I rock wit Troy Ave, but he kinda got killed by this Vice article

dom kennedy isnt relevant either almost nobody knows this dude outside of cali

Now you're talking nonsense because I'm college aged and in the South and people love Dom. He's go to for summer/laid back/chill music.

Both 20k for Dom and 8k for Troy are wins if they are pocketing at least 70-80% of that money.

If you're independent, you're not going to have physicals everywhere for people to even have the choice to buy your album.

That being said, Troy Ave is a corny *** dude.

Last edited:
He would've gotten more respect if he sold only 2000 copies but wasn't such a douchebag. The likeability of an artist is important for many fans. They want to connect with both the music and the artist behind it. Troy Ave is just not likeable in any way. He's arrogant to the point of being delusional. Rather then taking his L on his major flop he continues to make up excuses, brags about his supposed profits and still acts like he's the savior of NY and hiphop in general. As long as he keeps up that attitude he'll never be successful and will remain the laughing stock of hiphop.

Last edited:
Dude is fake confident, you can see it a mile away. Dudes like that are fragile on the inside which is why they always feel the need to prove themselves and usually over compensate with arrogance

8k is still a gigantic flop :rofl:

No1s makin jokes anymore cuz dude already isnt relevant

so is 20k when your Dom Kennedy but I digress

Troy is sadly the most relevant hated rapper lol, I'm not even a big fan of his music.  i'm just tired of the hypocrisy of all the new internet music fans

dom kennedy isnt relevant either almost nobody knows this dude outside of cali

How old are you and what do you listen to besides Travis Scott and Kanye?

Dom is listened to heavily everywhere amongst the college crowd, he just didn't promo and come through like the fan favorite Yellow Album
im amognst the college crowd and i live in LA stop

Only a hanful of people i know listen to dom

I know you love dom and all but Dude sold 20k men lie women lie numbers dont take your L

Last edited:
im amognst the college crowd and i live in LA stop

Only a hanful of people i know listen to dom

Dude sold 20k men lie women lie numbers dont take your L

20k is impressive as hell for his promo consisting of posting that his album is coming on IG and Twitter; no singles...compared to Durk doing 20k with two singles on Billboard and Thug doing 16k with all the songs he has out and is featured on + all the publicity he had with the Wayne thing. Plus Dom independent and didn't spend a dime on promo so he taking home 80% of those sales. Seems like a win to me compared to Durk and Thug who are on majors, flopped and now they slaves to the label who still has to recoup.

Dom's new album was kinda buns outside of a few songs tho.

20k is bad any way u look at it unless u selling them joints out yo trunk. I met 1 dude that listen to Dom in my city and he one of them weird skinny jean wearing, paying 3k for yeezys is cool 150 for a long tee type of dude.

I'm in Baltimore and people **** wit him round here. I agree tho quality went down since yellow album and Troy is trash

20K for Dom Kennedy is far from an L

:lol: @ These dudes thinking that it would have been better for him to put it on DatPiff for free and make NO money instead of putting it out, getting 60-90% of 20k x $12, just to avoid "flop" jokes from the Internet. Same could be said for Troy Ave.

:lol: @ These dudes thinking that it would have been better for him to put it on DatPiff for free and make NO money instead of putting it out, getting 60-90% of 20k x $12, just to avoid "flop" jokes from the Internet. Same could be said for Troy Ave.

These dudes know nothing about business. I rather be Independent selling 10-30k albums and getting 80+% if revenue AND keep my money I make doing shows, than have a label deal with all these folks in my pocket, and I have no control over my music.

I think the average listener is still stuck in the old way of thinking. They think bigger is better and you can only flourish if you're selling out stadiums and have sprite commercials. Meanwhile...some of the dudes being gassed the most and are selling six-seven figures but have 360 deals and are getting raped behind the scenes. Call me crazy but I'd rather be indie and have a scalable fan base and revenue potential than to be a "star" in today's climate.

I think the average listener is still stuck in the old way of thinking. They think bigger is better and you can only flourish if you're selling out stadiums and have sprite commercials. Meanwhile...some of the dudes being gassed the most and are selling six-seven figures but have 360 deals and are getting raped behind the scenes. Call me crazy but I'd rather be indie and have a scalable fan base and revenue potential than to be a "star" in today's climate.

I agree. However, in Troy's case I think the slander comes from the fact there's obviously people behind the scenes with influence who are pushing him to become the next big thing out of NYC. Even though he doesnt have a label, its obvious his "buzz" and appearance at Summer Jam is manufactured. Look at the features on the album. Thats an A-list feature list for a mainstream artist, but for a dude who's supposedly independent, its just rididculous. You're not going to convince me they're doing it off the strength for free, because son's music isnt even good.

He may not technically be signed to a label, but I highly doubt he's seeing the same percentage of his money as other independent artists. Dude has people in the industry behind him and I highly doubt they're working for free.

Oh believe me, I did not have Troy in mind when I said that. He definitely is a failed industry plant. I'm not buying his independence at all. I cried laughing when he said he gets big names features off the strength. That was a complete flat out lie.

Last edited:
I think there needs to be another thread discussing industry plants. Rap is full of them right now.

Congrats to all the independent artist making 80% of their cheese. A flop is a flop either way, but if u can money while flopping good for them.

But what is a flop tho? Isn't that scalable depending on who you are and what budget goes into a project?

If Drake sells 20K that's a flop. If someone like Dom Kennedy sells 20K...that sounds about right. I don't think yall understand how distribution works. Someone like Dom probably doesn't even produce 150K CDs to ship.

I've never heard Dom Kennedys name outside of NT.

I from 757 VA

I only know of dude from his beef he had with the NTer

**note** 757 VA is totally different than Northern VA/DC

I personally know Hovain and Troy's camp, they are independent. that argument is dead...

****** grind behind the scenes for a long time and make the right connections before anything pops off, but because it isn't seen on the internet it's not considered real by today's standards. But dudes like Post Malone aren't questioned about being industry plants. I get it, music is subjective but when did bias turn into lies and hate.

Last edited:
If he's 100% independent as you claim, then you're telling me he's one of the greatest independent artists of all time...with the least amount of accomplishments to show for it. XXL cover, summer jam main stage, major artist collaborations that were pro-bono, etc.

I'm sorry, I'm not buying that there isn't a hidden hand somewhere. Even charlegmagne saw how ridiculous the free feature comment sounded. Ain't no amount of "grinding", getting you free feature from major artists.

Someone is force feeding us this kid, and it's not working.

Him being 100% independent doesn't change the fact that he's local and isn't very liked amongst the internet

Back
Top Bottom