IGN's Top 10 Final Fantasy VII Characters

I know you guys love lists(especially the ones I put up
laugh.gif
), so in honor of the release of Crisis Core, here's a list I'm sure you all will love(orhate).

From IGN:
[h1]Final Fantasy VII: Top 10 Characters[/h1]

[h2]Uncut, unedited and utterly biased, our top FFVII heroes and villains.[/h2]

http://stars.ign.com/email.html

It's not quite the 10th anniversary of Final Fantasy VII anymore. The game dropped in America in the fall of 1997, so right now it's more like the 10th-and-a-half. With the release of Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII, though, Square Enix has only just now closed the book on what may be its most beloved RPG saga. The whole story's told, every loose end tied off, and our heroes are (mostly) living happily ever after now.

A lot of things went into making FFVII a breakthrough hit. Technologically, it marked the beginning of a new age in RPGs, with flat old-school sprites giving way to modern 3D worlds. You can't chalk it all up to flashy graphics and cinematics, though. FFVII's cast features a handful of all-time favorites, characters that gamers all over the world fell for.

Everyone, of course, has their personal number one (and two, and three, and probably 10, 11, or 12). Since we all love an old-fashioned argument starter, though, here come our choices for Midgar's top 10.

Honorable Mentions

Jenova

We'll never know just what she looked like to start with.
She doesn't quite qualify for the main top 10, because let's be honest with ourselves - you probably have to have a few spoken lines to count as a "character." Consider Jenova more of a nifty-looking plot device, since her numerous mutated alien forms made for great stomach-turning boss monsters. She was also the centerpiece of a classic cinema sequence, as Sephiroth wrenched her bizarre "masked" coffin down from the wall of the Nibelheim mako reactor.

Vincent Valentine

Man, you look pale. Are you sure you're feeling okay?
Nowadays, Vincent's look is just a little played. There's been a lot of water run under the gothsploitation bridge over the last 10 years, not least by the Final Fantasy series itself - the bad guys in Advent Children could really have used a little bit more color in their fashion diets. In his time, though, Vincent was a heck of a striking character design, and FFVII's 3D engine made his shape-shifting Limit Breaks some surprisingly scary stuff. Remembering Advent Children also recalls one of the movie's most visually inventive scenes, made possible by Vincent's awesome prehensile cape.

10. Cait Sith

The most famous robot cat on a porky Moogle of all time.
For the folks out there who think they're hardcore, here's a quick quiz question. How do you pronounce "Cait Sith"? It's not spelled like it sounds, to put it mildly - you say it "Kett Shee," which comes from old Irish, a language that was conceived from the start to make non-native speakers look stupid. Consider it one of many little practical jokes that the robot cat and his big pet moogle play on everyone around them. Their biggest punch line, of course - they're actually working for Shinra - didn't exactly go over all that well, but still, it's hard to hate these guys for long.

9. Red XIII

His lack of opposable thumbs ain't gonna save you.
An encore pop-quiz for the hotshots out there: what's Red XIII's real name? "Red XIII," you may remember, is a nickname Hojo gave him -- "Red" for his flaming crimson fur, plus the experiment designation the Shinra mad scientist burned into his flanks. His adoptive father, however, named him Nanaki, and presumably that's the name he went by after returning home to Cosmo Canyon). While he's no longer the only confirmed survivor of Final Fantasy VII's explosive climax (an honor Advent Children sadly stole from him), he's still one of the most distinctive characters in the history of the series.

8. Cid Highwind

"Hey, Barrett, you got a cigarette?"
Every Final Fantasy game has a Cid, and every Cid is different. In Final Fantasy VIII, he's a mild-mannered educator. In Final Fantasy V, he's an aging, retired genius. Then there's Cid Highwind, the greatest of all Cids, the missing link between Chuck Yeager, Werner von Braun, and John Constantine. He grouses, chain-smokes, swears up a storm, wipes battlefields clear with one swing of his lance, and wants nothing more than to travel to the stars in his own custom-built rocket ship. Truly, a role model for our times.

7. Yuffie Kisaragi

Even when she was a kid, she had a mouth on her.
Yeah, for a while there, she's a pain in the neck. When she's not making off with your materia, though (or making you work through confusing conversation trees to try and recruit her into the party full-time), Yuffie belongs in the Wacky Sidekicks wing of the RPG hall of fame. She's cute, she's funny, she swings a shuriken the size of the rims on Jay-Z's Bentley - it's an unbeatable combination. It's no surprise that Square would use a lot of the Yuffie formula (albeit without the giant shuriken, more's the pity) for Rikku in Final Fantasy X.

6. Zack Fair

From background filler to his very own game.
A couple of years ago, Zack wouldn't be here. In plain old Final Fantasy VII, he had about as big a role as Jenova - he was part of the plot, sure, but he didn't have a whole lot to say. The PSP's Crisis Core gave him a leg up, though, letting him star in his own adventure and fill in a little of the personality he was missing. It's not spoiling much to say he dies at the end (since he already checked out in FFVII's flashbacks), but his check-out scene in Crisis Core is just about as epic as it gets in videogames.

5. Reno

You can always tell Reno. He's the one who doesn't look like a total stiff.
Shinra's infamous goon squad, the black-suited Turks, tends to fade into one big amorphous, black-and-white blob. Most of them look like background characters cut out of Reservoir Dogs. One member has always stood out from the pack, though - everyone's favorite loud-mouthed, fire-haired, face-tattooed tough guy. Reno was a cult fave even before Advent Children, where he gave the movie some desperately-needed comic relief. Since then, his un-tucked style and uncensored attitude has kept converting more and more fans.

4. Tifa Lockhart

Not to mention, the movie made her a smidge less top-heavy.
It's hard to sing Tifa's praises without sounding just a little teeny-weeny bit sexist. After all, she is well-known for many different reasons, but two of those reasons tend to stand out ahead of the others. Seriously, though, Tifa helped drive a tradition of tough, independent RPG heroines. She stood by her man when the situation called for it, but she didn't mind doing some damage on her own time, either. There's never been a part-time bartender this dangerous, and Advent Children proved her day job doesn't mean she's lost a step.

3. Cloud Strife

Cheer up, emo Cloud.
He's the guy on the box cover, so he has to at least make the top three, right?

Maybe he's getting sold a little bit short, here, but maybe it just goes to show how many legends FFVII gave to the videogaming pantheon. The spiky blond hair is still as famous as just about anything else in the game, and the same goes for his legendarily improbable Buster Sword. It's not just the look that made him memorable, though - in his time, he was a surprisingly complex hero for a videogame, and he helped pave the way for even more involved and engaging characterizations to come.

2. Aerith Gainsborough

A face you can't help but fall for.
As of this writing, Final Fantasy VII came out ten years, six months, three weeks, and a day ago. Is it okay to mention what happens to Aerith at the end of the game's first disc? Very few characters who don't even make it halfway through a story become quite this beloved, but Aerith made the most of her limited time center stage, not to mention her few brief appearances afterward. She's part girl-next-door, part angel come to earth - no wonder she became a gaming icon.

1. Sephiroth

Seriously - How does he get his hair to do that?
Some Final Fantasy games are famous for their heroes. Just as often, though, the bad guys are the ones that really stick with you. Kefka Palazzo (from Final Fantasy VI) is another well-known example of the phenomenon, but Sephiroth is probably the heavyweight champion of Final Fantasy villains.

Part of it's the look - admirers worldwide went nuts for the long silver hair and piercing blue eyes. But at the same time, you couldn't help but sympathize with him, too. Trying to blow up the world with a giant meteor probably qualifies as flying off the handle, but nevertheless, he had his reasons. Besides which, once again, no would-be world-destroyer has ever looked this good since.

Is there anywhere i can buy this game or something and have it immediately downloaded so i can play? im itching for it and i lost my disks a while ago

they run for about 60-80 on ebay, but you can still download it and play on your psp or computer.

f that

Cloud > Aerith...c`mon now, IGN giving her the sympathy vote
smh.gif

there was no way they were going to mess up #1...
pimp.gif
and IMO Sephiroth`s theme is one of the greatest ever for a villain...in any genre

they really do need to remake this game...i'm not an advocate of remakes but an updated, modern joint on the PS3 would be
eek.gif
pimp.gif

a SYSTEM seller, no doubt about it

Originally Posted by justinvincent

I remember being hella heated when Yuffie jacked all your materia and money.
laugh.gif

Cat Sith ftw.

Yeah I can remember that, lol. Man I was pissed. Remember getting into a groove in leveling up your people and then "you know who gets killed".Man I took a major hit on the team there.

I always thought Cid and Barret were badass.

So no remake on the PS3?
ohwell.gif
Is this confirmed?

Sephiroth at #1.

That's all that needs to be said.

Which reminds me, I need to pick up FFVII: Crisis Core.

Sephiroth was the man.

Final Fantasy was one of the only games that allowed me to form an emotional attachment to the character. When people went down it really sucked.

That game is probably still in my top 5.

I agree with the list execpt for

10. CaitSith

They should be in the top 5

I know everyone here remembers their special move
that thing took up 2 mins and was simply amazing and have never been beat by any final fantasy game

Well, a lot of people love it... it's not overrated, it's just that a lot of people think it's an all-time great game.

I don't know how a game can be overrated. The majority opinion is the majority opinion.

Loved this game, I Recently played FF3 right to the end..
They dont make RPG's like they used to
I grabbed enchanted arms for 360 cuz I heard it was somewhat like FF... Its MAD felacius, Some really suspect things about that game

Originally Posted by DocDoon

Loved this game, I Recently played FF3 right to the end..
They dont make RPG's like they used to
I grabbed enchanted arms for 360 cuz I heard it was somewhat like FF... Its MAD felacius, Some really suspect things about that game

moz-screenshot-1.jpg

The game??! Look at your avy lol
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
haha naw, I'm kidding man. That was just funny to me

How is there a top 10 characters for just Final Fantasy 7 in the first place? Vincent being an honorable mention but Cait Sith being on there? Wow wow wow.

Am I the only one who thinks FF is overrated...good game...but overrated.
Nope. Especially 7, probably one of the most overrated games of all time, and FF being one of the most overrated series as well. Id put Halo 1-3as the most overrated of all time by far.

I don't understand how Vincent is just a honorable mention and Barrett is nowhere on the list.
smh.gif

Sephiroth being number #1 is perfect. Masamune>>>>>>>>Buster Sword

I remember being hella heated when Yuffie jacked all your materia and money.

laugh.gif

i was super heated too.

ff07 is one of the games that the guide is a must.

gameshark doesn't hurt either.

Back
Top Bottom