How Should a Suit Fit?

In order from 1 to 5, with 1 being the best and 5 being the worst, can you give me your opinion on which suits fit the best. I know how I feel, but I wonderwhat the general consensus is on how a suit should properly fit.

If you have your own pics, please post them.

Thanks.

1, unless you wanna look like Rusty in Ocean's Eleven, which isn't a bad thing, but not everybody can pull it off...

All of those are basically fine, just different styles. #2 is very European and Christian Bale's pants just look like they have an extremely high rise, heprobably just has really long legs

check out this slide show from GQ, they did a before/after on a bunch of people. These aren't the specific ones from this month's magazine (which arebetter) but I'll see if I can find those:

http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/slideshow/v/021908UP

Not like this:
timthomas.draft.jpg

All the ones posted are cool, except for 4, too tight imo.

I like the cut of the tuxedo in number four the best.

The guy in the first pic is very generic..

The guy in the second pic's suit is kinda clean..

Third is ok...

Fifth meh..

You are going to base your decision on what suit to buy on how they look on other people?

I'm my opinion suit,dress shirts,jackets,jeans, dress shirts, etc... should all be coordinated to the physique of your body frame.

I saw this in the recent GQ and they basically say, "Slimmer is always better." They don't really display any minute differences that bringthe appearance up, it's just the befores are always so piss poor in fit, that anything else by default will look better.

I don't know, I'm not in love with slimmer always being better.

slimmer isn't the word I would use, but just about all the before's show people who have bought suits that are too big, as in they bought a 44 whenthey needed a 42. Aside from that, not have a suit properly tapered makes you look like a box instead of a human being.

And I can basically break down exactly what they did in each case but its so elementary and obvious that wth?

Originally Posted by punisha15

You are going to base your decision on what suit to buy on how they look on other people?

That's usually how fashion/style works. You takes hints of inspiration/style from others and incorporate it into your own look. Nobody lives in abubble.

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

00005h.jpg

Doesn't look bad to me..

shoulders are a touch too wide
jacket sleeves are a hair too long and shirt sleeves are too short
coat waist is ok but wide by most standards
3 button vs 2 which is what's more in style but you can always use 3
pants are way too long, way too much break
shoes are ugly and the wrong color for that suit

overall not that bad but definitely a huge improvement in the after, the guy looks 30 lbs lighter at least

I need to step my dress game up, fitted clothes look so much better then anything else, everything else is childish.

Originally Posted by F A Y B A N

I saw this in the recent GQ and they basically say, "Slimmer is always better." They don't really display any minute differences that bring the appearance up, it's just the befores are always so piss poor in fit, that anything else by default will look better.

I don't know, I'm not in love with slimmer always being better.
i agree. i wear wide leg dress pants and suit pants nearly everyday.

i hate the look of tight legs with your shoes looking huge.

^ I have a size 12 shoe and a wear around a 15" bottom (18" being the standard straight leg fit). I look damn good.

and it was actually from the GQ with Lebron on the cover, Jennifer Aniston was last month

That's usually how fashion/style works. You takes hints of inspiration/style from others and incorporate it into your own look. Nobody lives in a bubble.

Thanks for the replies.

It usually works for people that have no style of their own. Go to a store and try on a few suits to see what works for you not for other people.

just wherever u go to buy ur suit, get measured up, try a couple different styles on, and see what one YOU like best.

That's usually how fashion/style works. You takes hints of inspiration/style from others and incorporate it into your own look. Nobody lives in a bubble.

Thanks for the replies.

It usually works for people that have no style of their own. Go to a store and try on a few suits to see what works for you not for other people.

I hate getting into back and forths but can't you admit there is a difference between saying you want a jacket that hugs your shoulders snug, a pantthat falls right over your shoe, debating the difference between a two or three button based on height andf weight, and a number of factors that distinguish acrummy suit from a nice one and simply saying, "I like that suit because (insert famous person) wears it."

I'm not talking about labels or buying something rubber stamped by some celebrity, I'm talking about how a suit should fit. Give me a break.

Originally Posted by infamousod

^ I have a size 12 shoe and a wear around a 15" bottom (18" being the standard straight leg fit). I look damn good.
you may think it looks good, and that's ok, but i can't stand it.

the leg openings on my pants are 22-23 inches to fit over my shoes.

1,3 and 5 are my favorite styles - on me. But 5 is probably actually a little narrow on the leg.

I've always liked no.3 - it's a single button, single breasted with quite a wide collar. Fabric always looked a little heavy but it would be good inthe winter.

Back
Top Bottom