Im just tired of people comparing Geno Auriemma's Conneticut team to John Wooden's UCLA Team

The difference between Kareem and UCLA and the rest of the country is greater than the difference in talent gap between UCONN and the rest of the women's teams.

Originally Posted by mjd77

I'd also love to see these UCONN teams play a mens team in a preseason game.  I'd be willing to bet any top 25 mens team would beat them by 50+.
And WHAT would that prove?
laugh.gif
Shouldn't they beat them by 50?
laugh.gif

I'd also love to see these UCONN teams play a mens team in a preseason game.  I'd be willing to bet any top 25 mens team would beat them by 50+.
And WHAT would that prove?
laugh.gif
Shouldn't they beat them by 50?
laugh.gif

Remember, in womens bball just about everyone stays for 4 years which makes it easier to dominate and have the continuity that they have.
Good point. Forgot about that.  

Remember, in womens bball just about everyone stays for 4 years which makes it easier to dominate and have the continuity that they have.
Good point. Forgot about that.  

Originally Posted by SIR KYLE

Take any D-2 mens team or Any of the top 10 mens highschool teams and they will beat those girls....But like many have said that many wins in arow is hard to do but i could careless
So?

Take any D-2 mens team or Any of the top 10 mens highschool teams and they will beat those girls....But like many have said that many wins in arow is hard to do but i could careless
So?

There are so many things wrong with this post. 
laugh.gif

There are so many things wrong with this post. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by lynchpin33

Originally Posted by Durden7

This streak is very impressive but it is hard for me to give it the credit it deserves.  I have played basketball all my life and in highschool the girls would always have games before the boys.  One thing is that I noticed is that one girl can dominate a game on both sides of the floor, if she can dribble with both hands, shoot well, pass well, etc.  Our school had a girl who played varsity level ball for 5 years 7th thru the 12th grade and she was BY FAR the best in the region.  She won region player of the year 4 years in a row.  This girl dominated in all aspects, but in the boys arena the talent level is FAR more evenly distributed.  What you have is Geno basically running a monopoly on all the best talent in the country.  No longer is the best talent going to Tenn., La Tech, Stanford,  or any other traditional women's powerhouse.  All the best talent is now going to UCONN, all the other schools are getting good talent but it seems to be the talent that UCONN has no use for.  Don't get me wrong the streak is impressive, but really not that tough when you have all the best talent.  Really do you think that Geno and his staff could pull this off at IOWA State with second level talent???
Youre comparing HS to Division 1 athletes. 

laugh.gif
No, I don't think that I am comparing highschool to division 1 athletes, I am just using my personal experience and things I have watched first hand.  Basically saying that a girl who is physically advanced and more skilled than other females can dominate a game on BOTH ends.  It only takes one girl to dominate a game where in the men's arena, unless you have Kobe talent that is not necessarily going to happen.  I mean how many times have you seen a female with UConn women's basketball talent at your local gym (Maya Moore) not often.  I bet everyguy on this board can attest that most girls that play with the guys just get in the way 9/10 times.  The chances of playing with a Maya Moore or a Candace Parker (talent level wise) in your local gym are few and far in between.  But, you always see dudes who can play above the rim at a dime a dozen.  So now consequently you have Geno and his staff getting all the girls that have dominated in their respective areas, while other schools are getting girls who have dominated, but not on that Uconn women's type level.  So basically the female that I was talking about in my earlier post did not even have a chance of going to UConn, despite playing varsity from the seventh grade on up and being player of the year 9th thru 12th grade.  Even with all those accolades the biggest offer she got was from a D-1AA school.  She was not what you call "UConn Talent".  So that should tell you the talent level of the girls that they have at Uconn, and if he has 12 to 15 of them on his team, and everybody has one or two, that is why I cannot give that streak all that kind of credit.
12 to 15 girls on the team w/ that talent ... are u serious .... geno doesn't even offer all his available scholarships ... like it's been said ... even w/ loads of talent ... you gotta coach them up ... these girls play defense ... u think they win b/c tiffany hayes launches 3's from nba range all game ... or maybe they're winning now b/c they have a ton of freshman ... the uconn team has had walk ons ... so i'm sure it's not about a "uconn talent" thing ... they don't need your credit ...

the girls stay 4 years ...
they got a great coach ...
and they have the mindset of winning b/c of the programs history ... when you go to uconn you are expected to win ...

look how long it took tina charles to develop... charde houston never did anything @ uconn and she was the #1 hs ranked player ... its hard as hell to do what they do ... everyone has played their role and it's working out well right now ...

pimp.gif

This streak is very impressive but it is hard for me to give it the credit it deserves.  I have played basketball all my life and in highschool the girls would always have games before the boys.  One thing is that I noticed is that one girl can dominate a game on both sides of the floor, if she can dribble with both hands, shoot well, pass well, etc.  Our school had a girl who played varsity level ball for 5 years 7th thru the 12th grade and she was BY FAR the best in the region.  She won region player of the year 4 years in a row.  This girl dominated in all aspects, but in the boys arena the talent level is FAR more evenly distributed.  What you have is Geno basically running a monopoly on all the best talent in the country.  No longer is the best talent going to Tenn., La Tech, Stanford,  or any other traditional women's powerhouse.  All the best talent is now going to UCONN, all the other schools are getting good talent but it seems to be the talent that UCONN has no use for.  Don't get me wrong the streak is impressive, but really not that tough when you have all the best talent.  Really do you think that Geno and his staff could pull this off at IOWA State with second level talent???

laugh.gif
No, I don't think that I am comparing highschool to division 1 athletes, I am just using my personal experience and things I have watched first hand.  Basically saying that a girl who is physically advanced and more skilled than other females can dominate a game on BOTH ends.  It only takes one girl to dominate a game where in the men's arena, unless you have Kobe talent that is not necessarily going to happen.  I mean how many times have you seen a female with UConn women's basketball talent at your local gym (Maya Moore) not often.  I bet everyguy on this board can attest that most girls that play with the guys just get in the way 9/10 times.  The chances of playing with a Maya Moore or a Candace Parker (talent level wise) in your local gym are few and far in between.  But, you always see dudes who can play above the rim at a dime a dozen.  So now consequently you have Geno and his staff getting all the girls that have dominated in their respective areas, while other schools are getting girls who have dominated, but not on that Uconn women's type level.  So basically the female that I was talking about in my earlier post did not even have a chance of going to UConn, despite playing varsity from the seventh grade on up and being player of the year 9th thru 12th grade.  Even with all those accolades the biggest offer she got was from a D-1AA school.  She was not what you call "UConn Talent".  So that should tell you the talent level of the girls that they have at Uconn, and if he has 12 to 15 of them on his team, and everybody has one or two, that is why I cannot give that streak all that kind of credit.
12 to 15 girls on the team w/ that talent ... are u serious .... geno doesn't even offer all his available scholarships ... like it's been said ... even w/ loads of talent ... you gotta coach them up ... these girls play defense ... u think they win b/c tiffany hayes launches 3's from nba range all game ... or maybe they're winning now b/c they have a ton of freshman ... the uconn team has had walk ons ... so i'm sure it's not about a "uconn talent" thing ... they don't need your credit ...

the girls stay 4 years ...
they got a great coach ...
and they have the mindset of winning b/c of the programs history ... when you go to uconn you are expected to win ...

look how long it took tina charles to develop... charde houston never did anything @ uconn and she was the #1 hs ranked player ... its hard as hell to do what they do ... everyone has played their role and it's working out well right now ...

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
You did compare HS athletes to D1 athletes though.

The level of competition in HS is FAR inferior to D1.  A girl can dominate much more in HS but in college its not as easy.  Theres also no way that one girl can dominate a game in a girls game, yet in the mens game its not going to happen.  Thats just a discredit to the skills and abilities of female basketball players.

How many times has someone seen a UConn type talent at their local gym?  I dont think you thought this one through.  Just look at ratio of men and women who play basketball.  From a macro standpoint, theres FAR more men who play basketball then there are women and when its the numbers are looked at from a local gym perspective, its not surprising that most people dont find a UConn talent around them.  Of course you see dudes who play above the rim because men are physiologically more gifted at basketball then women are.  Thats not a discredit to women who play, its just the differences in gender.  So for you to say that because you see guys who play above the rim women are more adept at dominating their game is just wrong.

Just because she started for 5 years doesnt mean she automatically should be UConn talent.

Its not even like they get all the best players in the country.  Duke got just as many top level recruits as UConn did last year.  Tennessee and Stanford get top level talent.  Griner didnt go to UConn, she went to Baylor.

laugh.gif
You did compare HS athletes to D1 athletes though.

The level of competition in HS is FAR inferior to D1.  A girl can dominate much more in HS but in college its not as easy.  Theres also no way that one girl can dominate a game in a girls game, yet in the mens game its not going to happen.  Thats just a discredit to the skills and abilities of female basketball players.

How many times has someone seen a UConn type talent at their local gym?  I dont think you thought this one through.  Just look at ratio of men and women who play basketball.  From a macro standpoint, theres FAR more men who play basketball then there are women and when its the numbers are looked at from a local gym perspective, its not surprising that most people dont find a UConn talent around them.  Of course you see dudes who play above the rim because men are physiologically more gifted at basketball then women are.  Thats not a discredit to women who play, its just the differences in gender.  So for you to say that because you see guys who play above the rim women are more adept at dominating their game is just wrong.

Just because she started for 5 years doesnt mean she automatically should be UConn talent.

Its not even like they get all the best players in the country.  Duke got just as many top level recruits as UConn did last year.  Tennessee and Stanford get top level talent.  Griner didnt go to UConn, she went to Baylor.

Originally Posted by jsmith42

Originally Posted by PoloLax

The OP is downplaying it because he feels UConn has no competition. You may be right, but the reason there is no competition is because the University of Connecticut built their program into a dynasty and now the best players want to play for Geno.

A few years ago Pat Sumitt did the same thing at UT. 10 years ago I believe UT and La Tech were the teams to beat in women's college basketball, now it's UConn. Every dynasty comes to an end, the UConn women's team eventually will too, but you have to give them credit for what they are doing. Are men more skilled basketball players than women? Yes, most likely. But you are saying 88 in a row by a women's team isn't comparable to a men's team. The UCLA men played men. The UConn women are playing women, and they are playin the best teams at that.

From what I understand men who want to walk on to UConn's team, (which let me remind you isn't easy to do as UConn men have a great reputation and play in the best conference in the nation and are currently ranked 4th), most play with the UConn women first and from what I've been told/heard, the women are insane at the game.
That's interesting. I would like to see how some men(not just ya average off the street pick up ballers) would compare against the womens team

It's true. I went to UConn. The men's scout team also plays the Women's team I believe to make the practice squad more prepared for the men's team, and scout team members said the women can def. ball. It's just the size and power of men is too much for the women, which I think everyone knows.  

The OP is downplaying it because he feels UConn has no competition. You may be right, but the reason there is no competition is because the University of Connecticut built their program into a dynasty and now the best players want to play for Geno.

A few years ago Pat Sumitt did the same thing at UT. 10 years ago I believe UT and La Tech were the teams to beat in women's college basketball, now it's UConn. Every dynasty comes to an end, the UConn women's team eventually will too, but you have to give them credit for what they are doing. Are men more skilled basketball players than women? Yes, most likely. But you are saying 88 in a row by a women's team isn't comparable to a men's team. The UCLA men played men. The UConn women are playing women, and they are playin the best teams at that.

From what I understand men who want to walk on to UConn's team, (which let me remind you isn't easy to do as UConn men have a great reputation and play in the best conference in the nation and are currently ranked 4th), most play with the UConn women first and from what I've been told/heard, the women are insane at the game.
That's interesting. I would like to see how some men(not just ya average off the street pick up ballers) would compare against the womens team

It's true. I went to UConn. The men's scout team also plays the Women's team I believe to make the practice squad more prepared for the men's team, and scout team members said the women can def. ball. It's just the size and power of men is too much for the women, which I think everyone knows.  

so lets see, there's no competition in women's basketball? then why doesn't baylor, duke, stanford etc have winning streaks like this?

so lets see, there's no competition in women's basketball? then why doesn't baylor, duke, stanford etc have winning streaks like this?

Man exactly.  My roommate is a practice squad player here at Tennessee and I would argue that some of these girls are even more skilled than lots of D1 players.  A lot of you dudes are clueless man. 

Man exactly.  My roommate is a practice squad player here at Tennessee and I would argue that some of these girls are even more skilled than lots of D1 players.  A lot of you dudes are clueless man. 

Back
Top Bottom