit of some storylines though that weren't as good like when they decided to pair Rachel and Joey together.

That edit of the HIMYM ending is perfect. Would have loved if they directed it like that.

Started rewatching the series from season 1 last night,

I wish there was a callback to the pineapple 
laugh.gif

First time in like...at least a decade that there was huge backlash to an ending of a show I never watched. :lol:

Alias, Lost, BSG, Sopranos, Dexter...whatever the hell happened to Heroes, Weeds, Scrubs and The Office. :smh:

It...actually makes me wanna check out HIMYM in a weird way. :lol:

Is the first season worth watching or is it one of those...gets better later shows?

Seasons 1-4 are the best. This show managed to do enough even in their "crappy" seasons to keep you watching. Unlike the Office, which had one too many "I absolutely can't take this anymore" moments. HIMYM has their share of dull plotlines or weaker episodes in the later years, but they could still pull off the kind of stuff we all love about the show to make it worthwhile. And you do feel very invested in these characters, thanks in large part to the stronger early seasons. It's worth a watch, at least the early stuff.

First time in like...at least a decade that there was huge backlash to an ending of a show I never watched.
laugh.gif

Alias, Lost, BSG, Sopranos, Dexter...whatever the hell happened to Heroes, Weeds, Scrubs and The Office.
mean.gif

It...actually makes me wanna check out HIMYM in a weird way.
laugh.gif

Is the first season worth watching or is it one of those...gets better later shows?
Seasons 1-4 are the best. This show managed to do enough even in their "crappy" seasons to keep you watching. Unlike the Office, which had one too many "I absolutely can't take this anymore" moments. HIMYM has their share of dull plotlines or weaker episodes in the later years, but they could still pull off the kind of stuff we all love about the show to make it worthwhile. And you do feel very invested in these characters, thanks in large part to the stronger early seasons. It's worth a watch, at least the early stuff.
This.

anytime HIMYM started to fall of a bit, they would show the carrot by teasing the Mother ever so slightly to keep our interest.

And it worked pretty well TBH.

Days later ending still sucks. I'm leaning more to disliking the whole show entirely.

People continue to watch shows that fall off all the time. Some ppl are completists like that. Some watch in hopes that it'll get better and that may masochism but that doesn't mean the show remained good. Just means show was good enough to have ppl latch ppl on and get by terrible bull ****.

I would usually catch re-runs like on NF or FX but I can't even bring myself to do that these last few days. It just reminds me how pointless it all ends up being and how irate I was Monday night.

Same here.

Some of my favorite moments from the past 2+ seasons were ruined.

I think from now on I can only catch the pure comedy eps. Best Burger in NY, the subway race, those things.

Yeah I wasn't with this show from the jump. Whenever it reached syndication and got crazy reruns is when I caught up like 3 seasons ago. Pulled me in specifically cuz of NPH and made me think if this was worth Segel's time.

Kinda wish I didn't now.

I guess I'm in the minority who enjoyed the series, as well as the ending.

Glad my time didn't feel wasted nor do I feel bamboozled. The only negative feeling I have about the show is having to figure out what to watch on Mondays.

I don't regret wasting my time with this show. I mostly enjoyed it. And this is coming from someone who watched when the first pilot aired on TV.

Last edited:
I guess I'm in the minority who enjoyed the series, as well as the ending.

Glad my time didn't feel wasted nor do I feel bamboozled. The only negative feeling I have about the show is having to figure out what to watch on Mondays.

You're the minority on this board but I'm sure the HIMYM fandom as a whole is about evenly split on the finale.

The NT clientele is a very tough crowd to please. I should've learned my lesson from the Avengers thread and various sports thread and girl appreciation threads, lol.

Pretty celebrity = average white girl
Record breaking movie = better than average cbm
controversial ending = worst ending ever
very good dunk=ehh

Last edited:
lol, ive been used to watching this show monday nights for the last 9 years...gonna feel weird not seeing it again. I gotta admit the only reason I watched the pilot episode was because of Neil Patrick Harris. Always been a fan since his doogie howser days
pimp.gif
.....Loved it when they had an episode on HIMYM making fun of that...Interestingly, I could even say that NPH's scene with his daughter saved the finale from being a total mess.

In my opinion, Neil Patrick Harris carried the series. I no longer call him Doogie Howser...I now know him as Barney Stinson
pimp.gif

As far as Ted, the character, is concerned, he ended up being happy either way. Thats why I'm not too mad at the ending.
Barney was probably the best comedy character on TV while this show was running. Never an unfunny moment. 

Back
Top Bottom