I'm finna start these dreads up...

You started with longer hair though so of course they're gonna look good 1 month in.

still going strong... about to cut them off though...

they get fuzzy way too fast for my liking b/c my hair type...

anybody else thinking about starting dreads, have some insight, or wanna post them pics, get in on this...

View media item 505294

It gets better ricky. It took me about 2 years before my hair really locked and stopped getting fuzzy quickly. Your hair doesn't look like its locked yet just in that perma-twist stage. Which isn't surprising considering you started with long hair.

is this considered a grave dig? anyway

thinking about getting my hair twisted next month but i want to start off with decent hangtime

getting tired of having to comb through this mess :lol:

it's pretty long right now i guess (been growing since last july) but i wanna be able to do the crime mob dread shake from day 1

thinking about getting my hair twisted next month but i want to start off with decent hangtime

it's pretty long right now i guess (been growing since last july) but i wanna be able to do the crime mob dread shake from day 1
ain't happening. :lol:

After about 3 years, you'll have some length

ain't happening. :lol:

After about 3 years, you'll have some length
i'm just talking about around this type of length

img-lupe-on-breakfast-club_075649178494.jpg

really i don't want them struggle jawns when your scalp all exposed but a couple girls i know that do hair said i'm past that point

Last edited:

really i don't want them struggle jawns when your scalp all exposed but a couple girls i know that do hair said i'm past that point
3 years still bro.

If you grow you hair out, as soon as you dread it, it's going to shrink.

You can pull it off if you stay with a nice edge up, clean face, and head accessory .

Look how wale did it. Dude STAYED with a fitted in the earlybdays

You're not a rapper though... So I suggest you Be comfortable in whatever you're doing for the next 3 years... Job wise.

You're going to struggle regardless . trust me...

Just gotta say eff it and keep pressing...

3 years still bro.

If you grow you hair out, as soon as you dread it, it's going to shrink.

You can pull it off if you stay with a nice edge up, clean face, and head accessory .

Look how wale did it. Dude STAYED with a fitted in the earlybdays

You're not a rapper though... So I suggest you Be comfortable in whatever you're doing for the next 3 years... Job wise.

You're going to struggle regardless . trust me...

Just gotta say eff it and keep pressing...
I'm going to school so I'll be good lol I've already evaluated all the variables.. been thinking about this since like 2011

and i posted the wrong pic :lol: i ment something like this cause this is around a full year after he started even growing his hair out.. that other one is from pretty recent i think

View media item 990716
did you end up cutting yours?

Last edited:
when yall say you should start them short about what length are you talking about or how long growing in terms of months?

It's 2014 bruhs :lol:

Get a cut and get a job (unless you already have one that your stable in for the rest of your life)

You're not a rapper ... So I suggest you Be comfortable in whatever you're doing for the next 3 years... Job wise.

I'm going to school so I'll be good lol I've already evaluated all the variables.. been thinking about this since like 2011

and i posted the wrong pic :lol: i ment something like this cause this is around a full year after he started even growing his hair out.. that other one is from pretty recent i think

View media item 990716
did you end up cutting yours?

Didn't cut mine. It thought about cutting it.. But I didn't.

when yall say you should start them short about what length are you talking about or how long growing in terms of months?

I always say start from where its short. As short possible.

To me, they just seem to grow quicker.

Plus, when you have long hair... And then get it dreads, it will shrink all the way up. Lol.

Ugly phase in unavoidable.

When I started my locks, I took out the braids I had in and cut my hair cut down. Went from a shoulder length hanging fro to a lil Michael in the Jackson 5 short joint and got em twisted up.

so I'd say about that length is perfect.

5-jackson5.jpg

for reference.

Ugly phase in unavoidable.

When I started my locks, I took out the braids I had in and cut my hair cut down. Went from a shoulder length hanging fro to a lil Michael in the Jackson 5 short joint and got em twisted up.

so I'd say about that length is perfect.

5-jackson5.jpg

for reference.

damn yall are calling that mj fro short? ok guess i gotta grow for a while. i was bald headed in january.

damn yall are calling that mj fro short? ok guess i gotta grow for a while. i was bald headed in january.
I disagree with those guys. I think you should start short. Its easier for the chick to part it and your parts will be crsiper and more even.

I don't care about the super even parts though, guess it just depends on the look you want.

I recommended that length to avoid, as someone else in here put it, the "chewed up gum" look. I had somewhat okay hang time off break. if you start too long they take longer to lock and if you start too short you look stupid for longer than you really should.

haven't had my hair shorter than braid length in like 12 years :lol:

dam that mj fro is short...... fml thought i was almost there lmao

been growing since jan 1st. every time i wake up sides are flat and the top is all long, like i have a mohawk type steeze. feel like cutting this everytime my friends go to the barber with clean waves
mean.gif
. i have coily hair so it is impossible to pic it out unless i take a shower before. and after spending 20 minutes making sure everything is all even i step outside and it just shrinks back down
mad.gif

plus my top grows a lot faster than the sides and back so it doesnt look even. hair grows pretty slow so i think ill be ready by the end of september

Earlier this year when I was getting my Gambino on I would put mostorizer in my hair everyday and it would help it to grow. Not sure if you are doing the same......I miss my fro.

Earlier this year when I was getting my Gambino on I would put mostorizer in my hair everyday and it would help it to grow. Not sure if you are doing the same......I miss my fro.
just got extra virgin coconut oil last week i think it has helped a lot, made my hair softer and i believe it is helping my hair grow. also i have started taking biotin 3 days ago supposed to help promote hair growth. we'll see though 

dam that mj fro is short...... fml thought i was almost there lmao

been growing since jan 1st. every time i wake up sides are flat and the top is all long, like i have a mohawk type steeze. feel like cutting this everytime my friends go to the barber with clean waves
mean.gif
. i have coily hair so it is impossible to pic it out unless i take a shower before. and after spending 20 minutes making sure everything is all even i step outside and it just shrinks back down
mad.gif

plus my top grows a lot faster than the sides and back so it doesnt look even. hair grows pretty slow so i think ill be ready by the end of september
i had this same problem, i started blow drying my hair and it has helped with keeping up my hair in a easy to pick form while not shrinking as well.

if you do blow dry your hair i reccomend that you keep it moisturized or else your hair will start to fall out as i'm having to learn the hard way

Back
Top Bottom