Hypothetical Question

Ok..

If Person A loses an item..
Then Person B finds said item but loses it before they can give it back..
Do they owe Person A?

On one hand Person A wouldn't of had it either way. On the other Person B was the one who last had it in their possession..

Discuss.

Ok..

Do they owe Person A?

On one hand Person A wouldn't of had it either way. On the other Person B was the one who last had it in their possession..

Discuss.

Better to not tell em you found it in the first place.
If person B having possession of the item was the initial ramification of person A losing the item then yeah you owe him.

If person B having possession of the item was the initial ramification of person A losing the item then yeah you owe him.

It's Person A's fault...they lost it in the first place

If I lost something and another person found it for me, I'm getting it back as soon as possible...I only see Person B losing it again if Person A was slacking to retrieve what they lost in the first place

So it's Person A's fault x2

It's Person A's fault...they lost it in the first place

If I lost something and another person found it for me, I'm getting it back as soon as possible...I only see Person B losing it again if Person A was slacking to retrieve what they lost in the first place

So it's Person A's fault x2

Originally Posted by Ginzo

But what if it wasn't.

But what if it wasn't.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

But what if it wasn't.

Then it's person A's fault imo.

But what if it wasn't.

Then it's person A's fault imo.

well, person B losing the item makes person As situation a lot worse because you can always retrace your steps with the hopes of recovering said lost item. If person B loses it it's on him/her to replace it.

Is there a correct answer to this?

well, person B losing the item makes person As situation a lot worse because you can always retrace your steps with the hopes of recovering said lost item. If person B loses it it's on him/her to replace it.

Is there a correct answer to this?

*Steps to the mic*
No.The only way person B *cough*Mangudai*cough* owes person A is if person B (which would be you) tells person A that "hey guy I found your *insert item*,but I lost it" (<---pause).

*Steps to the mic*
No.The only way person B *cough*Mangudai*cough* owes person A is if person B (which would be you) tells person A that "hey guy I found your *insert item*,but I lost it" (<---pause).

if person B lets person A know that item was found and in his possession then person B has the new responsibility of making sure that item makes it safely back to person A, therefore person B will be at fault

P.S. you got it from an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" lls

if person B lets person A know that item was found and in his possession then person B has the new responsibility of making sure that item makes it safely back to person A, therefore person B will be at fault

P.S. you got it from an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" lls

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

*Steps to the mic*

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

*Steps to the mic*

laugh.gif

Ok..

Do they owe Person A?

Discuss.
If A actually lost the item then B is NOT liable to A.  It depends where the item was found.  If it was found on a table or somewhere that seems someone misplaced it (not lost) then B would be liable.  If it was found on the ground, chances are that B has a claim to the item and therefore A does not have a cause of action against B.  
If B knew A lost it then it gets a little sticky.  B could be held liable based on conversion and/or trespass of chattels.  B would have to know that A lost it before he found it.  But I need the exact circumstances to determine whether B would be liable or not.  

note: T10 law school. 

Back
Top Bottom