How many of my 30 and ups listen to the new rap wave?

This article probably applies to a majority of the 30+ members here.
This + most of the answers in this thread is why I wonder why old ****** on here and in comment sections complain about new rappers lol.

If you admittedly and through statistics are shown to not consume or care about new music past your early 30's why are you surprised or angry when record labels seek acts that are geared towards the youth that are going to engage and consume from their new acts?

Hip Hop is determined by what the young (18-24) fan wants.

Last edited:
I don't hate on the new cats, I've tried listening and just know it's not for me

35, I mess with Vince Staples heavy + Kendrick, Rocky,

Chance here and there, J.Cole, Tyler, Earl every now and then

not really into the majority of stuff going these days

So you're not a fan of Kendrick or J. Cole?
I don't really consider them new, they've been out for awhile. I like Kendrick and I'm a fan of J Cole's mixtapes but not really his new stuff. If they're considered new, I rock with em. I meant like Lil Yachty, Rich The Kid, etc...

Two factors drive this transition away from popular music. First, listeners discover less-familiar music genres that they didn’t hear on FM radio as early teens, from artists with a lower popularity rank. Second, listeners are returning to the music that was popular when they were coming of age — but which has since phased out of popularity.”

me all da day...started listening to Spanish Music more after 2010, and most da rap i consume is from da golden era, or people which has styles derived of said era.

I try, but I can't listen to much of any of the new rap music. There are a few exceptions. 

What is funny is that I cannot listen to a lot of the older rap that I used to like either. 

I don't want to hear about catching bodies and moving weight or popping bottles anymore. 

I guess I am getting old (36)

Outside a few guys (Drake, j Cole, Kendrick and a few others I can't stand this new stuff. It's not even rap to me

I listen to some of it..

wouldn't stuff like Chance and Vince Staples be included in the new stuff and not just Yachty and Thug? I wouldn't count people like Drake, Kendrick and Cole as being new. They're close or ever 30.

I try to listen to something before I chalk it up as being trash.

I listen to some of it..

wouldn't stuff like Chance and Vince Staples be included in the new stuff and not just Yachty and Thug? I wouldn't count people like Drake, Kendrick and Cole as being new. They're close or ever 30.

I try to listen to something before I chalk it up as being trash.

Vince & Chance been out for like 5 years. Not much less time than Kendrick & Cole. Just saying

31 and no, not really. The only hip hop albums I enjoyed this year were Kendrick, Kanye, Chance, and ATCQ.

Hip Hop / rap just ain't doing it for me anymore. My fav albums from this year were Anderson .Paak, Frank, Solange, and Gambino

I'm with the group of producers. However, radio gets no play in my car. Lil Yachty, D.R.A.M, etc. Those are the type of artists radio gear towards. More for the younger gen anyways. If I ever get sirius xm back, then ill bump shade45. Other than that, I keep it close to the genre of artist I make music for. That real Hiphop. 33 btw.

33 here and man I can't get with any of this new stuff. All I really listen to is old cash money, old jeezy and old tip. Only new dude I keep up with is YG if you can call him new. I just can't get with it. Migos are cool but I don't follow them at all. I stopped checking for new music maybe 3-4 years ago cause it's all the same to me now. I'm probably just a old head

For my cats 30+, check out Don Trip from Memphis. Relatiy old but new. Good music.

S/O to all my CMR heads. It never gets old...

I listen to new stuff sometimes, but that's mostly cause of pandora. No matter what I'm always linked to music from '95, the era of a generation of dudes that came from similar environments that had something to say through music

I dont actively search for new music anymore.

If I come across it and like it I wont deny it.

Looking for new music is a constant thing for me. Its amazing the amount of talent that's out there.

I grew up listening to rap music more than anything else but at 32 now it's no longer been the case.  I can't name one single song by any of these new rappers for most of them, for Desiigner I can name 1 being Panda.  I know all their names due to social media but literally don't know 1 song by them

Im 31 one... i got my usual's that i am gonna always check for. but i cracked and paid for a streaming service.

with that being said its made me lazy. For example if a new mixtape comes out I prolly wont know about it if I am already not up on this person or if its not posted on the site.

and two, knowing the music is gonna just be sitting there for me to go listen at any time... i may not even bother checking it out and Ill forget about it all together.

Back
Top Bottom