If money wasnt a issue where would you Visit

New york. and then maybe somewhere most people dont go like russia or antarctica or somethin

Japan.

My bro just got his orders to be stationed in Okinawa.

Spoiler [+]
bgv0oj.gif

Unless you really, really love Rembrandt or North Sea Canals, I not know why Amsterdam still holds such a Mystique. It is easier to get Marijuana, Prostitutes or to see live sex shows in Los Angeles (as long as you read LA weekly). In fact, it is actually difficult for tourists to smoke in "coffee shops." Rather predictably, local stoners in Amsterdam got tired of frat boys and other species of bros, from the US, invading their neighborhood hangouts so now only citizens or resident aliens can even go into one of those places.

I have been to Europe several times and I would still recommend Amsterdam but only to some who actually like the culture of the Europe low countries (that part of Europe that wedged between France and Germany). While you do not have to be a PhD holding professor nor a world class art collector to enjoy Europe, it is best enjoyed as a cultural experince and not as a hedonistic experience (there are countless places in the USA where you can get an eightball and some brain, if that is what is the fulcrum of your expectations).

If you are on the fence about a trip to Europe because you think it is too expensive, it is a lot less expensive to travel through Eurupe than one would think. Obviously, staying at Youth Hostels and having picnic lunches and street food are very cheap but if you want some thing nicer, you can still get good meals out and good stays and good hotels and B&B's, if you know where to look.

Avoid large hotel chains, they have you paying upwards of 300 per Euro per night to stay in place that looks and feels no different from the Hilton in Los Angeles. You can pay 25 to 75 Euro to stay at s mall Hotel or B&B, stay with domestic tourists (people from that same country who are from another region e.g. Parisians who are visiting Toulon) or savvy international travelers and in the morning the proprietor serves a delicious, seasonal and authentic breakfast before you get your day started.

During the day, avoid certain monuments. You will wait in line for hours to go up the Eiffel Tower or the Leaning Tower of Pisa or to See the English Crown Jewels. Either avoid the height of the tourist season or just gaze at the ultra iconic building from afar and avoid long lines by visiting lesser known but equally wonder opera houses, concert halls, shopping districts, resort towns, churches, cathedrals, art museums, palaces, castles and natural landmarks. Get lunch at the either the vendors in the farmers market used by local (Europeans have always bough fresh and local produce so farmers markets are just what ever the local word for market is

Avoid restaurants that are located near places that sell tourist trinkets, avoid restaurants that are overtly bilingual (there are places in Italy and Frnace and Germany, that have a huge neon sign that says "we speak English"). Those places charge way too much and the food is usually not bad but it is not fresh and the reason is because they have huge menu and they cook things with out of season ingredients. Americans in France want Ratatouille in Paris in Winter, German Spargel in the Autumn and Italian Truffles in the Summer. Europeans know that Americans insist on certain iconic foods when they are it Europe so they try their best but because most European dishes are fairly simple in their preparation, ingredients really make the dish and that is why they eat what is local and seasonal (even in French cuisine, many of the recipes have few ingredients and only use sauces or complex use of eggs or cream and flour to enhance good ingredients). In addition to avoiding other tourists, traveling to Europe in fall and winter is when many of the best delicacies are in season: German apple and pork dishes, Italian Truffles, French oyster dishes and that is when the best restaurant in town makes Sauerbraten and French Onion soup a core part of the menu.

Go where locals eat and order from the chalk board, that is not in English or from the Menu that is very small (the best European restaurants are usually truly family run businesses where the dad is the chef, the mom is the hostess and waitress and their nieces and nephews act as the one or two sous chefs and one or two bus boys). Remember that locals actually like Americans who are savvy enough to walk off the main street and are willing to try a place with menu that is written in Italian or French. Even if the owners do not speak English, the young people who work there almost always know some English or there might be regulars who know the food and who know English. For Europeans, especially in France and the Mediterranean, food and wine are a form of art, something to be savored and something to be talked about with fellow restaurant patrons and workers. You should be able to get a fantastic, multi-course meal in Europe for under 50 euro. Also, unless a place has at least one Michelin star, you should never pay over 100 euro per head.

For me, if I had unlimited money, I would travel to Russia (Moscow makes Amsterdam look like Suburbia, USA) but you need money for bribes and bribes and probably more bribes and after you get shaken down my the authorities and you still look prosperous, you will need to pay the Russian mafia protection money. There is also the matter of buying good track suits and having gold cloth and thread sewn into it (no joke, I read about some Russian Mafia guys who have dozens of "luxury" track suits with fur and Cloth of gold blended into their Adidas track suits. With enough cash, you could probably not only get a bucnh of 50 cal. canons to fire but you could launch tactical nukes from a Helicopter.

Japan would also be great, I would try to see if I could pend a million dollars on food for myself and three friend in under a month. Also being a weaboo and all, it would be pretty fun to sit on the floor with the Yakuza and sip $500 dollar per glass drinks. The ultra laconic and wise Yakuza bosses would make my day and I do not even have to know Japanese to adsorb their wisdom.

Originally Posted by Tr1ll

Japan.

My bro just got his orders to be stationed in Okinawa.

Spoiler [+]
bgv0oj.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Yo Japan has some banging women. 

Other than Japan....:

Space/Mars 

Moscow 

Hong Kong

Italy 

Greece 

Literally, everywhere. All the countries, 20,000 leagues under the sea, Moon and Mars, etc.

Went to Greece for my honeymoon. Wasn't at all that expensive, but we got a great deal on airfare (2009). Santorini and Crete, then Athens for 2 days. Solid trip.

If money wasn't in issue, I'd take a yr away from work and just roam Eurpoe.

Road trip across the US + Hawaii, back to Japan, Italy, Greece, Germany for beerfest, Ireland, Egypt, Brazil etc... I would travel non stop
laugh.gif

Vancouver
Hong Kong
Mumbai
Seattle
LA
NYC
Amsterdam
Sydney
Mexico City
Rio de Janeiro
Toronto
Paris
London
Green Bay
Rome
Vatican City
Versaille
Egypt
All over Africa
Tokyo
Moscow
Krakow
Brussels
Beijing

Athens
Live in San Fran AND Chicago AND DC

Guyana, Brazil, Switzerland, UK, Japan, Australia, Angola, South Africa, Italy, the whole word, etc. etc.

I'd visit every landmark mentioned in the book Angels & Demons. Mainly the Vatican's secret archives.

Back
Top Bottom