I want to show you guys this vid from the /B/ Cringe thread vol. Do fat people repulse you?

That wasn't used as an insult club, I ain't trying to ruffle anybody's feathers- but this thread has just turned into a back and forth about different scenarios and opinions (for the most part). I'm not seeing any progress, but y'all can keep debating all u want. I figured you were getting paid to do it- whatever floats your boat though

^agreed with Charles right there
eh not really..it's really come down to one or two people talmbout if you're 'poor' you can't eat healthy which is complete bunk.  nobody will let it go, doesn't change the fact that it's bunk.  that's not my opinion, it's fact.  heart of b'more, plenty of regular grocers to go to.  during the day carts with fruits and veggies round fells point.  if someone doesn't wanna take the time to do it, that's one thing but to say it isn't available?  that's ******** famb.  
I want to know, did you take the time to read my "wall of text?"

I'm kinda sad nobody replied to it, though it would be the end of this conversation 
ohwell.gif

Food is only half the battle. 

I'm going to say what I have to say.

Education is key. I'm sure we all can agree on that. If we educate an unhealthy community, then a large amount will be inspired to change. There are those who don't, and natural selection will take care of that. It sounds harsh, but that is how it works. A slimmer shape can be maintained with a good diet and exercise, but it is a bit harder to do when you are heavily obese. It requires more time, and more energy, when simple tasks are already difficult. So when people say; "stop being fat" it's stupid, it doesn't work that way.

Education is key, but where here is anyone promoting any wellness to the obese population? Are you making websites, or making fliers, or however you would educate a group? Or are you sitting here on Niketalk posting images of fat people saying they are repulsive. That isn't educational, that is hurtful. I'd love it if you guys got together and planned some sort of event to promote wellness among the community. I'd join you. 

But complaining that fat people are fat, and they are trying to cushion the blows of the daily hate they receive is just pointless. If you say we need education. Teach. Don't wait for Captain Planet to say "Hey guys, salad is awesome!" If you really believe education is key, which it is, teach. If you aren't willing to teach the next man about nutrition, don't complain about a lack of education.

As for discrimination. This is where I am not happy. There is nothing I can do to stop people from discriminating at a job, or out in public. You just can't teach that. This is where I believe certain "laws" need to be put in place. To stop further discrimination. The positive education, plus the equality among the people will promote wellness more than any hate, or pro-fat bill could. 

Anti-bullying programs are definitely needed more than they are given in today's society. I've got a ten year old sister who sees this kind of nonsense on the daily. I wish she didn't have to see it, just as much as I wish that child wasn't pushed around. When there is a sixty-three percent higher chance of getting bullied do to childhood obesity, programs are needed. Or these kids are going to grow up feeling worthless, and depressed. 

Do I agree with a pro-fat organization? No. Do I find obesity attractive? No.

However, I am against the hate. 

Educate, and break discrimination patterns and you will have much better results than saying "stop being fat."
good post!  i think the problem with the entire theme of your post is that it's putting the onus on the wrong set of people:  the ones who aren't obese.  why is it our job to educate those that are obviously unwilling to educate themselves?  of course we're on NT doin it, that's what NT does.  are we supposed to educate the birds we constantly make fun of on how to stop being slutty and respect themselves?  ain't no teachin that, if they don't respect themselves enough to go out and garner that info for themselves, what's the point?  nobody on NT gonna start a rally or an event doin that fambs, you should know that.  kids have ALWAYS been nasty little ankle biters.  bullying has ALWAYS been this way and always will be.  humans are vicious and none more vicious than the youngins.  i got bullied in high school, it sucked..but i'm glad i did.  made me stronger, made me tougher, made me set goals for myself and when i met those goals, ol dudes had nothin to say to me.  had an old bully see me at the bar lookin good and came over and bought me a beer.  felt pretty 
pimp.gif

i agree with the premise, at least as far as stopping the hate.  unfortunately, humans aren't like that.  the hate will NEVER stop, there's always some ignorant dude just waiting to dig into somebody.  i suppose forming groups to try and curb this behavior is a good step, i just feel like the people that join those groups are already in that mindset and they aren't the targets....the targets these groups wanna try and educate wouldn't even dream of trying.  aint no law in the world gonna stop someone from sayin, 'hey fatty, stop being fat,'.  just not very realistic.

eh not really..it's really come down to one or two people talmbout if you're 'poor' you can't eat healthy which is complete bunk.  nobody will let it go, doesn't change the fact that it's bunk.  that's not my opinion, it's fact.  heart of b'more, plenty of regular grocers to go to.  during the day carts with fruits and veggies round fells point.  if someone doesn't wanna take the time to do it, that's one thing but to say it isn't available?  that's ******** famb.  

Poor usually correlates to being uneducated though.. right?

Yes no doubts there are healthier food alternatives for people in poverty to choose from however for a majority, they rather choose an easy meal (drive thru) which is usually high in fat and calories.

For most of us, going to school and graduating is common sense but for kids in the hood/public housing, it's not! It's the same type of mindset when choosing what to eat.

good post!

1226px-Happy-oh-stop-it-you-l.png

i think the problem with the entire theme of your post is that it's putting the onus on the wrong set of people:  the ones who aren't obese.  why is it our job to educate those that are obviously unwilling to educate themselves?  of course we're on NT doin it, that's what NT does.  are we supposed to educate the birds we constantly make fun of on how to stop being slutty and respect themselves?  ain't no teachin that, if they don't respect themselves enough to go out and garner that info for themselves, what's the point?  nobody on NT gonna start a rally or an event doin that fambs, you should know that.

I see what you mean, but when you have dudes straight angry about fat people and how they need to be educated. Well. Who else is going to educate them? It has to start somewhere. Even if it's just telling the next obese individual their current health risks, it's something.

There isn't really a way to teach women to be respectable p, that's a parents job. But health is a pretty universal topic that anyone can talk about. I don't think it should be that hard to tell someone they are at risk, instead of complaining about it behind their computer screen.

kids have ALWAYS been nasty little ankle biters.  bullying has ALWAYS been this way and always will be.  humans are vicious and none more vicious than the youngins.  i got bullied in high school, it sucked..but i'm glad i did.  made me stronger, made me tougher, made me set goals for myself and when i met those goals, ol dudes had nothin to say to me.  had an old bully see me at the bar lookin good and came over and bought me a beer.  felt pretty 
pimp.gif

I think is is where the problem lies. People think; "since I was bullied, it's fine for other kids to get bullied! Builds character!"

Which is wrong. Different people react to stressful situations differently. I don't know the exact percentage, but the depression/suicide rate is much higher for bullied children than for kids who aren't bullied. So when you have obese children victim to bullying at a 63% chance higher than the average kid, it's just too much risk to sit around and be fine with.

It's wrong to sit by and let bullying slide.

i agree with the premise, at least as far as stopping the hate.  unfortunately, humans aren't like that.  the hate will NEVER stop, there's always some ignorant dude just waiting to dig into somebody.  i suppose forming groups to try and curb this behavior is a good step, i just feel like the people that join those groups are already in that mindset and they aren't the targets....the targets these groups wanna try and educate wouldn't even dream of trying.  aint no law in the world gonna stop someone from sayin, 'hey fatty, stop being fat,'.  just not very realistic.

Yeah, unfortunately. Though I am not for laws trying to stop people from having views. I am more for laws that stop discrimination in the workplace. Like we have the EEOC. Just a program to stop employers from giving the other person a job for the wrong reasons.

Thanks for replying :frown: someone cares :lol:

Poor usually correlates to being uneducated though.. right?

Yes no doubts there are healthier food alternatives for people in poverty to choose from however for a majority, they rather choose an easy meal (drive thru) which is usually high in fat and calories.

For most of us, going to school and graduating is common sense but for kids in the hood/public housing, it's not! It's the same type of mindset when choosing what to eat.
its funny you say that...just was out started a youth outreach...community center thrift store etc... and did a session with some kids...and they went out to eat...thinking of this thread, talked to them bout what they got/eat for lunch/break... i mentioned eating good/healthy lowkey...one catstr8 up told me...nah **** i dont uck wit such and such, dat be dem white folks food. A girl opted out buying some juice... cause she was tired and wanted a monster...and needed to save money to sell food stamps for whatever..and shared her monster drink with a newborn

These ppl kids/parents i dealt with werent stupid/ignorant.....they was just selfish lazy and did what they like wanted for themselves and went out they way to be ignorant.Is this a overview of all ppl NO.. But its a good indicator and its alot of ppl who view/think like this.

This thread is wild.  Some insightful opinions, but then some bone-headed ones.

I believe OBESITY is a choice.  More calories in with less calories out = FAT accumulation.

You have to pay attention to what you're putting into your body.

I believe it's less of a choice for women due to hormonal changes.

also think it's somewhat shameful to put so much effort into shaming someone for their poor life decisions, poor diet or otherwise.

also think it's somewhat shameful to put so much effort into shaming someone for their poor life decisions, poor diet or otherwise.

Not if the people making the poor decisions are pushing to have their lifestyles be considered the norm.

Not if the people making the poor decisions are pushing to have their lifestyles be considered the norm.

agreed, just think they're better things to do than hate fat people.

BUMP.

http://news.yahoo.com/yorkers-heavy-bike-share-weight-limit-210529558.html

How do you guys feel about this? See this is the kind of ******** I can't stand. We have to design products and word the way we sell stuff to cater to the exceptional big person. "One size can't fit all so it has to fit most" Then we got all the big people crying who probably had no intention of using theb ike in the first place or acting like this is the only way to exercise. And a simple safety requirement is suddenly a discriminatory policy.

New Yorkers get heavy on bike share weight limit
ReutersBy Atossa Araxia Abrahamian | Reuters – Thu, May 2, 2013

Email
Share2
Print

By Atossa Araxia Abrahamian

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City's upcoming public bike share program, Citibike, has already irked parking space seekers, food cart vendors and locals who resent seeing a Citibank sponsor logo on nearly every block.

Now, heavier New Yorkers can be added to the list.

According to the program's user contract, riders "must not exceed the maximum weight limit" of 260 pounds (120 kg) if they wish to sign up for the short-term bike rentals that will soon be available on city streets.

"These technical specs are established by the equipment manufacturer and are the same as other bike share cities around the world," said Seth Solomonow, a spokesman for the New York City Department of Transportation, which oversees the program that is funded by Citibank.

The bike program, slated to launch later this Spring, will make several thousand bicycles available throughout the city for cyclists who sign up for yearly, weekly, or daily passes. The bikes can be picked up and dropped off at different docking stations during the course of a day and are meant to provide an alternative to traveling by subway, bus, or car.

The city has no way of enforcing the weight limit, and Solomonow said that he and his department "expect people will use the bikes safely."

New York City residents Amanda Wotton, 26, and Anthony Laporta, 31, said the policy is not fair.

"The city should provide different types of bikes so everyone can participate," said Laporta, a computer technician with a slender build who was enjoying a salad lunch in the park outside the New York Public Library. "Otherwise, someone's definitely going to feel left out."

Wotton, an average-size woman who works as a graphic designer, observed that 260 pounds "isn't even that much -- there are probably big muscular guys and NFL players that would be barred from cycling."

Groups advocating for the rights of obese and overweight people also criticized Citibike's terms of service. James Zervios, a spokesman for the Obesity Action Coalition, called the policy discriminatory.

"If the city's offering bikes they should have bikes that accommodate all shapes and sizes," Zervios said. "This is another example of a certain population being pulled out and put under a spotlight for no reason."

Policies that single out heavy people have become more common in recent years, Zervios noted.

Last month, Samoa Air began determining plane ticket prices based on a passenger's weight and the length of their trip, and several years ago, some ambulance crews raised their regular fees when transporting very heavy people.

The Citibike program has gained a number of detractors in the city. Irate drivers insist precious parking spaces should not be taken over by bike racks. Owners of a housing cooperative, or co-ops, in downtown Manhattan have claimed the stations are dangerous to people walking out of their building.

Preservationists in historic neighborhoods like Fort Greene in Brooklyn say the Citibank-branded installations are an eyesore. And food cart vendors have protested against a station they say displaced their business.

(Reporting by Atossa Araxia Abrahamian; Editing by Barbara Goldberg and Marguerita Choy)

Back
Top Bottom