How to negotiate a salary?

anyone have any personal tips or experience on how to ask for a better pay during a job offer?

Towards the end of the interview just ask. Do you have an idea of what the salary range is? What do you expect?

It never hurts to ask for a certain salary as long as it is within reason.

im saying at the end if you get the offer they say say here is our offer

are you really supposed to tell them im sorry but that is too low for me i would like XXXX more

or is that just pushing it?

Usually they will ask for your salary expectations first.
Just say something along the lines of according to my research the average salary for similar positions are around xx, xxx. Is this something that (insert company name) can match?
Go a little high to start and be flexible

OP even if the $ amount is a little lower than you expect remember total pay is more important. Things like benefits, days off, how much vacation time they give, frequency if merit increases, etc.

OP, aren't you interviewing for a retail position? I don't care if it's LV, at the end of the day, those are pretty much set in salaries because if you dont take it, the next guy will. 

To me, i feel like negotiating salaries is more for those that already have years of experience in their career field. From what i've seen, a lot of places just pay the average wage for the position if it's an entry level position

Last edited:
I haven't worked in the US for a few years, but do the companies that want to hire you confirm your past salary? I remember the last time I interviewed, when they asked how much I was making, I padded an another $10k and HR never asked to confirm. Maybe I was making peanut level $. 

I haven't worked in the US for a few years, but do the companies that want to hire you confirm your past salary? I remember the last time I interviewed, when they asked how much I was making, I padded an another $10k and HR never asked to confirm. Maybe I was making peanut level $. 
I don't think they're able to confirm the salary because i doubt employers just give that stuff out willingly. Obviously, if asked what you made in past jobs, you can always add a few bucks to what you actually made. Just don't add too much or it will be sus

^ I did last week. Did not get the job. Lol. It was for a personal banker at PNC. I'm sure I asked too much and they have it to some wack female who readily accepted 12 hr.

I wouldn't negotiate salary while getting a job offer unless its apparent that they really want you.

Anyone ever ask for outside of the hiring range even though they it was posted in the listing?

That most likely will end badly

I do hate when they ask a range and they call you in for an interview and tell you the range is way under your requirement

Had that happen at Villanova University for a job and I declined to even go back for the 2nd interview

Dr_-Evil-One-Million-Dollars.png

I had to deal with this not to long ago. Still not sure if I did it right but I still got more money. From my personal experience, companies will always low ball first. The gamble is when yo accept or decline offers. For example, you could ask for more money after a offer is given but if they have another candidate that is just as good for cheaper, they could just accept your decline and go with the other guy.

With my recent new job, I got sort of help. I went out to a happy hour type interview with some other people that I already knew that worked at the new place and when I was using the restroom, my friend told me the manager asked how much I made at my old job and he said 50k when it was almost 10k cheaper. So they asked me how much I wanted in a later meeting and I said 60k and then they came back at me with a 55k offer when that was almost 15k more then I made at my old job. So I took the offer and negotiated other deals like I got 3 weeks of vacation rather then the 1 week.

Try and just counter with a higher number. My girlfriend did it and asked for 15k more and she got 10k with a 5k signing bonus instead.

BROs....the correct thing to do is, hear their offer...... you then have a few days to decide whether to accept, renegotiate, or decline the offer.  During the decision period, go to:

www.glassdoor.com

- enter the companies name

- enter the position you are looking for

Now see if they are low-balling you or if they are offering you the higher tier of the salary.

Then go do a search of the same position, within the same state where you live.  This will show you what you are actually worth for the position you are applying for.

ok well before i applied i was told the range was 18-23 an hour

after i got an offer they offered 16 i mean i dont mind the 16 but it just feels shady when they said more earlier

now they do offer great benefits i guess

i tried to negotiate and they were busting my balls but i think i might be able to squeeze a few more dollars they tried to bargain with me telling me promotions are available based on my work

(but i already know this is most likely some carrot on a stick tactic)

i just want tips on how to squeeze out to at least 18 like promised i have the experience and i know its retail but i know im a top seller and bring a lot to the table for the company

ok well before i applied i was told the range was 18-23 an hour

after i got an offer they offered 16 i mean i dont mind the 16 but it just feels shady when they said more earlier

now they do offer great benefits i guess

i tried to negotiate and they were busting my balls but i think i might be able to squeeze a few more dollars they tried to bargain with me telling me promotions are available based on my work

(but i already know this is most likely some carrot on a stick tactic)

i just want tips on how to squeeze out to at least 18 like promised i have the experience and i know its retail but i know im a top seller and bring a lot to the table for the company
If you are confident w/your skills and how much you are worth, what you can say is something like:

"I understand you are offering $16.00/hour pay, would you consider adjusting my pay after the probationary period (3months) to my requested amount.....IF

A) you like my productivity

B) exceed expectations

C) a reliable and dedicated employee

Never throw out a number first, always try to hear what the employer is willing to offer first.

Back
Top Bottom