How much do you spend per month on food?

Including eating out..

I'm averaging like $450-500 a month for two people.

Which doesnt seem like much but I eat out a lot.

Including eating out..

I'm averaging like $450-500 a month for two people.

Which doesnt seem like much but I eat out a lot.

Im right where you are and i know I spend too much on food.

Im trying to stop eating out so much but its such a struggle to get used to bringing your own food for lunch in my opinion.

Im just lazy to be honest :smh:

Why stop spending a lot on food though?

1900's: 40% of income on food
1934-1946 (war years): 40% of income on food
1950's: 34%
2002-2003: 13%

Of all the areas of life that are critically important food should be #1. Eating high quality food leads to so many positives.

It annoys me how cheap Americans expect food to be. I got friends that will spend 60k on a car note and not want to spend $11 for a healthy, well prepared meal. I just don't get it.

(copied from somewhere):
On some level, this is pretty intuitive—food is a basic need, and there's only so much you can eat, no matter how much money you have. But even among developed countries, our food spending is ultra-low: People in most European countries spend over 10 percent of their incomes on food. In fact, Americans spend less on food than people in any other country in the world. Even we Americans didn't always expect our food to be so cheap, though: Back in 1963, when Molly Orshansky, an employee of the Social Security Administration, created the nation's first poverty threshold, she simply tripled the cost of the FDA's "thrifty" food plan, since at the time most families spent about a third of their incomes on food. So how'd we end up spending just a fraction of that four decades later?

Last edited:
Probably 3-400 on groceries, and another 3-400 eating out. (for 2 people)

I eat well, and I don't care how much I spend on food. At the end of the day, this is the fuel for my life. 

Last edited:
Why stop spending a lot on food though?

1900's: 40% of income on food
1934-1946 (war years): 40% of income on food
1950's: 34%
2002-2003: 13%

Of all the areas of life that are critically important food should be #1. Eating high quality food leads to so many positives.

It annoys me how cheap Americans expect food to be. I got friends that will spend 60k on a car note and not want to spend $11 for a healthy, well prepared meal. I just don't get it.

(copied from somewhere):
On some level, this is pretty intuitive—food is a basic need, and there's only so much you can eat, no matter how much money you have. But even among developed countries, our food spending is ultra-low: People in most European countries spend over 10 percent of their incomes on food. In fact, Americans spend less on food than people in any other country in the world. Even we Americans didn't always expect our food to be so cheap, though: Back in 1963, when Molly Orshansky, an employee of the Social Security Administration, created the nation's first poverty threshold, she simply tripled the cost of the FDA's "thrifty" food plan, since at the time most families spent about a third of their incomes on food. So how'd we end up spending just a fraction of that four decades later?

Dont get me wrong i eat good but spending 11-16 bucks depending on where i eat lunch when i could make the same meal at home and spend a fraction of that

I know a lot more, since my wife got pregnant. We've been buying take out a lot more too, due to her cravings.

Add another 100 for groceries for the crib, and that really helps out with my budget.

I get paid once a month, and I usually eat out a few times for the first week, and then chill on the second week. The third week I'll eat out more, and that last week I'm eating what I stocked up at home. 

Last edited:
In4info

Planning on moving out eventually. I want to know roughly how much i will be spending on food.

Last edited:
When I moved out I had a chick who would come over and cook some. But then she tried to mark her territory or some ****, and now I don't allow that as much as I used to. 

It was a catch to that, and I should have seen it then. 

ok so this is the struggle in my house im really trying to get a hold of the spending  
mean.gif

$8-12 lunch everyday.

$20-$50 dinner every night. ( for two )

I don't wanna calculate because that seems like a lot. :frown:

$8-12 lunch everyday.

$20-$50 dinner every night. ( for two )

I don't wanna calculate because that seems like a lot. :frown:

if it's only weekdays, then roughly 1K per month.

you're welcome.

Last edited:
Food probably comes out to 1000 a month +/-. I try to eat at home on weekdays with my gf as much as possible but when we still like to go out around 3 times a week and probably lunch and dinner for the weekend. Trying to cook more at home to bring down the cost a bit and eating outside food all the time gets pretty repetitive and you get sick of it eventually.

Dont get me wrong i eat good but spending 11-16 bucks depending on where i eat lunch when i could make the same meal at home and spend a fraction of that

I'm not talking about having to spend that money necessarily going out to the eat though. I'd rather spend $5 to $8 to buy high quality (non GMO, organic, wtv nonsense) food to use as ingredients rather than save a few bucks and spend $3 bucks buying the mass produced low quality stuff. Don't get me wrong - I'm not one of those live in the woods, make no waste people. I think that the more people show that they are willing to spend money on quality food, the more companies will aim for that market and the costs will eventually get lowered.

Let's be real though - it is hard for our generation out there. Rent in my area (SF) is 3k for a 1 bedroom. Doesn't leave much money for buying quality food.

$600-$650. I eat clean. I'm willing to spend more money on food than anything else. Its the biggest factor in my health(and yours). I'm not willing to sacrifice that.

Was spending around $600 a month, one person, not including alcohol. But in CA groceries were expensive as hell and so was dining out.

Living in Europe and spend about $300 a month, I'd also consider most of my meals out and meat from the for grocery store here "fine dining" compared to back home.

Back
Top Bottom