I'm finna start these dreads up...

I know I dug this up, but rather that than make a new topic about the same ****.

On topic tho, I'm going through this thread for tips and it's good stuff. Worth the bump.

Y'all shoulder-length and beyond dudes always get the envy flowing within me, always see people in the streets looking like the ******* Lion of Judah while mine are struggling to catch a breeze and it's always
mad.gif
frown.gif
ohwell.gif
, in that order.
laugh.gif
 Nah, seriously it's good to see people embracing their roots.

I've had mine for about a year and they're still babies, really (I was so proud when I finally had to move a few to put my earphones in) but I really think it's one of the most significant things I've ever done. For me at least, it's more than a hairstyle, I started them up after I decided to go full-time freelance and my locs hold special significance, as they represent the new stage in my life as a writer, father, man and person. They're even part of my mental image of myself now...I see old pics and think I look weird without them.

All that and they're fun to shake around. Never gets old.

Anybody else mess around with color? I think it looks cool, but there's a real fine line you walk when dyeing your hair and ****.
laugh.gif

Anyway, props to all my loc bros on here...looking forward to information and conversation.

Friendly heads up, I'm hawking this thread for that one dude who is rockin the shaved front or sides with his dreads, and I WILL clown you.

I've been to fLorida before, saw 1 dude with dreads, wasn't that bad.
Well the dreads weren't that bad, fLorida was :x

Last edited:
Anybody else mess around with color? I think it looks cool, but there's a real fine line you walk when dyeing your hair and ****. :lol:

Nah. Dye/bleaching is a no go imo plus it weakens your hair.

I never had "length envy" as they call it...I just wanted to be able to put mine in a pony tail so they'd be out of the way :lol: I play basketball with a guy who's locs are past his waist. I couldn't do it.

Did not know it weakened the hair...here I go paying tribute to Brother Malcolm and I find out late I'm ******* with my **** in the process. Anything I can do to minimize/repair the damage?

Waist length
eek.gif
 that's WAY too much. I don't think I could go past the top of my back, that **** would be constantly in the way.

Dyeing your hair does not weaken it. Dyeing your hair and not taking care of it will weaken your hair. Ive died mines redish no problem and mines are going on 2 years. Dyeing actual speeds up the dreading process.

Oh ok good to hear, and that's what I went with too, a reddish bronze type color.

About taking care of it, I do need to do a better job wrapping my **** up at night and oiling up more often, but I have like, the original hair texture for dreads to the point where it loc'd up the first time it was twisted and I kinda took that for granted.

The woman told me about something called a hot oil treatment where I put coconut oil in there and sit under a dryer for like half an hour. Y'all do anything like that?

Oh, and how the hell do you actually know when these things are "mature"? Google Images turns up all kinds of looks, nobody seems to have a real, straight answer.

:rolleyes

Like bleaching, it weakens your hair, leaving it dull and damaged over time so that instead of luxurious curly locks or shiny straight tresses, your hair looks brittle and dry.
3. Highlights and coloring -- Highlights and semi-permanent dyes aren't as damaging as bleach, but they aren't without consequences, Mirmirani says. They can also change the inner structure of the hair, causing a lackluster look and dryness, especially if you frequently color to hide roots or gray hair.

http://www.webmd.com/beauty/hair-repair/8-ways-youre-damaging-your-hair

Reading is fundamental. The part I quoted talks about bleaching and Dyeing

For hair dye to work, ammonia literally lifts up your hair cuticle...

This chemical elevates the pH of the hair, and in doing so, the cuticle relaxes and lifts up. "The problem with that is once you've disturbed the cuticle, the damage has started because the cuticle is not meant to be lifted up," says Wilson.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/01/hair-dye-process_n_4181186.html

Friendly heads up, I'm hawking this thread for that one dude who is rockin the shaved front or sides with his dreads, and I WILL clown you.

My cousin was that guy and I always clowned him for it but dudes liked that look. I blame Omarion.

Started my dreads first week of September. Now it's February 11th. Some are locked and some are not. Wanting the Isaiah Rashad look but I may have to wait till' they fully lock so they can stand up on their own.

I need help guys. A couple years ago I started the process and my joints got around 2 inches in length and looked wavy as ****. They didn't yet lock but I had shorty re twisting them once a week and my hair was growing fast as hell. Long story short I decided to cut my hair for a job I didn't even stay at for long shorty was pissed cause all the time and effort she put into them :smh: recently I decided I was gonna start the process again but for whatever reason my back decided it wasn't gonna grow at all. My sides and back always grew slower back growing the slowest but it never grew this slow. I'm talking the top of my head is like 2 1/2 inches of length and my back is like a little more than a dark caesar. Talked to my pops who was a barber for like 20 years and he convinced me that I needed to cut it off and start again because my hair was extremely unhealthy and the back would not just magically start growing so I was wasting my time. My question for you guys is what products I can buy to stimulate hair growth ? The back specifically cause the sides and top doesn't bother me and also what type of foods should I be incorporating into my diet ? Also one last question can men take hairfinity pills ? I know a gang of females who grow 1-3 inches in 30 days taking those and I wouldn't have no problem using them myself I can. Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom